Release Gambatte w/QT gui

Unfortunately, it seems to have issues for me.

First, you have to CTRL-F to go partialy (that is with aspect ratio).

Second, I prefer full screen and it defaults to keep aspect ratio, which displays 'slanted'. If I switch to my prefered no aspect ratio it goes full screen and isn't slanted.

Third, sound should be adjusted from default as well to use oss instead of alsa.

Finally, it doesn't create appdata folder and no settings are saved.

It appears that gambatte should be writing a file to ~/.config/gambatte/gambatte_qt.conf. Ill see if i can fix that tomorrow. The stretched screen can be fixed temporarily by changing to not keeping the aspect ratio. Once the config file is fixed it should fix quite a few of those issues.

Recompiling with cdevtools.pnd so zip support should work. Pandebian squeeze doesn't have zlib-dev for arm. Also Im trying to change the data folder to ./ instead of /gambatte/

Third, sound should be adjusted from default as well to use oss instead of alsa.

Finally, it doesn't create appdata folder and no settings are saved.

I am not sure I understand the first two comments you made, but I agree with the 3rd and 4th -

First I was refering to CTRL-F (is hot-key) to put in fullscreen mode and second was refering to the following.

121001-172241.png

For that issue change scaling to integer only or none. Zip files will work in the next update. I am trying to fix the config file saving to ~/.config/gambatte/gambatte_qt.conf instead of ./gambatte_qt.conf

The palettes and saves folders and cheats.ini correctly save in /mnt/utmp/gambatte-qt/

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a few observations from my tryout:

Nice emulator, scrolling is buttersmooth with XV or X11, however, it seems to have some VSync issue here.

Even the screen filters work fullscreen for me :D

You should also include a default config so people won't have to mess around with Input settings.

Fullscreen with X11 is messed up (as mentioned above), but works fine XV (although menus are behind the screen in that case).

And there's no fullscreen that seems to hide the desktop :)

Does it accept filenames via command line? Maybe some better frontend could be included in that case, as the current one isn't that userfriendly on a Pandora :)

Also, Hotkeys for loading, saving, change scaling, etc. would be neat.

Update so configuration saves and zip files work.

Vsync can be enabled by changing vsync = false to vsync = true in pandora/appdata/gambatte-qt/gambatte/gambatte_qt.conf vsync doesnt actually seem to work :/

To enable complete full screen, press Ctrl+F and Ctrl+Esc.

To fix the x11 slant issue, as I

said before just change the Scaling Restrictions to None or Only scale by integer factors.

Last edited by a moderator:
.zip archives working good now, good performance, like the filters... need to mess around with the settings some more until I find the setup I like the best

how do you change the color pallet for .gb games? (not .gbc)

also weird thing happened, once I changed the render and went into full screen CTRL + F I lost my ability to enter menu, exit out of full screen, or even close the app, not even holding down pandora button or fn + pandora worked, had to hard boot the device.

not sure if it's possible but a true fullscreen without the menu bar at the top would be good. Does this have a SDL or as ED mentions a way to throw the app comand line switches or variables for use with a different front end like pickle launcher? Also if there is ability to set hotkeys for save and load state S & L , 1-0 for save slots, f for fullscreen {intead of ctrl +f) stuff like that.

Once a good default config is nailed down there may not be a need to do anything but selecting roms. But definitely a useful app, Since notaz did a native build of a nes emulator, the gameboy is now the emulator that needs the most love at the moment (in my opinion besides N64)

This does play Shantae! Kudos for that!

Apart from that, I agree with several other comments. It would be a good idea to pack in a pandora-ified config from the start, with the start/select buttons, face buttons mapped correctly and so on. Some documentation in the pnd would be nice too - That way, we wouldn't have to repeat the question "Does it have a way to get rid of the menu bar" quite so many times :D

Android and others: Press ctrl-f for fullscreen, and ctrl-ESC to get rid of menu bar. There are hotkeys for saving savestates, and they are even redefinable. Look in the settings menu.

As it is, it is a bit fiddly to use, but when it runs, it is a lovely thing indeed :)

Pretty well working, I love how I can change the GB palettes. :)

Sadly, vsync is not an option for X11, only for glpointer.

It's a bit improved when using 60fps, but not perfect.

It doesn't support SDL Output, right? Otherwise we could use notaz scaler.

Just went through configuring the way I want and the only issue I have left is minor. I wish it could start in fullscreen and without menu. That way you wouldn't have to CTRL-F then CTRL-Q after loading a game before you can play (in additioon to the CTRL-O to load game before that). I might try putting picklelauncher on mine as I would like to learn more about that launcher anyway.

I really like that this one has save states (with preview - just missing a date or something but not necessary)

I just wanted to say thanks again as this one is great.

FYI, It does support starting in fullscreen with -f and files on commandline. I just finished incorporating picklelauncher modified from snes9x pnd. along with my prefered conf file.

Back