Firmware 1.4.0 Features

GOD!

Mr Doctor put it best. Some of you are some whiney bitches. Just because it's avaiable to everyone doesn't make it inherently public. The HL2 source wasn't a public release. The context of the word public being confused. Yes it's available to people outside of the private sector - because it was leaked. Don't blame that on GPH, blame that on the leakers. And why would you mad at the leakers anyway? If I had the beta I'd prolly end up passing it around to a couple friends anyway.

Be thankful that they're testing the FW beforehand. Making sure it doesn't brick ur unit, finding bugs etc. Imagine if a beta was publically released and half of you bitches got ur gp2x bricked. You guys would be on here bitching even worse. This is ridiculous, I think GPH has a long way to go as a company but some of you are just insane.

Give it a break and stop being so unrealistic.

this whole thing stinks of jerks.

the, I've got it, it was "privately released" and I'm special, jerk
the, I want it, why would you post about it here then, jerk
the, I made a system and won't support it with official releases, jerk
the linux gpl mailbomb jerk

the current firmware is broken. and *now* we decide to slow down for "testing"... What, wasn't there enough feedback on the last one? it wasn't "tested"--but now we've got gpl mailbomb jerks who don't like releases without source. So now we have to jump through hoops to get unofficial unreleases. Let me guess, soon, we'll have to log on IRC, msg a bot to get our FTP password to get the 1.9.3 "beta" because 1.2.1 is still the current "release".

I'm sure there's a semi-decent reason for GPH not to release the source. Either they used something they shouldn't have, or they don't want it to be used in other handhelds--not my problem. What is my problem is that the current firmware does not play movies. "Poor GPH" is not the proper response for a company that sold a product that doesn't meet its own feature list. I think "fix it in 24 hrs" is closer.

and here's a question, does anybody actually still believe that this is a beta release? Then why is it more stable than their stable releases? and why ever talk about it here, especially with the 'private release' tone?

it is not private since u can get in IRC so stop whining, u guys really suck, always arguing about GPH, good that they dont understand well english.

Reaperman93010 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 06:17 AM said:
yeah, great idea.
the I-have-something-you-don't-have thread.
great scene here, too.

this 'release system' is beginning to anger me.

Thank the GPL geeks for that. Now no source=no release. If all parties don't agree to source release it will be a LONG time before we get the new FW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant believe the shit going on here after the last firmware was released.
You guys are so funny. Whats this place going to be like after it gets released for real.
"Does it work on this sd card, my unit is bricked, do I need to re-format blah blah"
Love it! :D

DaveC posted on Feb 7 2006 at 03:19 PM said:
Reaperman93010 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 06:17 AM said:
yeah, great idea.
the I-have-something-you-don't-have thread.
great scene here, too.

this 'release system' is beginning to anger me.

Thank the GPL geeks for that. Now no source=no release. If all parties don't agree to source release it will be a LONG time before we get the new FW.
Why are the "GPL geeks" to blame for this? What they are doing with this beta is exactly as contrary to the GPL as what they were doing with their public releases was. It's obviously not a secret either way and they are still distributing binaries without the source, which is still against the terms of the GPL. Nevertheless, I'm pretty convinced that we'll see the source soon, because it looks like they finally understand the issue, albeit perhaps not the details.

This blaming of GPL advocates comes up a lot, but it's completely bogus of course. GPH didn't release 1.3.x because they couldn't provide the source code, but the fact that they couldn't provide the source code is their fault, not the fault of the people who were pointing out the fact that they were obliged to provide it! GPH's problems are caused by GPH and nobody else. They have this problem because, incredibly, they didn't seem to understand the terms of the GPL before they designed, built and released a product based on a Linux kernel and GPLed music player.

the beta firmware was on a fairly general release, anyone that was in the irc dev channel could have asked for it and got it.

the point of it being a beta release is that the v1.2.0 firmware release had a large bug which prevented SD cards working. half the forums are up in arms saying why aint the firmware tested beforehand. so this time the firmware is being tested by people in the dev channel beforehand.

the v1.4 firmware has a problem with SDL audio in some circumstances, this means that audio will play at double speed. do you want that on your gp2x until the next release/fix is out?

cant win either way, test or dont test the firmware and people moan. stop yer fucking moaning all the time :)

Patched.

seems a "tad" faster

As for people blaming the "gpl jerks" you are totally wrong.

It's an agreement which should be stuck too, and dont play the "korean" card as the GPL has been translated in korean.

They are making an effort, but i get the feeling that the effort is half handed, and the whole gpl- /. thing is a great scapegoat, but I may be completly wrong.

I just feel they need to embrace the community, not leave it in the dark.

Anyway we can all get along, because some sort of progress is being made.

Guyfawkes posted on Feb 7 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
the beta firmware was on a fairly general release, anyone that was in the irc dev channel could have asked for it and got it.

the point of it being a beta release is that the v1.2.0 firmware release had a large bug which prevented SD cards working. half the forums are up in arms saying why aint the firmware tested beforehand. so this time the firmware is being tested by people in the dev channel beforehand.

the v1.4 firmware has a problem with SDL audio in some circumstances, this means that audio will play at double speed. do you want that on your gp2x until the next release/fix is out?

cant win either way, test or dont test the firmware and people moan. stop yer fucking moaning all the time :)

what about LCD ? its fixed problems with scanlines etc?

