The Next Gp32

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 29 2004 at 11:17 AM said:
Anox posted on Apr 28 2004 at 10:04 PM said:
Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 29 2004 at 02:10 AM said:
Since when have you been in the middle of mario and said "You know, it would be nice to know my exact location in the world, RIGHT NOW". ?
Lol, you crack me up :D
Well its true. Although a GPS is a cool gadget, it has no place on a game system.

really - what about using gps as a gameplay device on a mmorpg? e.g. go to scunthorpe to collect golden super duper armor

i thought that was the next big thing (tm)

granted, everyone will realise it's stupid eventually and just hack thier gps position, but british rail will sell a load of tickets to random places in the meantime

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mole posted on Apr 29 2004 at 02:27 AM said:
I can see the PSP being the biggest flop since the Amiga CD 32.
The PSP is gonna blow away all the competion no arguements, commercially at least. Homebrew wise with the mini cd`s and all it`ll be a bit of a nightmare so theres always gona be a gap for (hopefully) the gp32 or its successor

The Mole posted on Apr 29 2004 at 02:27 AM said:
I can see the PSP being the biggest flop since the Amiga CD 32.

You know they said the same thing about the Sony Playstation. Look whos laughing now. Sony is MUCH larger than nintendo. With the largest share in the gameing market period, and one of the biggest names in electronics worldwide, sony has the money, the backers, the support, and most of all, the talent, to make this thing a huge success.

Thing is, having a better machine and more money does not instantly guarantee success. Xbox is more powerful then the PS2, Microsoft has more money than Sony, but Sony won the previous console battle quite easily...

Also Nintendo has beaten Sega in the handheld market in the past, even though the gameboy was inferior to the gamegear. In the end it may all come down to price of the machines.

GB DS is not out yet, and they already talk about the successor?! Poor Nintendo.
The PSP will be amazing indeed, IMHO, but it won't be good for stuff like emulators: if I am not wrong PSP will have 2MB of RAM only (feel free to correct me). How can PSP support homebrew stuff? How can I (re)write a mini-cd everytime I need to copy something in?

The successor of GP32 will be... who cares.
If you want a new idea, I could say PXBox. We need a big rewritable memory and a lot of power, and my thoughts go directly to a possible PXBox.

Hail to the gp32_console

Charge posted on Apr 29 2004 at 04:55 AM said:
Thing is, having a better machine and more money does not instantly guarantee success. Xbox is more powerful then the PS2, Microsoft has more money than Sony, but Sony won the previous console battle quite easily...

Also Nintendo has beaten Sega in the handheld market in the past, even though the gameboy was inferior to the gamegear. In the end it may all come down to price of the machines.
I doubt it, GCs are less than 1/2 the price of PS2's, yet the PS2's still sell MUCH more than the GC's. Price isnt an issue. Its quality. You get what you pay for.

fdave: First, the games would need to be extremely regionalized, atleast by continent, possibly a custom version for every 1000 square miles in the world. Something thats nearly impossible for a publisher/developer to do. What person living in say Hawii. wants to travel 10,000 miles to florida to unlock a special item in a game? (sure there are probably a couple freeks out there that would, but thats one in a million) definitly not something worth the time and effort for the developer.

The only thing it could really be usefull for in a game, is, much better region protection (not a good thing IMHO), or some small regioin specific things in the games that really dont matter. Like it automatically knowing the time of day, maybe adjusting it in the game to the region you are in (this is assuming that the game developers actually have access to the GPS hardware, they havent said anything about that yet!) but really they cant use it for anything that would drastically effect the game or make any impact at all.

the new GP32? i dont see whats wrong with the current one ;) it has a pretty decent spec and hopefully has a long life well beyond its parent company GamePark.

Pirotic posted on Apr 29 2004 at 05:19 AM said:
the new GP32? i dont see whats wrong with the current one ;) it has a pretty decent spec and hopefully has a long life well beyond its parent company GamePark.
Bump the CPU upto 200mhz standard, throw in two extra buttons, double the memory, and leave it be. That would be the best handheld. Maybe an accelerated graphics chip as a bonus. All done without changing the internal workings of the system, same ARM type CPU, etc.., so that all current projects work on it just fine. I would pay $300+ for it.

Bump the CPU upto 200mhz standard, throw in two extra buttons, double the memory, and leave it be. That would be the best handheld. Maybe an accelerated graphics chip as a bonus. All done without changing the internal workings of the system, same ARM type CPU, etc.., so that all current projects work on it just fine. I would pay $300+ for it.

Yeh I would buy that too. Perhaps bump the speed up to 300MHz though since it is 2 year old technology and I don't think a graphics accelerator would be necessary, especially if the processor was a bit meatier. :D

I don't see much of a use for GPS for kids- apart from allowing advertisers to SPAM the users when they are near one of their restaurants etc "Hey you, fat kid, because you are using a Jizzmindo, come in to burger king and get 50p off! we are just round the corner" ...and then it sends you a link from streetmap.com-all automated of course. As for GPS in games? showing you if other users are near I suppose. The camera could be used for digitising faces for in game, or some sort of future eyetoy thing. Oh, and as a camera of course! I think the GPS will bring the price down not up, it's probably the main incentive for a lot of advertisers.

