Firmware 1.4.0 Features

“flagrant violation of international copyright law”

Can't simplify it much more then that, but I'll try to connect the dots for the people that still don't get it.
  • GPH is in “flagrant violation of international copyright law”
  • The people who's copyrights have been violated will or are seeking a legal solution
  • No amount of whining or bitching is going to change that.
  • The copyright holders only seek compliance not punitive damages, however they will vigorously litigate if they must in order to get compliance.
  • GPH does not have a legal “leg to stand on” nor do they have enough money to defend themselves and if this goes to court it is very likely GPH will be litigated to death.
  • The only way GPH stays in business is if they come into compliance.
  • If you don't want the GP2X to fail you must want GPH to release the source code.
That's it. No arguments about what people will actually do with the source code, or if it's helpful in anyway, this is extremely simple: “No Source = GPH out of business”. It doesn't matter how we got to this point and it doesn't matter how you feel about Linux. There is one simple truth to this and it's not going away. It doesn't matter if you feel the people making pro release the source arguments are hypocrites because they pirate software themselves, because if you want GPH to stay in business they have to stop breaking the law.

I'm sure someone will argue why I'm wrong assessment, but to do so you have to avoid ignore the obvious truth of what I'm saying.

Why can't we all agree that GPH needs to release the source so this problem can go away?

this is an 1.4.0 features topic! not a gpl topic, there is already one so please use that one... i should like to hear from the beta-people what errors have stayed and what is resolved and so on...
will next firmware be public or another beta?

the releases will be private until the source is released--I speculate we'll be waiting around until twenty-aught-nine.

hopefully I'm not being serious.
it's a good guess that the next real release will be 1.5.0--this has been mentioned a few times.
but who is to say how many betas will be in 1.4.x. does anybody know if there has been more than one 1.4 beta already?

noreason posted on Feb 8 2006 at 08:09 AM said:
this is an 1.4.0 features topic! not a gpl topic, there is already one so please use that one... i should like to hear from the beta-people what errors have stayed and what is resolved and so on...
I said this a few pages ago, but everyone seems obsessed with the source code argument, which is getting very old. I'm happy with the current situation really, as GPH appear to be trying to comply. So long as we don't get a string of leaked betas for months this is fine.

Anyway I'd STILL really like to know the full details of the LCD tweaker that is built in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiendicus_Prime posted on Feb 8 2006 at 07:37 AM said:
Anyway I'd STILL really like to know the full details of the LCD tweaker that is built in.

It is very much like the already existing tweak program but simplified. It is a slider that can be moved and saved for when you reboot.

=========||=========

In the middle is default. There is also a picture of Mona Lisa that serves absolutely no purpose.

Other changes include:
File explorer options such as move and copy added also a tick box next to files for batch operations. Ebook reader has bookmarks and colour options (didnt notice it in 1.2.1. Bootup seems to be longer but crashing at bootup seems to be gone.... Umm... Divx is in sync again... that's about it really... I may have missed a couple of things.

Iorgy77 posted on Feb 8 2006 at 08:52 AM said:
It is very much like the already existing tweak program but simplified. It is a slider that can be moved and saved for when you reboot.

=========||=========

In the middle is default. There is also a picture of Mona Lisa that serves absolutely no purpose.

Other changes include:
File explorer options such as move and copy added also a tick box next to files for batch operations. Ebook reader has bookmarks and colour options (didnt notice it in 1.2.1. Bootup seems to be longer but crashing at bootup seems to be gone.... Umm... Divx is in sync again... that's about it really... I may have missed a couple of things.
Ah.. the well known test picture Mona Lisa. Nice! Don't think they thought about that much, apart from which picture would be free :D

Thanks for the info. No boot crashes does sound very nice, if that's really fixed (difficult to tell I know). And I'm glad to hear there are a few other improvements.

RE: the LCD tweaker, do you get good results with it or is Hermes' still noticeably better?

Iorgy77 posted on Feb 8 2006 at 07:52 AM said:
Fiendicus_Prime posted on Feb 8 2006 at 07:37 AM said:

=========||=========

Other changes include:

the middle isnt default its just what yours was set to, infact, i cant even set mine to the middle, its either a bit to the left or bit to the right, mine was on a bit to the right of the middle, turns out left was better looking on the screen.

