Future DraStic Android port: help needed

A little nice review of Drastic.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/08/hands-on-drastic-is-the-android-nintendo-ds-emulator-youve-been-waiting-for/

In the opening statement, the author said:  "Android emulator fans, meet you new best friend. Yesterday the DraStic Nintendo DS emulator was published to the Play Store, for the admittedly high price of $7.99. It's not the first DS emulator for Android, but it's far and away the best - the combination of smooth performance (on sufficient hardware) and a stupefying amount of options to adapt the DS ergonomics makes it an easy recommendation."

Come on!  $7.99 is not high considering the quality of the emulator.  But the rest of the article is pretty good.

Well, it is high compared to other emulators. We just think it's reasonably justified ;p

I'm thinking I'll review the price in about 2 or 3 months.

Well, it is high compared to other emulators. We just think it's reasonably justified ;p

Not expensive at all IMO.  And yes it is justified.  What can you do with $7.99 these days anyway.  A stupid useless software like Antivirus cost 10 times that much.  Oh, it's because it's written buy guys like mudlord who injects viruses into people's machine and then write an antivirus software and charge arms and legs but still called hero.  :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been able to save ingame on pokemon black 2 or mystery dungeon explorer of sky? the saves keep on getting corrupted or they are not there.

For the moment the things that Drastic lack are more video filter, like xBR or even SABR, i don't know if it's possible to implement these filters but Exo and Lordus could you take a look at this 

http://gitorious.org/bsnes/xml-shaders/blobs/3deb710abd7a1d5c6167f5061b104984ba94b021/shaders/OpenGL/v1.0/SABR.shader

the sarb filter is really an amazing filter for old 2D game, on SNES it makes game look really great.
Maybe in the future we could see about using external shader files for filters. But right now we have so many other much more important things we need to focus on.

Keep in mind, most phones still don't have that much pixel shading power, although that's changing somewhat.

For the moment the things that Drastic lack are more video filter, like xBR or even SABR, i don't know if it's possible to implement these filters but Exo and Lordus could you take a look at this 

http://gitorious.org/bsnes/xml-shaders/blobs/3deb710abd7a1d5c6167f5061b104984ba94b021/shaders/OpenGL/v1.0/SABR.shader

the sarb filter is really an amazing filter for old 2D game, on SNES it makes game look really great.
Maybe in the future we could see about using external shader files for filters. But right now we have so many other much more important things we need to focus on.

Keep in mind, most phones still don't have that much pixel shading power, although that's changing somewhat.
You could do a special version for Pandora owners with these filters :D   

I notice that every game doesn't use the same space between the two display, so would it be possible to add in the tool for resizing something that keep the two display at the same dimension with a resizable space betwen the display?

I notice that every game doesn't use the same space between the two display, so would it be possible to add in the tool for resizing something that keep the two display at the same dimension with a resizable space betwen the display?
I think it's already implemented.  Check the documentation.

The price is not the problem.

The problem is you. Not Lordus

fms I don't have a problem with. At least he isnt allied with that treacherous and filthy snake

Last edited by a moderator:

Regarding pricing, is your goal to maximise revenue / profit or to charge a price that fairly reflects the time, skill and effort you have put into DraStic?

This of course is 'gut feel' :

You could charge $24.99 and feel secure in the knowledge that the few people who bought it had received excellent value for money.

You could keep charging $7.99 and make a very respectable return.

You could start charging $2.99 and make a fortune. But also possibly 'drown' in tech support / refund requests if you don't have the support infrastructure in place.

Guess it comes down to an earlier question : How do you view Drastic for Android in commercial terms? i.e. Is it a hobby for you where any revenue gained is a bonus? A full time job (if revenue is good enough)? Or as I suspect somewhere in between?

Frankly, I think the current price is the sweet spot. It's affordable enough, but also not too cheap... So it can reflect the quality of the emulator. For all of those who would have been unlikely to pay much more than 2.99 ... you can have half price weekends or special occasion sales. Alternatively, you could have an ad supported, a lite version at 2.99, and a professional version at the current price.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The problem is you. Not Lordus
And yet you can't give any specific details, just a bunch of "I'll mention this <vague thing> and that <vague thing>", and Exophase himself is just as confused. You said he's "allied" with byuu but by his own admission the only interaction they've really had is Exophase telling byuu he's wrong: that's hardly an alliance. And even if so, all this personal grudge and you take revenge with a 5 minute hack that ultimately means nothing. You've trolled yourself hard here, you went looking for a reaction and YOU are the person who is getting all bent out of shape: Exophase is complimented that you're devoting so much of your life to just hating him for reasons that no one (possibly not even yourself) understand. I want to say that you must have a pretty shallow and pathetic life to put so much effort and waste so much time on things that don't actually have any impact on anyone but yourself, but I browse reddit for 2 hours every day so I'm not fairing much better at the moment.

I worked on mupen64plus-ae and I must say that this emu is one of the best android emu I've seen in terms of user interface! Great work guys!

If I had to make a comment, I'd love to see an option for screen orientation in order to choose reverse landscape instead of landscape as default. The main reason for this is that the guys from samsung decided to put the volume buttons on the left side of the SGS3 thus they are not usable as triggers in landscape as they are located under the screen. Reverse landscape mode fix this problem.

Also I'm a great fan of pokemon HG/SS so if you guys need any help on debugging, providing some logs or anything that could help fixing this game I'd be happy to help!

Back