For Anyone Who Cares...

The Holy Grail didn't/doesn't exist.

That doesn't mean an Amiga emulator isn't possible though. (I don't know, or care. I don't have a GP2X anyway.)

the holygrail does Exist :p

and no i'm not that very religius
but the cup does exist though ..im sure

Last edited by a moderator:

That doesn't mean an Amiga emulator isn't possible though. (I don't know, or care. I don't have a GP2X anyway.)

You get it when you win the Champions League :p .

On the topic: Brilliant as usual Squidge, it would almost be unfair to you to expect LESS than perfect SNES emulation. :)

Front Mission seemed to work well, fast (40-60fps), but was missing the movement grid. (Transparency?) Also, from time to time, the right half of the screen would stop displaying the cursor and other... things, don't have a word for them. :( (The skeleton had no jaw! :eek: )

And it semed to be slightly of-center, not sure if that's because of the game area actually being that way.

Come to think of it, as NTSC it propably needs to be set differently than PAL, thus in 320x240 it's a little off.

Not that I am religious either but I'm sure I remember on my holiday to spain the cup/grail is held in Valencia Cathedral I'm sure it was one of the overpriced day trips.

I personally belive it is held in the castle anthrax, by the lovely twin sisters Zoot/Dingo or was that only a grail shaped beacon? :lol:

And Squidge Absolutly bloody amazing, I'm loving my GP2x so much, thanks for your hard work.

Let me clear up why some of you see 60 fps, but it seems slower... It's all to do with vsync. The number you see in the top left corner is the amount of times the "display" routine is called. However, it's not necessarily how often the display is actually updated...

The GP2X's vsync occurs normally 60 times a second, so to prevent flickering, we need to change the buffers at the end of each vsync. This gives us approximately 16ms to render each frame (not taking into account the amount of time actually spent in vblank). If we can render a frame in under this time, then we can switch buffers at every vblank and get a perfect 60 fps.

However, if we go higher than this (say we manage only 20ms, giving us 50fps), then we can't update the display 50 times a second, so we end up switching on the next lcd refresh update. This can result in the snes video buffer being updated at 50 fps, but the actual visible screen only being updated at 30 fps (as we are having to wait until the next vsync before being able to update the display pointers, which basically stretches it from 20ms per frame to 33ms).

I'd be more than happy to, but I'm waiting for commandline support at the very least.
In the meantime you could probably use something like this to create rom launchers

Code:
mkdir /mnt/sd/Emulators
mkdir /mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES
for i in /mnt/sd/roms/snes/*.smc
do
echo "cp \"$i\" /mnt/sd/snes.smc" > "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "/mnt/sd/squidgesnes.gpe" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "rm /mnt/sd/snes.smc" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "sync" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "cd /usr/gp2x" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "./gp2xmenu" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
done
sync

I have no idea if this will work seeing as I just wrote it in this post and it should work for the directory structure I have set up on my 2x.
It should scan the roms in /roms/snes and create a launch script in /Emulators/SquidgeSNES which will copy the rom to snes.smc in the root of the sd and launch it.

Edit: this script doesnt work. Does anyone know how I can remove the /mnt/sd/roms/snes/ from the start of my $i

Looking good, much speedier in the new version. However, I no longer seem to be able to play Super Mario All stars.

It played fine with the previous version, but on this one, the graphics have gone really odd. Once you get into the game, where it should be blue, it's green instead, and the player and enemies are not visible. As I said, it was fine in the previous release :(

Looking forwards to seeing how this evolves :)

Looking good, much speedier in the new version. However, I no longer seem to be able to play Super Mario All stars.

It played fine with the previous version, but on this one, the graphics have gone really odd. Once you get into the game, where it should be blue, it's green instead, and the player and enemies are not visible. As I said, it was fine in the previous release :(

Looking forwards to seeing how this evolves :)

weird - i can play SMAS. Mario 3 works fine.

Save didnt work tho - anyone else find that?

Very nice. :D

Will be donating when 2nd processor kicks in to deliver sound with no slow down :p

Seriously though - very well done, I look forward to testing again soon with sound.

Edit:  this script doesnt work.  Does anyone know how I can remove the /mnt/sd/roms/snes/ from the start of my $i

mkdir /mnt/sd/Emulators
mkdir /mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES
romlist=`(cd /mnt/sd/roms/snes/; echo *.smc)'
for i in $romlist
do
echo "cp \"$i\" /mnt/sd/snes.smc" > "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "/mnt/sd/squidgesnes.gpe" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "rm /mnt/sd/snes.smc" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "sync" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "cd /usr/gp2x" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
echo "./gp2xmenu" >> "/mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES/${i/.smc/.gpe}"
done
sync

(split up for clarity, of course you can put the stuff after the equals directly after in)

P.

Squidge, are you dismantling any other emus to see how they do things or is it a totally, self created program?

Looks good so far :)

I don't have a gp2x yet but from what I read Squidge did some
AMAZING WORK.

I think it will slow down alot more once Transparency and mode 7 is working on the Emu.

because I expenced something similiar back in the days in my Pentium 200 mhz PC. it would run Zsnes ok till it hit transpancy and mode 7 then it slowed down.

btw: stretching the image can be done by hardware for no performance hit right?

Series-8: this is bits of various emus (sometimes hacked up) as well as some of my own code.

stonerdrifter: Nope, not yet. Well, actually, I think I do save the sram, but don't read it back in yet.

geniv: yup, I intend to do scaling via hardware. It will be optional for the purists out there ;)

Back