I think PSP will rule the roost unfortunately, it's a very impressive piece of kit. And developers love it because of the lower prices sony are charging for dev, and the fact that team sizes are smaller. DS sounds interesting, but I think will be a bit of a failure in the long run (unless their is something really unusual big N are keeping from us?). Anyway SD is not the next GBA, nintendo have already said it is not, that is still to come. It still does not help Nintendo stop 3rd party dev from deserting. They are sick of paying high media/dev kit prices, for low sales.

because im so lazy, i didnt real all posts, but:
how do you wanna get a homebrew scene on the DS or on the PSP?
DS: Im sure it will last a while until we get flashcarts, if nintendo dont crack em all down!
PSP: uses 8mm dvds or something like teh gamecube has, and the only way to bring homebrew to gc is to connect it to pc with a bug in pso.
but, even if we could do the same with the psp, it isnt anymore portable, we CANT burn 8mm dvds and i dont think it will happen soon.

Wolfsclaw posted on Apr 29 2004 at 05:45 AM said:
because im so lazy, i didnt real all posts, but:
how do you wanna get a homebrew scene on the DS or on the PSP?
DS: Im sure it will last a while until we get flashcarts, if nintendo dont crack em all down!
PSP: uses 8mm dvds or something like teh gamecube has, and the only way to bring homebrew to gc is to connect it to pc with a bug in pso.
but, even if we could do the same with the psp, it isnt anymore portable, we CANT burn 8mm dvds and i dont think it will happen soon.
If you werent so damn lazy :p (j/k) you would have read that we are not really discussing the homebrewn qualities of the handhelds, just them in general. But yeah, if you have read any of my previous posts about PSP homebrew you would know my thoughts on the matter. (lets not let this turn into another one of those topics lol)

I remember hearing years ago that Sony launched an internal enquiry when the Gameboy first got so popular as to why they didn't come up with the idea themselves (having come up with the walkman). Based on that, it's amazing it's taken this long for them to get around to releasing a handheld but you have got to assume that now they are doing, they are going to throw everything at it.

As I posted in another topic, apparently the Gametrac is going to be stocked in Toys R Us in the UK from this summer. In the last days of the Dreamcast, Toys R Us were selling them for about £20 to clear the stock... So the Gametrac bombs, Toys R Us flog 'em for £20 a pop and I end up with something else to put on my pile of unpopular consoles.

You really wouldn't believe how close I came to buying an Amstrad GX...

J(ohn)

Delsabre posted on Apr 28 2004 at 11:55 PM said:
So at what handheld gaming platform do you think could replace the GP32?

Which one will bring in a community like this one?
I suppose Delsabre means "what handheld will support homebrew scene after GP32?". If this is correct, we are talking about homebrew stuff.

GiG posted on Apr 29 2004 at 08:20 AM said:
Delsabre posted on Apr 28 2004 at 11:55 PM said:
So at what handheld gaming platform do you think could replace the GP32?

Which one will bring in a community like this one?
I suppose Delsabre means "what handheld will support homebrew scene after GP32?". If this is correct, we are talking about homebrew stuff.
Which may have been the original intention of the topic, but the posts have been general, not homebrew specific.

I think, on the topic of homebrew maybe the next incarnation of the zodiac (if they make it), will be the replacement once GP32 eventually dies out (lets hope that day is very far off). I would love to see a great homebrew scene arise from the PSP but all the cards are stacked against that, I love what sony has done to the console market, and am eager to see what they do to the handheld market, maybe fate will be kind to us.

<rant>psp.........hmmm someone said it will do to mobile gaming what the ps did to home gaming. i certainly hope not. i don't want to picture a world dominated by hi-tech 3rd rewind time ultra realistic stealth action, i want fun mobile gaming, i want humor. i want SPRITES! can you imagine no more street fighters, no more 2d sonic no more good old gameplay over graphics. i want the PSP to bomb unmercifully.

Crash and burn baby, crash and burn.</rant>

Just as a thought excercise, I wonder how hard it would be for this community to develop a handheld to succeed the GP32 in due course if Gamepark don't. What would we actually have to do, other than going with another team's piece of kit that was close to - but not quite - what we were after...
We'd need, purely theoretically, and probably incompletely,
- Someone who was good enough at electronics to put together a prototype with specs that we'd all somehow come up with.
- Some kind of commercial game support preferably - certainly if we were going to try and release it as more than a built-on-demand or build-your-own console - purely to get companies interested.
- Someone to program a bios and SDK.
- Lots and lots and lots of money to mass produce the thing in the first instance.
- Probably lots of other stuff I haven't thought of, like a way to be sure of redeeming that money in sales or similar.

Its just a thought and a bounce-around idea, but if the next-best thing is likely to be a Son Of Zodiac complete with a non-free SDK and signing process from Tapwave, it might be worth a little bit of thought as to what we'd actually need to do to get such a ball rolling.

is it me or does Sony rely almost entirely on franchises to power it's hype machine?

I'm not saying it doesn't have any good games but it does have a dispropotionate amount of shit ones compared to decent ones...

Back