Release Games We'd like to See on Pandora

starcraft is entirely possible, just acquire (legally, of course :wink: ) the starcraft 64 ROM for the nintendo 64 and run it on an emulator. same with several other closed-source games.

a shooter like doom3 i would like to see ported though.

Good to know that starcraft would work - now if someone was up for writing a N64 emulator...
I'm not interested in many N64 games neither right now - and starcraft is definatly not on that list.

Doom 3 will still take some time I think so....

Mmmmm N64 emulator and the Goldeneye007 cart.

I loved being able to shoot the bad guy's hat off, and they'd just stand there.

Not entirely a single game, but I'd like to see a version of Qemu emulating an x86 processor running DamnSmallLinux, with nothing but Wine installed in it. There's a couple of little Windows-only applications/old Windows-based games that I'd really like. They aren't CPU-intensive but need a modern version of Windows emulated so DOSbox isn't up to the task... piggybacking through DamnSmallLinux and running it through Wine "should" theoretically provide ~50% more speed than emulating Windows full-on, in a similar manner to how Darwine provided a speed boost compared to emulating Windows full-on thanks to not having to emulate kernel-mode Windows code (This is assuming the apps you're running work OK under Wine). Running at the speed of equivalent of a P90 instead of a P60 can't hurt.

In fact, if no one else does it first I might give it a try myself and report back on the results once my Pandora arrives. :)

RIUM+ said:
<snip>

In fact, if no one else does it first I might give it a try myself and report back on the results once my Pandora arrives. :)

I'd guess that there will be a lot of "I'm going to try X and report back on it" when the first run of Pandoras are delivered. Should be interesting to watch the best set-up evolve through the forum.

I would like to play love on the pandora, it's a not so massively multiplayer online game (about 100-200 players per server)
developed by an indie developer, it's not finished yet but it looks really cool and unique. There are two videos from GDC 09 on love's website and here is a trailer. I don't know if the pandora could handle it though, maybe a version with less graphics effects:

+ Features:
# Genre: First person not so massively multi player online procedural adventure game.
# Engine: Custom highly optimized graphics engine with distinct "concept art" look.
# Terrain System: Procedurally generated spherical, multi level height fields. Landscape, Building and City generation
# Editing: Environment editable from within the game, fully destructible environments. Anything you can see you can be built and destroyed
# Hardware requirements: win32 (possible Linux and OSX port) OpenGL, 512 meg ram, 1.5 GHz CPU, ATI RAdeon 9800 or better. Made to run on avrage Laptop
# Pipeline: Realtime WYSIWYG verse connection. Loq Airou, Co On, Verse Export tool.
# Characters: Fully procedural characters, creatures and robots with seamless environment aware procedural animation.
# Simulation: Particle systems, fog, Cloth, Watter, wind, Day/Night cycle, and vegetation.
# Networking: Low latency UDP networking for hundreds of players per server.
# Biz Model: Pay-to-play. Prize to be determined
# Developer: Quel Solaar
# Release date: When ready.

Dentrado said:
I would like to play love on the pandora, it's a not so massively multiplayer online game (about 100-200 players per server)
Dude, this looks awesome... I'm sure a few of the shaders can be removed to make the game playable; this game would be a killer app for the Pandora if it wouldn't run on other platforms.

Dentrado said:
developed by an indie developer, it's not finished yet but it looks really cool and unique. There are two videos from GDC 09 on love's website and here is a trailer. I don't know if the pandora could handle it though, maybe a version with less graphics effects:

+ Features:
# Genre: First person not so massively multi player online procedural adventure game.
# Engine: Custom highly optimized graphics engine with distinct "concept art" look.
# Terrain System: Procedurally generated spherical, multi level height fields. Landscape, Building and City generation
# Editing: Environment editable from within the game, fully destructible environments. Anything you can see you can be built and destroyed
# Hardware requirements: win32 (possible Linux and OSX port) OpenGL, 512 meg ram, 1.5 GHz CPU, ATI RAdeon 9800 or better. Made to run on avrage Laptop
# Pipeline: Realtime WYSIWYG verse connection. Loq Airou, Co On, Verse Export tool.
# Characters: Fully procedural characters, creatures and robots with seamless environment aware procedural animation.
# Simulation: Particle systems, fog, Cloth, Watter, wind, Day/Night cycle, and vegetation.
# Networking: Low latency UDP networking for hundreds of players per server.
# Biz Model: Pay-to-play. Prize to be determined
# Developer: Quel Solaar
# Release date: When ready.

Holy ****! That is awesome!

I got to reading his news updates and he is using OpenGl and C. It is entirely possible the LOVE could run on the Panda with a few graphical changes, which doesn't seem terribly difficult.

