Future DraStic Android port: help needed

you can map a hardware key to the screen switch as well if you have one to donate to it (like a photo button or something)
Yes but im talking about during play when a rom is loaded the second screen is not really used for along time in some games so have a trigger that could change thescreen to the largest or fullscreen in a split second to the second screen and vice versa you can config screen type before you load but not after

you can map a hardware key to the screen switch as well if you have one to donate to it (like a photo button or something)

Yes but im talking about during play when a rom is loaded the second screen is not really used for along time in some games so have a trigger that could change thescreen to the largest or fullscreen in a split second to the second screen and vice versa you can config screen type before you load but not after
Not sure what your asking because I think it works like that for me. I have L3 mapped to screen switch on shield (some I do R3, I finally found a use for the multiple button mappers) so if Im playing mariocart and am racing in full screen and want to see my possition I hit L3, check real quick, then L3 agian and keep racing.

edit: You can also configure the global default of the default screen layout so that its switched beforehand, agian Im not sure if what your asking isnt already possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the release! I'll be grabbing this for my Nexus 7 (2013 model) soon. I took a look through some of the reviews. Gotta love the 1 stars... 

I need a refund
Please refund my money I didn't know I had to acquire these files legally

I don't mind refunding people, updated the FAQ to say we'll do it within 48 hours no questions asked, but asking for a refund by giving it a 1 star is kind of a lame move :p Strange that they don't realize that they'll get it better if they e-mail.
After I left my 5 Star review I went through all the feed back and the ones that gave it 1 star and whined about not knowing or not know how to get the bios files I gave them a thumbs down!  I was like "What idiots!"  Loving the emulator.  Thank you and Lordus for bringing such an awesome emulator to the Play Store!

A couple of thoughts on how to deal with the 'How do I find the BIOS?' problem :

1) As a developer you can comment on customer reviews, a quick copy paste of something like 'sorry to hear you are having problems, please read the FAQ on the official support forums and if that doesn't help feel free to start a topic there. If nobody can help then we'll happily refund your purchase.'

2) Make a slight change to the FAQ

Change :

Q: How do I get the BIOS files? Can you give them to me?

A: The Nintendo DS BIOS files are copyrighted code and therefore can't be freely distributed. It's recommended that you obtain them from a real Nintendo DS using a flashcart and the utility that can be found at the following URL:

To

Q: How do I get the BIOS files? Can you give them to me?

A: In most countries the Nintendo DS BIOS files are copyrighted code and therefore can't be freely distributed. It's recommended that you obtain them from a real Nintendo DS using a flashcart and the utility that can be found at the following URL:

However if you reside in an area where the DS BIOS files are not protected by copyright then a Google search for 'NDS BIOS files' will help you.

Guess the fact is there are a lot of people who are just not very smart, and a lot of noobs out there, who don't really know how to use a search engine.

You could do a special version for Pandora owners with these filters :D
Dont bet on it. The pandora dont fall in the "with enough pixel shader capabilities"
Panmame has some really nice filters.  How did mcobit do that?
Panmame use CPU filters. We are talking about GPU filters. a Pandora dont have the grunt to do a GPU filter as you want even the simpler one are too slow.On the other hands, there exist CPU filters that are very fast and well optimised (thanks MH-T). That's what panmame use. Drastic already use all the CPU available for the emulation with nothing left for these filters...

Beside, if you have readed the other reply. Your TV is a large part of your problem here in this scaling issue : your TV scale up from NTSC format to HD. while the pandora only scale from DS resolution to NTSC. Your TV scale way more than the pandora does in your case. The issue for the jagged lines is the scaling...

You could do a special version for Pandora owners with these filters :D
Dont bet on it. The pandora dont fall in the "with enough pixel shader capabilities"
Panmame has some really nice filters.  How did mcobit do that?
Panmame use CPU filters. We are talking about GPU filters. a Pandora dont have the grunt to do a GPU filter as you want even the simpler one are too slow.
On the other hands, there exist CPU filters that are very fast and well optimised (thanks MH-T). That's what panmame use. Drastic already use all the CPU available for the emulation with nothing left for these filters...

Beside, if you have readed the other reply. Your TV is a large part of your problem here in this scaling issue : your TV scale up from NTSC format to HD. while the pandora only scale from DS resolution to NTSC. Your TV scale way more than the pandora does in your case. The issue for the jagged lines is the scaling...
Understood!  Thanks for the technical explanation.  Never stop learning  :D

Regarding the BIOS: I coded up a custom BIOS implementation and an update to support it (so you'll no longer need to get the Nintendo ones), hopefully it'll be updated today. Then we can put that whole headache behind us.

Regarding the BIOS: I coded up a custom BIOS implementation and an update to support it (so you'll no longer need to get the Nintendo ones), hopefully it'll be updated today. Then we can put that whole headache behind us.
Does this affect compatibility and performance in any way?

Does this affect compatibility and performance in any way?
Performance, no. Compatibility isn't supposed to be affected and we tested a bunch of games and most of the functions that we know are used were tested in some way or another but we can't rule out some problem in some game from it (there's one function we don't even implement but given that desmume's implementation is broken it's probably not used or very rarely used)

The only known limitation right now is you can't load encrypted ROMs with it because we didn't want to include this encryption table for that, seemed kind of risky even though desmume and probably other emulators include it. So you'll get an error telling you to use a decrypted ROM or decrypt the ROM using this one tool or get the Nintendo BIOS.

If you have the Nintendo BIOSes installed they'll still get used instead.

"Battery save data"(I dont know how to say that) in drastic at "\sdcard\android\data\com.dsemu.drastic\backup", so the save data will lost when I uninstall or romupdate, is there some way to make save data build on rom path or another path (such as "\sdcard\DrasticBackup") in sdcard?
(Sorry for my poor english)

I'll leave it to Lordus to comment on whatever features this update will have in his stuff (GUI and so on), since I haven't been closely tracking it.

Normally I try to get a lot of fixes and/or features and/or optimizations into a release. But this one is kind of a quick push out the door just since the e-mail support and refund requests have been such a time drain that's keeping me from getting real work on the emulator done. Alleviating the BIOS problem and improving Pokemon HG/SS emulation should reduce a lot of this.

An update already :)

You mean you've not just spent the whole of the time since launch in an orgy of drunken celebration. Or do you do your best coding when hung over? ;)

Good work with this as I imagine it was a little trickier than you made it sound and it is by far the most elegant solution to the BIOS problem.

Dear god no, I wish I could celebrate :p I wrote the custom BIOS implementation (full ARM ASM, although really the BIOS isn't that extensive if you ignore the boot stuff) in barely over 2 days, and the e-mail support and refunding has taken up to about 3 hours a day..

Back