Firmware 1.4.0 Features

Eh… More of the same… My responses grow more and more apathetic.. Points:
  • This release was kinda sorta “private” in that GPH didn’t put it up in a big obvious place and only gave it to certain people, that’s fine, if however they expected people to not redistribute the firmware that’s not ok.
  • They released more binary files (the firmware) without including or offering the source, which was bad.
  • I’m guessing there still not giving GPL licensed software any credit, or including a copy of the GPL licensee with the firmware, that’s bad.
  • If GPH wants to beta test software they can legally do so internally. If however they would like to tap the community to do there testing, they have to follow the GPL.
  • What GPH should actually do for beta versions of the firmware is distribute it in source form only. That would mean that if you don’t know how to compile it you don’t get to use it.
  • If GPH keeps breaking the law the company will fail, which pretty much screws everybody. Argue all you want but you can’t escape that fact.

evolutional posted on Feb 7 2006 at 09:14 PM said:
What happened to 1.3?

GPH thought that they were only in GPL non-compliance because their firmware numbering was too low. Hence, they're skipping 1.3 so that they can "get the numbers up there" and avoid having to do a source release entirely.

(I hope you had your sarcasm detectors on)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually if anything, that 1.3 -> 1.4 makes it worse.

They are legally required by the license to release EVERY version, sucky or not.

Eventually someone will take the GPL stick and whack them over the head for their balant ignorance/dismissal of the GPL.

The Nokia 770 internet tablet thingy has a fantasic site and all the jazz.
Ditto for Zarius, Yopy, and misc. other weirdly named Linux devices.

I'm willing to bet if GP2X had a spare $1 million they would have bought a WinCE license and NEVER have used Linux.

The GP2X is not really suited to Linux, nor Linux it.

I expect this to go like that video card that used a GPL'ed code, I think it took like 3 YEARS to get them to eventually release SOME of the code.

So if you want GPL compliance go elsewhere, you wont find GPH/Digisys doing it without major legal pressure on them.

Also, if the software did not suck so badly I don't think any of this would have happened.

WOAH! it seems like it was only a few months ago that people were going "AND ITS GOT LINUX TOO!!! NO DRM AND LINUX! THIS CONSOLE IS GOING TO ROCK!!"

what on EARTH happened?

Series-8 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 09:41 PM said:
That is something I will now completely and bluntly disagree with, for the simple reason that the device is targeted at homebrew developers who want to try creating applications for a handheld. Linux makes it easy and fun to do this. I very nearly exploded when I saw my own app running in full glory on a handheld screen.

Well, anyone who has the firmware, Im having a korean friend translate the Microsoft Excel doccument to report bugs, and will give it to ***PRIVATE*** so he/she can put it with the firmware for english testers.

They are legally required by the license to release EVERY version, sucky or not.

The version number is only a name given to it. You can call it version 12.564 if you want. All they did was call it 1.4 because they felt it had changed enough for them to do so.

Mikey242 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 10:15 PM said:

The version number is only a name given to it. You can call it version 12.564 if you want. All they did was call it 1.4 because they felt it had changed enough for them to do so.

um, i thought they only had to release the source if they distributed something? they didnt distribute 1.3, therefore they dont have to give any source...right?

GpDogg posted on Feb 7 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
WOAH! it seems like it was only a few months ago that people were going "AND ITS GOT LINUX TOO!!! NO DRM AND LINUX! THIS CONSOLE IS GOING TO ROCK!!"

what on EARTH happened?
Well, that is one person who has said that. I still think that the GP2X is great and having linux on it is the biggest reason why I think it is great. As someone who has written a lot of SDL programs, it is just great how easy it is to get little games running on the GP2X. There's no way in a million years I would have bought it if it was a WinCE device - I bought it to write games for and I'm having a wonderful time doing that.

GpDogg posted on Feb 7 2006 at 11:06 PM said:
no no no, you should realise that the best updates for the gp2x all go to ELEVEN! When you are playing a game, and it bugs out on you and you were all the way up on ten, where can you go from there?
the answer is - eleven!

SpinalTap Rocks!!!!!

nickspoon posted on Feb 7 2006 at 11:47 PM said:
That is something I will now completely and bluntly disagree with, for the simple reason that the device is targeted at homebrew developers who want to try creating applications for a handheld. Linux makes it easy and fun to do this. I very nearly exploded when I saw my own app running in full glory on a handheld screen.