Watch this video, might explain about about how he made it etc.
http://pjotr.stacken.kth.se/love/tool_demo_gdc_2009.mp4

Edit: Things are looking good :D. The creator of LOVE said this in a section relating to a question about how to create your own mmo:
My advice is to try to use as few libraries as possible, and try to choose libraries that are are portable.

http://iloapp.quelsolaar.com/blog/news?Home&post=45 Under the second sub-title (What you need
) paragraph 3. Even though he didn't specifically say that LOVE could be portable, he did suggest making it easy to port a game to a portable, which gives me high hopes.

Other then that I just use the standard libraries. When you start using any library the first thing you should do is abstract it so that you can change it in the future and remain portable. I have created a module called "betray" for system specific things like input and display, that can be built against glut, SDL, or X, Win32, OSX native. It can be downloaded as part of the source* to my apps in the file section**.

Links from quote:
*http://www.quelsolaar.com/files/verse_apps.zip
**http://www.quelsolaar.com/files/

Staple_nutz said:
Tyrian or Tyrian 2000 (Old school shooter now open source i think?!?!)
Step mania (A dance dance revolution DDR clone for PC, i’m sure this is open source)

Hey, You can play Tyrian 2000 with dosbox :D

EDIT: You know, lol, since you use the mouse to move your ship, that should be interesting using the touch screen, maybe you can cheat and jump around the screen XD

If they manage to get halo or halo 2 playing (though that may be too much to ask) id definetly buy it. On the other hand, someone said it was on par with the original xbox and maybe even the wii...

Re: sauerbraten on pandora...is it possible?

Speculant said:
http://sauerbraten.org/

it's source code is available, and it's predecessor (cube) has been ported to the iphone...

This. You could MAKE LEVELS while you're on a bus or something, then play them with your friends. If Pandora made a large enough group for it, you could get more people to develop weapons, higher graphic potentials, stuff like capture the flag, etc.

The Unreal 1 Engine. Lots of games use it like Deus Ex and uhhh, the Unreal series. OH! Postal 2 on Pandora would probably get you arrested, or at least scoffed at, if you played it in public. Usin' a shovel to beat people down.

I would like to see System Shock 2 running on the Pandora, but that is probably just a dream.

A super low graphic Genesis Rising type game would be fun. It has high ram requirements though.

Prey Invasion, if you could get the guys to allow you to develop the game, and maybe sell it for like $10 or less.

Hitman and Manhunt would probably be fun, get to go around murdering people.

Brain Workshop. Although not necessarily a 'game', it's an open source mind-improving program. Could probably be ported now. You could even use the touchscreen.

Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge. This needs no explanation.

Stepmania is open source, and could be played with directional buttons + the right 4 buttons

Tetris (with Gameboy or Nintendo music, your choice) if it's not out already.

Elite beat agents :wink:

Portal.

Final Fantasy 7 (all of them would be better). They made a pc version of FF7, so who knows?

Castlevania 64, and the shadowgate games. Never finished those, Shadowgate 64 was too puzzling.

Gradius/Zero Wing/Einhander type games in WIDESCREEN!

Left 4 Dead. lol

Sim City games.

Animal Crossing

That's all I can think of for now.

I thought of another game:

Tremulous

It's open source, uses opengl, and has a good community.

Maplestory.

The game is actually pretty good and can even be played on my 8-10ish year old thinkpad.
However the source code is not open and probably never will be.
But it would be awesome to have it on the pandora.

Yea, and what Meigus said.

Sauerbraten would be awesome, although can the pandora really run it?
If i remember correctly the game is pretty high spec right? or am I mistaken?

Tronicc said:
Sauerbraten would be awesome, although can the pandora really run it?
If i remember correctly the game is pretty high spec right? or am I mistaken?

Think of how powerful the PSP is, and think of how good the graphics are for some of the games.

Then, think of how much more powerful the Pandora is compared to the PSP.

The Pandora would definitely be able to run Sauerbraten, but you are right, to run the game at all settings maxed, it takes some high spec requirements. Its not like the Pandora would be running the game at super-high resolutions, though, so there probably isn't anything to worry about.

I heard 5th cell may be planning on releasing Scribblenauts on systems other than the DS. With the keyboard and touch screen, I think the Pandora would be ideal.

It would be cool playing the Touhou games on the Pandora. If there is an ARM-compliant PC-9800 emulator out there, the first five games should be possible to run. Purely by hardware specs, the first three windows games should be working, but if the lone guy behind these games is willing to greenlight a reconstruction for ARM/Linux, then maybe....

Back