Mplayer Firmware 1.4.0

hclatwr

Still Fresh
Website
hclatwr.hc.funpic.org
Hi, I upgraded my firmware to 1.4.0 when it got out, I never had any problems until I got my new 2g SD card, with a card that big I didn't have to reencode my movies with pocketdivx, but the original movies or tvshows lagged big time showing 15 fps with distorted sound. I remember when I got the unit, movies played smoothly but I was always low on space, hence the reencoding process. I found copy of mplayer from the 1.2.0 firmware and everything is great, I can even play ogm file that have ogg audio in it without any problem. If anyone else is having the same problem, try the old mplayer and copy it over the /usr/gp2x/mplayer on your gp2x (don't flash your unit with the old firmware)

Good Day !

Heh, seems most people have the opposite problem (1.2 mplayer lagging), but whatever works!

your problem is that you didn't encode the movie
you want to encode it

3 modes ? ... why wasn't I aware of that lol ... I need to watch some more vandame clips (for those who don't understand don't mind)
modes are 100/166/200mhz can be changed (before loading the clip) with the "Y" button, the result can be seen in the upper left corner of the menu
save=100mhz normal=166mhz full=200mhz

I've never had a lagging problem, but sometimes my movies randomly freeze, and I get massive color distortions.

Nah, they probably aren't able to provide the power needed for movie playing, so the processors crash. The fading colors is definitely a sign that the processors stopped running.

I hate the fact that now, on firmware 1.4.0, the video occasionally stops playing, and requires a reboot to work again.

You could call it crashing, except the media player application is obviously still working: press Y and the menu appears. But there's no way to close it, so you're stuck in the media player without the video playing, and even though the thing hasn't crashed in the strictest sense, you're still required to reboot to go playing again. If the video player hadn't stopped responding, it would be a simple matter of quitting and restarting. Ugh.

Never had that problem on 1.0.0 though.

It is quite likely down to the fact that if you have a file 200Mb in size it will be easier (as smaller) for the GP2x to work with and transfer. A 1Gb file will be harder for the GP2x to manage and transfer, so it will have to work harder. Work harder = lower framerates.

Use your 2Mb SD card to store multiple movies - you should be able to store about 7 with good quality (320x240 pixels, as per the GP2x's screen).

Thanks for all of your help, but the point was I didn't want to re-encode my movies. That was then, now I realise that by re-encoding my movies I can
1- Stock more movies on my sd card
2- Save on the battery life

But on the other side ... it's a pain in the butt to re-encode my files all the time.

Back