Yes that was awesome to be able run my Python programs on the gp2x. But it's now even more awesome when I figured somewhat the gp2x's hardware and I'm using it directly (what can be done under Linux too).

I should have been more clear there; indeed 1.3's source will never see the light of day.
(not a problem with the GPL, its used internally only so it does not need a Source release)

1.4 HAS been released however (limited);
So had 1.0.1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, ect...
[rant]
If only I had my own hardware company... I could design a 'better' GP2X clone using the same chipset; and Linux with similar software and a friken Dpad, Li-ion, source included, ect...

It would pulverise the GP2X, GPH and take over all the software from it.

Heck I'm surprised there hasn't been annother similar Linux handheld already.

Clones are just better, cheaper and usually fix most of the issues of an 'original' system.

Besides arn't we all really running IBM Clones/compatibles these days?

Who here has a REAL IBM PC? Anyone?

Also source code would not actually be needed to make a clone compatible. SDL/Linux already does that for us, (give or take some ASM code).[/rant]

Wasn't this thread about the features?

How is the LCD tweaker in 1.4.0 then? Is it as good as Hermes one? Better? I've not seen anyone discuss it in detail yet, apart from saying that you (obviously) don't have to run it every time you boot.

I might have missed it though.

What are the new features in 1.4.0 over the mystical 1.3.0 by the way? LCD tweaker, speedups, underclocking in menus were supposed to be in 1.3.0 according to Craigix & fixing the movieplayer is a given.
1.4.0 now and we don't even get underclocking to my knowledge.

Perhaps the changes are all under the bonnet to allow linking drivers for the proprietary code (divX...), moving towards a source release?

Series-8 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 10:42 PM said:
I should have been more clear there; indeed 1.3's source will never see the light of day.
(not a problem with the GPL, its used internally only so it does not need a Source release)

If only I had my own hardware company... I could design a 'better' GP2X clone using the same chipset; and Linux with similar software and a friken Dpad, Li-ion, source included, ect...

Clones are just better, cheaper and usually fix most of the issues of an 'original' system.

Also source code would not actually be needed to make a clone compatible. SDL/Linux already does that for us, (give or take some ASM code).
That's exactly what GPH are afraid of, and why they didn't release the source in the first place.

I'm not defending GPH, what they've done is wrong, there's no debating that; (<--semicolon!) I'm just saying that GPH have their reasons. It's like saying *insert Hitler analogy here*.

nickspoon posted on Feb 8 2006 at 12:47 AM said:
Series-8 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 10:42 PM said:

Also source code would not actually be needed to make a clone compatible. SDL/Linux already does that for us, (give or take some ASM code).
That's exactly what GPH are afraid of, and why they didn't release the source in the first place.

There is a simple solution - just offer more than only the gp2x!

Licenses for other manufacturers to produce the gp2x clones, the "DiY" versions for hobbyists, the "settop boxes" with built in HD to act like an universal media players.

Look at the VIA with its mobile solutions... The GPH could do even better at small computers as the gp2x's chipset is just one tiny chip and power consumption is far lower as well.

Imagine how great could be a something like the gp2x putted into case of LCD monitor (for an example) - small and easily portable machine and could still act like a generic monitor too.

Radek posted on Feb 7 2006 at 11:11 PM said:

Licenses for other manufacturers to produce the gp2x clones, the "DiY" versions for hobbyists, the "settop boxes" with built in HD to act like an universal media players.

Look at the VIA with its mobile solutions... The GPH could do even better at small computers as the gp2x's chipset is just one tiny chip and power consumption is far lower as well.

Imagine how great could be a something like the gp2x putted into case of LCD monitor (for an example) - small and easily portable machine and could still act like a generic monitor too.
I really hope you're being sarcastic, or I'll have to send you to the Crazy House.

nickspoon posted on Feb 8 2006 at 01:26 AM said:
Radek posted on Feb 7 2006 at 11:11 PM said:

I really hope you're being sarcastic, or I'll have to send you to the Crazy House.

If the GPH is afraid of clonning the gp2x then there should be some demand for licensing it. I think there could be some other business possibilities for GPH too. That's all - it's crazy enough? :)

Back