Reaperman93010 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 07:50 AM said:
What we have here is an "open but you can't play right now, ha ha I'm better, and you're stupid" beta. Just ask Xisiqomelir up there.

No putting words in my mouth please! I made no mention of intelligence or cerebrational capacity or any other such thing, and if you took it to be an unwritten implication of that nature I can assure you I never intended it that way.

I said hilarious, because the situation is absurd. Not because people who want the FW and can't find it are absurdly stupid, but because the method of distribution isn't secure enough for a closed beta (no PW for the download), yet is still being obfuscated and occluded. Unless the GPL non-compliance of 1.4 so far is actually the reason the FW hasn't had a public release (which would be commendable), this sort of beta on an open handheld IS hilarious.

Xisiqomelir posted on Feb 7 2006 at 09:13 AM said:
Unless the GPL non-compliance of 1.4 so far is actually the reason the FW hasn't had a public release (which would be commendable), this sort of beta on an open handheld IS hilarious.

That, I'm sure, is why it was done the way it was. I don't think it was supposed to get this much coverage in this forum, but now the damage has already been done.

I wish people would calm down and let them release the final version of this firmware, with the progress they've made it shouldn't be that long.

evening2005 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 03:30 PM said:
This blaming of GPL advocates comes up a lot, but it's completely bogus of course. GPH didn't release 1.3.x because they couldn't provide the source code, but the fact that they couldn't provide the source code is their fault, not the fault of the people who were pointing out the fact that they were obliged to provide it! GPH's problems are caused by GPH and nobody else. They have this problem because, incredibly, they didn't seem to understand the terms of the GPL before they designed, built and released a product based on a Linux kernel and GPLed music player.

Perhaps it is, perhaps it isnt. However, its happened and peoples solution to this is bad mouthing, whining and generally being little "£$%S.

I respect GPL and what it stands for. I also admire people who stick up for it deeply. However I also belive there is a time and a place, you people ARNT lawyers but sometimes you act like it. It can be beneficial to give someone the benefit of the doubt and simply turn a blind eye. What scares me is the amount of bitching and whining and the form it tends to take and I do wonder if its the start of a community going down hill - completly contray to what GPL stands for!

It makes the place tense, unfriendly and just not nice to be apart of. In my life I have made some fundamental cockups, some of them COMPLETLY stupid. I'm either a lucky guy or some higher power is smiling down on me because thoughout that all I have been surrounded by the type of people who have been the kind to say "damn, nevermind pal - we know you can get it right, we still support you" and then praise when I sorted said issue, rather than the type of people who would point at my mistake, drag it kicking and screaming out, bitch about it, insult me, say wtf are you doing what kind of idiot are you rar rar etc etc and basically grinding my face into the mud over it.

I wonder which type of person/community GPH are currently surrounded by? I totally respect that people going off on the GPL thang have a good excuse for it at least, but a good excuse isnt always a reason to do so. I've had good excuses (maybe even reasons) for giving someone a bloody good fist in the face many times - that doesnt nessiarilly mean I should. It seems alot of people bitch and whine simply because they can. And thats it. They can, they have an excuse, so they will. No one ever bothers to ask the question "Is it Helping?" - and half the time I dont think it is. and if its not helping........

I just wish people would cool off more. I'm not alone in fully beliving that we will see the source that we want so bad. I also doubt im alone in beliving half the people that did the loudest bitching wont even touch it and when we have it someone will just find something else to whine about instead. I belive GPH made a cockup with the whole GPL thing and naturally wish they haddnt. However they did and that takes time to fix. If they could throw the source out this second they probably would, its actually third parties holding them back half the time. In that sense its not GPH's fault. In the sense that they should of had it sorted with the companies before they released it is admittedly their fault. That, right there, is 100% the error they made and where it started. However, now, despite being the cause of the problem, it is no longer THE problem. Whats more, yelling, flaming, mailbombing and all the other shit we've seen is DEFINATLY not the solution - all its doing is making this place a nastier place to be and is completly contray to the very heart of what GPL is which is community and team work.

Theres my 32 pounds, 67pence and one french cent that somehow slipped in. I just wish people would cool off and wait for the issues WE cant fix to be fixed by the people who can.

Reaperman93010 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 03:09 PM said:
Let me guess, soon, we'll have to log on IRC, msg a bot to get our FTP password to get the 1.9.3 "beta" because 1.2.1 is still the current "release".
You must own an xbox lol

Yet again I find myself completely fed up of another pointless flamewar that's masking something genuinely interesting - the progress being made on the firmware.

Would someone just get hold of a copy, host it (with a big notice that says "WARNING!!! NOT FULLY TESTED!!!") and post a link. Let the whiners have their firmware without all the trouble of logging into IRC and asking for it.

People might not realise it, but the GPL permits this, too. That's why there are no closed betas in the linux world. You can't stop someone from redistributing GPLed software once they have it.

Free as in freedom.

Now... where can I find a thread to discuss the current (and future) state of the firmware in a flame-free environment? Any ideas?

Back