Gametrac/gizmondo

loz_the_guru

i cant think of a good custom member title. Sugges
Website
Visit site
Sorry if theres already been a post on this, but I searched and im pretty sure there aint. What do people think to the Gizmondo (awful name I know). Just another n-gage (i.e. a failure)? If the homebrew scene got going like the GP32 scene has, it could be impressive, and as it seems to be aimed at joe public the price should be relatively cheap too. The specs arent bad either, and make emulation of other consoles (POSSIBLY GBA or Others) more of a possibility than before. What do you reckon?

Yeah looks alright, don't know much about it yet but I'm happy with my gp32_console
e323.jpg

It looks like an N-gage ... with less buttons and a bigger screen.

It will fail.

moz rubs his crystal balls, the console will flop on comerical games hopefully it'll run homebrew stuff

I know that Craigix contacted them a while back concerning homebrew stuff.

Its running on a 400mhz ARM9, so has the potential to be a doubly powerful zodiac!

My dad works for a media company in london, the company behind gametrac (as it was then known) came in to discuss possible sponspors for the device, my dad got to play on the then only prototype in existance!

The only problem could be the fact that it runs a version of windows ce, microsoft could easily look out all programs that it doesn't agree with, i do believe the machine has great potential though!

Same here, the only problem is will people code for it? Im no good with that end, but isnt the reason homebrew is so strong on the GP32 the fact that its so easy to code for? Mind you, if its running CE it should make conversion of exisiting emulators and games really easy to do. I honestly think it might emulate GBA too, my old 400mhz P2 does, so why not this? Its not the most attractive console looks-wise, but so long as its well put together I think a lot of people should code for it. Itd be nice to see the big GP coders like ryleh and yoyo get behind it. Oh, btw yoyo, i named one of my tropical fish after you!

played w/ it for a minute at E3

nothing specatular from what I could tell but, it was just a (seeminly early) demo.. I'll keep an eye on it.

point is, another little rogue portable going up against the Big Guys, you got to give them respect... because one day it will be all Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft.

manwhile, I am psyched as psyched can be with how things are going with GP32 these days, it does nearly everything I could ever want it too.. with the coming iterations of osnes9x/genesis emus, then that will be that and I'll not even care about these other handhelds. so there!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be the first to go against the grain and say it looks brilliant to hold.

My one criticism of the gp32 is the L & R buttons, i'm yet to find a decent way of holding the console so that i can press them and not give myself cramp or strain.

Most peoples hands are too big for the L & R on the gp32, you can't lie your fingers flat on them and its painfully uncomfortable for me to have my fingers constatnly bent over.

The way the gizmodo has raised and sunken back the L&R makes it look to me like it will be far more comfortable to hold, and the d pad and buttons look like any other generic lay out to me!

Back