Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

neosalad

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
ok. i have a Viking interworks 512 SD card, and one of the first GP2X's
with firmware 1.0 (2005.11.17).. that i have updated to 1.2.1 with Robsters Kernal updater (which suposodley helps with the Toshiba card detection for future firmware upgrading)
i have tried and tried a few different methods of updating firmware, including the usb copying method. but it just doesnt recognise the kernal image to do the update.
how will i be able to upgrade it?
it's driving me nuts!!!! i really want to sort out the problems with the screen etc and 1.4 looks a good firmware compared to the others but i still cant get my machine to update!
ANY IDEAS OR SUGESTIONS APRECIATED.

how can i get it to recognise my Toshiba (viking OEM)card with a 1.2.1 firmware??
i just dont get the "firmware updating screen" as it says i should when i boot it up with the new kernal on the root of the SD card (FAT 32 formatted) but i t did to the patching bit, so says it is 1.4, but i think it is still 1.2.1 as it says on the loading screen. (still says v1.2.1) as i have never had the screen i am supooised to have for the kernal upgrade, just the fiel gets deleted and it seems to boot as normal..

thanks

neosalad

virusx

Virus Infected Person
Website
www.budburnerz.com
AcidiC posted on Feb 26 2006 at 09:43 AM said:
nickspoon posted on Feb 26 2006 at 12:56 AM said:
Mine works with 1.4.0.
Your toshiba? Mine gets crazy coloured screens whenever i run a program :(
It seems that those cards have strange behavior.
I got a viking 512 (wich is meant to be a toshiba right ?!)
And it's working for flashing (1.2.1 to 1.4.0 to Cramfs 0.0.4 and back to 1.4.0)
I used my onboard Sdcard reader to put firmware update on it while other files still in.
I made my upgrades with my gp2X powered by AC adaptator.

Last edited by a moderator:

neosalad

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
hmm, i tried mine with files still on card (img on root) aswell as reformatting card (and y6es, it is FAT32 before anyone asks) and with a full charged set of 2300 ni-mh's ...... and still no luck with my viking 512 SD.. but i do apear to have updated the software, just not the kernal... will this cause me any probs in future?

neosalad

neosalad

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
has anyone tried the Bytesor SD cards yet, cant see them on the list. they seem a reasoable price from amazon.
dont want to buy another SD card unless i know it will work pretty much 100% for a firmware upgrade this time.

thanks

neosalad

Seifer48

Still Fresh
Just wanted to let yall know that the SanDisk 1GB Ultra II Plus card worked upgrading the firmware for me :D

armac31

Still Fresh
Just Upgraded firmware from 1.2.1 to 1.4.0.No problem using Dane-Lec 512Mb card.
Using a Mains adaptor from Argos
Think the main problem with upgrading firmware is that you should use an adaptor as mentioned elsewhere rechargables can only provide 2.4v this may not be enough voltage to flash the firmware ROM. :)

primeris

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Well, anyone else completely dependant on robster's flashers?
NO card works on my GP2X, and robster's flash tester reveals a bad block in the NAND (16).
So, in a lot of cases, the issue is not with the SD. Some of us have bad NAND...
Can that be fixed?
It seems like I'd need a serial cable to explore that properly...

Ryugengeed

Still Fresh
After formatting my SD card to FAT32 my Kingston 512 MB worked fine for firmware upgrading )I went from 1.2.1 to 1.4.0 to 1.4.0 with cramfs with no worries)

Drag

Website
drag.wootest.net
I've posted this question in the FAQ forum about a month ago, and no one's answered, so I'll re-ask it here:

I'm currently running firmware 1.1.0. Is it safe to go directly from 1.1.0 to 1.4.0?

As in, do I need to run the patch files for all of the previous firmwares, or do I just need to run 1.4.0's?

T

TelcoLou

Drag posted on Mar 26 2006 at 12:15 AM said:
I've posted this question in the FAQ forum about a month ago, and no one's answered, so I'll re-ask it here:

I'm currently running firmware 1.1.0. Is it safe to go directly from 1.1.0 to 1.4.0?

As in, do I need to run the patch files for all of the previous firmwares, or do I just need to run 1.4.0's?
You can just update to 1.4 ... everything's included. You can also 'downgrade' to any version you'd like ... I must have up/downgraded at least 10 or so times, no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

armac31

Still Fresh
Yes have a Sandisk 2Gb works ok with V1.4 formatted Fat32.
Have'nt tried firmware updating with it tho'.

[hjd_uk]

Still Fresh
I used a Integral 1Gig Card, used a card reader to format it to FAT32 ( it was just FAT by default), copied the files to the root, booted, ran the util and it all worked fine, no problems at all.

*EDIT* And the new LCD timing adjuster (althought the screen bugs when adjusting the slider) is fantastic, no more flickery scanlining! :D

grgry

Still Fresh
The normal Sandisk 2gb doesn't work for updating the firmware, at least my gp2x does not update with it.
Although I read somewhere, it would qualify for this, but i guess they meant the Ultra II.

The same goes for Extrememory 1gb and Ultron 256 mb. None of these updates for me.

Besides that, no problems with any of those cards.