Release Fish - the Friendly Interactive SHell

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Fish, an alternate and colorfull alternative shell.

preview1.png
Working fine on the Pandora, except the help, that fails to start a browser by itself (doc is still available in /mnt/utmp/fishshell/share/doc/fish/index.html )

History log

========

Build 02

-----------

• Callable from inside codeblocks build 12 and later (just type fish from codeblocks command line)

Build 01

-----------

• Initial release

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, what does this give us over bash? No criticism of the port at all - anything that adds more options is good. But as for replacing the shell in SL4P it would need to be significantly more friendly without being much less powerful, I'd have thought.

Sorry, what does this give us over bash? No criticism of the port at all - anything that adds more options is good. But as for replacing the shell in SL4P it would need to be significantly more friendly without being much less powerful, I'd have thought.
It has many features such as autocompletion, colored display, etc...

Fish is nice, but when I tested it, ok that was about 4 years ago, it was not usable as standard shell in a Linux. But I will certainly try it :D

Sorry, what does this give us over bash?
Bash has autocompletion on Pandora, and can be trivially configured to have a coloured prompt and output. Anything else?

Edit: Although as far as I know, bash can't be configured to colour stuff in as you type, which could be useful.

Bash has autocompletion on Pandora, and can be trivially configured to have a coloured prompt and output. Anything else?
Fish as more interactive things happening when typing things. And it's still more colorfull than bash. But fish is not 100% compatible sh or bash from the test I have done. So, that's an interesting alternative, especialy for those not 100% confident in their shell skill. But I don't think it can replace bash. Anyway, it's a small PND (and it's a PND, not a NAND addon), so just grab-it and try it. If not satisfied by it, you just delete it, no big deal.

Fish as more interactive things happening when typing things. And it's still more colorfull than bash. But fish is not 100% compatible sh or bash from the test I have done. So, that's an interesting alternative, especialy for those not 100% confident in their shell skill. But I don't think it can replace bash. Anyway, it's a small PND (and it's a PND, not a NAND addon), so just grab-it and try it. If not satisfied by it, you just delete it, no big deal.
Can something be done to fix the incompatabilities?

Can something be done to fix the incompatabilities?
I have note (it's in the FAQ), that you cannot use things like "LIBFB_GL=1 ./myglsoftware" for example, you have to use "env LIBFB_GL=1 ./myglsoftware". Or also there is no "$?" but "$status" instead.

Fish is not designed to be an enhancement of bash, but an alternative. But you can ask the original author of Fish.

*EDIT*

But you should notes also that thoses "incompatibilites" are relevent only on command line, not on script, because (usualy) you fix the shell to use in a script with the first line (the "#!/bin/bash" or "#!/bin/sh"). So Fish is perfectly useable.

I'm poundering on using Fish as default shell for the the code::blocks command line (either inside C::B as it small anyway, or a autodetect and automount and autouse the fishshell PND).

Oh.. I guess I misunderstood what this was. I was unaware that there was a difference between Shell and Terminal.

....to google I must go!

Cool. At school right now and dont have my P. I plan to install SL4P over the weekend so Ill download it after I can boot Slack fine

Fish is a shell, not a terminal. Think of a terminal as a display and input mechanism (like your monitor/keyboard), while a shell is the underlying software that allows you to navigate files and run programs.

I personally use Fish as my main shell (and I've contributed to the codebase), but I don't think you should set it as default when people are probably expecting a Bourne-compatible shell.

ZSH is a pretty nice (and compatible) bash alternative.

New build, that integrate with latest codeblocks PND release.

Build 02

-----------

• Callable from inside codeblocks build 12 and later (just type fish from codeblocks command line)

Back