Most Wanted Firmware Features

Faster boot, cut out the fat.

Fix the interlace without making the gamma too high.

Support for 4-GIG SD cards, Please!

But it does support XviD :s

Tell you what, encode a movie in Divx and then again in Xvid. Watch them both and tell me that Xvid is "supported". :angry:

The only experience I've had in GP2X converting/encoding is the movie "Things to Come"

I d/l'd it from the internet archive, free & legal :) got it in MPEG format, converted it using Super© converter to Xvid. Looks crisp and clear to me, great audio too. No problems that I can see ...

Oh, and back on topic;

Yes, GPH ... please fix it so I don't have to run LCD tweak every time I start my system ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure mine have been mentioned, but I'll shoot.

-fix those scanlines just like the lcd tweaker does! (or better)
-fix my movie sync, 1.2.1 just killed it (given)
-give me a file manager that lets me do *something* with my files and folders
-give me basic visualizations with the mp3 player
-allow helper app associations in the file manager
-battery light. use it for SOMETHING.
-stop on-boot freezes. I had to try 3 times to get it to start today. nearly 2 min
-give me the option of viewing the kernel starting instead of the splash screen
-let me change that splash screen.
-allow networking via usb cable (pipedream)
-save my NAND! keep programs from using it for storage, automatically redirect them to save to /nand/ folder on SD

whew...now I feel soo much better

After reading this I've tried lcd tweaker to see what changes it makes to the scanlines and they still exist no matter what settings i choose. The problem is that they need to change the way the lcd updates so its one line after the other not alternating lines. I'm pretty sure the lcd tweaker doesnt fix that

I don't think it's possible to make the LCD update in a non-interlaced way, but it'd be good if someone who's seen the datasheets can confirm.

Different more safe and reliable firmware update procudure. I happen to be lucky enough to have a 256Mb card that does upgrade the firmware but it's better to be able to backup the old firmware and flash a new firmware or have the device boot from a card when the firmware is corrupted.

I don't know if it's something in the firmware or not but I'd like to be able to plug into any computer via USB and actually connect - I've tried about 6 different systems with different OSs and no luck. All of the other mentioned stuff would be nice but the USB is still number one on my list.

Improved battery life coming in 1.3.0?
I am impressed - how has that been achieved? And who has started a fire underneath the firmware dev team! :)

LCD flicker has to be the first issue fixed (seeing as LCD tweaker does it perfectly).
Scanlines, couldn't give a toss about them - do they really bug everyone so much?
Changing the firmware update method to avoid brickings would be very sensible, but I can live with ejecting my card for now.
Underclocking options in the kernel (overclocking is obviously unrealistic because GPH won't want you to fry your GP2X).
Fast boot from a hibernation file would be great, but that's a hardcore fix for version 2.0.0 I think !

Divx has nice and smooth frame rates, whilst xvid admittedly plays, it is nearly unwatchable because of the choppiness.

gp2x player doesn't decode b-frames, instead jumps over them, causing blockiness as xvid defaults to use b-frames (and divx default to not using them). Have ever tried to code something in xvid without b-frames? it looks perfect then.

My wish would be then for the gp2x mplayer to support b-frames, some more advanced codec options like qpel and gmc, having an h264 decoder, and, most of all, mkv support.

Last edited by a moderator:
desirables:
1. faster bootup
2. longer battery life
3. a less risky method of updating firmware
4. a tea making attachment, complete with biscuit holder.

though I'm not sure how 4. would be achieved purely in software :D :unsure:

I would like all the things said before,

but first of all for me is acpi support for hibernate and standby.
That save batteries and permit to play walking around without wait boot-up time.

Another things i'll introduce inside my boot script sequence is a getty on the console to permit a login and a shell on serial cable, but this is a dev need and not for all (that mean a keyboard !!!).

one more thing :p
have I said about ACPI controls? :)

Boot time that is all i cant stands the boot time i want to have a quick game and half the time it freezes on the green screen as it boots or takes so long i think it has
: /

- volume buttons that work in any program
- boot from SD / USB to avoid kernel loading would be nice (eg: Load into whatever you want)
- USB 1.0 support would be nice :(

Back