Probably hard to tell just yet I upgraded late last night and just had a quick play around. But it seems to do the job although the existing tweaker might provide finer tuning.

Is the Mona Lisa the best way to see interlace and other issues on the LCD ??

Wouldn't a box that u could change the colurs be better ??

The file browser upgrade sounds much better though.

Just my two penneth :)

I wonder if GPH is using code from one of the tweak apps and has cribbed it into their 1.4.0 firmware.

Heh, thats what ripping off code is all about. Get features and pay for nothing. Drive the original programmer crazy.

Pretty soon GPH is going to be taking pages from Microsloths play-book if they continue like this.

I hope they change their ways, soon.

I don't mind, if they use my LCD Code, because I only want to have a clean screen :).

EDIT: I don't want to read the whole thread ... maybe some of you noticed it, you can not over/underclock by using the cpu_speed.gpe in menu mode. Everytime the gp2xmenu loads the frequency is set to 200mhz. Now you have to make a GPU-scriptfile for every application you want to over/underclock. Just run the cpu_speed.gpe in console-mode right before the actual application and you'll get what you want.

god_at_hell posted on Feb 8 2006 at 01:00 PM said:
I wonder if GPH is using code from one of the tweak apps and has cribbed it into their 1.4.0 firmware.

Heh, thats what ripping off code is all about. Get features and pay for nothing. Drive the original programmer crazy.

Pretty soon GPH is going to be taking pages from Microsloths play-book if they continue like this.

I don't mind, if they use my LCD Code, because I only want to have a clean screen :).

EDIT: I don't want to read the whole thread ... maybe some of you noticed it, you can over/underclock by using the cpu_speed.gpe in menu mode. Everytime the gp2xmenu loads the frequency is set to 200mhz. Now you have to make a GPU-scriptfile for every application you want to over/underclock. Just run the cpu_speed.gpe in console-mode right before the actual application and you'll get what you want.

Thanks ... I noticed it ... and made a new topic complaining about it too :lol:

I 'downgraded' back to 1.2.1 ... this FW has nohing I need (well, the battery light would be nice, but not that important)

I like the easy-to use memu thing for over-clocking ... I'm a simple man :)

TelcoLou posted on Feb 8 2006 at 01:48 PM said:
god_at_hell posted on Feb 8 2006 at 01:00 PM said:

EDIT: I don't want to read the whole thread ... maybe some of you noticed it, you can over/underclock by using the cpu_speed.gpe in menu mode. Everytime the gp2xmenu loads the frequency is set to 200mhz. Now you have to make a GPU-scriptfile for every application you want to over/underclock. Just run the cpu_speed.gpe in console-mode right before the actual application and you'll get what you want.

Thanks ... I noticed it ... and made a new topic complaining about it too :lol:

I 'downgraded' back to 1.2.1 ... this FW has nohing I need (well, the battery light would be nice, but not that important)

I like the easy-to use memu thing for over-clocking ... I'm a simple man :)

What's the syntax for the scripts? Or at least an example?

Edit: hi, found it in the readme... nevermind

Series-8 posted on Feb 8 2006 at 04:44 AM said:

Just for your info: I sent them the code when the app was released to include it in one of the next firmwares ;)

god_at_hell posted on Feb 8 2006 at 08:00 PM said:

... and I even asked you loooong ago if I may send them the code... remember? ;)

Last edited:
god_at_hell posted on Feb 8 2006 at 06:59 PM said:
yes i do ... therefore ... iam pleased that there is a lcd-timer and i don't mind if it's my code :)

... too bad it's not as good as yours ;)

:D
Theres some resume feature in the Video Player
Kind of buggy
Battery ran out and i open the Video Player
It asked me it i wanted to resume, it started from the first video.
Nice feature if it works(maybe it was there long before correct me if i'm wrong)

Some bugs i found mostly Audio(1.2.1 Stereo was always reversed[for me that it]):
Audio Player(Volume suddenly Max out when u Rewind or Fast Forward)
Video Player(Stereo works when file is opened and goes reversed when rewound)
Audio Player(Stereo goes reversed and Normal Stereo randomly when rewound or fast forward)

No idea if all this has been posted before

Back