Release Gambatte w/QT gui

Yay!

Awesome :)

Only thing missing is double buffering and vsync, that would make it totally awesome :)

Thanks a lot for your hard work :)

Working on vsync, this actually shows how to use it :p :

Edit: Vsync still wont work even after I put all of the vsync stuff in the right places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, it seems to have issues for me.

First, you have to CTRL-F to go partialy (that is with aspect ratio).

Second, I prefer full screen and it defaults to keep aspect ratio, which displays 'slanted'. If I switch to my prefered no aspect ratio it goes full screen and isn't slanted.
I still got the problem of a slanted screen when using X11 with "keep aspect ratio" in fullscreen. :/

Any way to fix it?

That is related to something else, I remember. I don't quite have the time to look for it right now, but there was some other thing that you couldn't have on at the same time. I'll check more thoroughly later.

"For that issue change scaling to integer only or none."

"For that issue change scaling to integer only or none."
That's what I do, but a slightly bigger image would be great.

and in some games, it is better to use 2x instead of 3x (HD-)Filter

and the picture gets really small then, hmm.

I am using one of the 3x filters, for a nice big smooth image...And no diagonal image. Am I not using X11, then? Weird. Let me check...

Ah. X11, only scale..., hq3x. I'm not using "keep aspect ratio". Never mind me, then...

Overall impression

+ Gambatte's graphics (proper vsync, excellent scalings filters, particularly hqx3, custom palettes for bg/sprite1/sprite1) & sound (hi qual filters!) abilities are superior to my previous favorite GameBoy emulator GnGB.

- Gambatte's usability is inferior to GnGB, as it has no overlay/in-place menus, which are easily accessible by gaming buttons (GnGB, PCSX, etc) but instead a ordinary desktop menu bar (bad usability for gaming app).

If it's possible to build a custom menu system, then I'd say take PCSX as a model, its menu has excellent usability. If not, then there some quick wins are at least possible:

Feature suggestion: ESC shall activate menu focus right away

Currently you need to press ESC, then ALT to get focus into the menu. 

Inquiry: Is it possible to assign keystrokes to these?

Select next color palette

Select color palette X

Select next video filter

Select video filter X

Select next sound-quality

Select sound quality X

Having the trouble to navigate to the menu, then within the menu through the whole hierarchy is a PITA for a quick change.

Having keystrokes would solve the issue mostly.

Thats what fixed the skewed screen. No vsync for any other renderers still. Performance is still good. Used -O3 optimizations.

I am happy to hear about an upcoming update.

Thank you very much for Gambatte on Pandora!

I just finished Gargoyle's Quest in HiRes with it. :)

Thanks for the update!

The launcher runs fine, but gambatte itself refuses to load. The pndrun out contains

Code:
./gambatte_qt.sh: line 1: !/bin/sh: not found
/mnt/utmp/gambatte-qt//bin/gambatte_qt: ./lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by /mnt/utmp/gambatte-qt//bin/gambatte_qt)
The first is due to the missing # in the first line of the script, but harmless. It seems the included libstdc++ is not new enough (though it gives less linker errors than the NAND version).

Back