Firmeware 2.1.0 Ready!

Ryo posted on Oct 20 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
subcon959 posted on Oct 20 2006 at 10:26 PM said:
I've copied the previous versions of EbookReader and PhotoViewer over now. The EbookReader seems to be working OK although the menu to choose between SD/NAND/EXT is gone now, but that's alright since I would only really need SD access anyway. The PhotoViewer just gives a blank screen though. Pressing START takes me back to gmenu2x but none of the other buttons do anything, and same as before there is no menu for SD/NAND etc.
You should also copy the files from an old skin to the same path as the old ebook reader and the photo viewer.
I copied the imgimage folder from the default skin from 2.0 and now I can use PhotoViewer again.

Thanks Ryo!

Last edited by a moderator:
YES! Thank you god! I cant believe I only see this after it hits page 5 lol. Well, YES YES YES! (flashing now)

subcon959 posted on Oct 20 2006 at 11:18 PM said:
I copied the imgimage folder from the default skin from 2.0 and now I can use PhotoViewer again.

Thanks Ryo!
PSyMastR posted on Oct 20 2006 at 11:20 PM said:
YES! Thank you god! I cant believe I only see this after it hits page 5 lol. Well, YES YES YES! (flashing now)

LOL! And I didn't even try it yet :)

subcon959 posted on Oct 20 2006 at 11:24 PM said:
Does everyone else still have 2.0 on the black bootscreen?

The green one shows 2.1.0 though.

That's normal. The bootloader didn't change in this release...

Regards,
Stephan

I think I'll give this one a miss!
By what I'm reading in these threads, it's KAK!
I mean why would anyone bother upgrading for this? If theres a real upgrade involving real improvements, such as new video formats or not screwing up DrMd, which is a bitchin' emu, call me. I've just downloaded gmenu2x and craigamp instead.
FW 2.1.0.......a wasted opportunity, in my humble opinion.

Uff, I just finished to fix CANDY skin for the NEW firmware.
Download it here (1 Mb) and run .GPE file:
www.thesands.ru/candy_skin_fw21.zip
scrnshot[1].jpg

It was a hard work!

you should check out the new Dual Core PicoDrive. Pico was always better in the fact it emulated more facets of the MD but it was always slower. Now with the new one it imho becomes the superior MD EMU. The menus arent as nice as DrMD but thats fine by me... :p

I also have the feeling that this fw is disappointing but we should consider that this is 2.1 not 3.0

Good points:
* Movie player more stable
* Music player command line driven (this allows me to integrate it in gmenu2x much better) + id3 tags

Bad points:
* Ebook and Photo viewer are now integrated
* DrMd doesn't work anymore

But there are some considerations to do:
DrMd can be easily updated to use the mmu hack kernel module has all other emus, since its sourcecode is available
Old Ebook and Photo viewer can be used.

What's really bad are all those issues users are having, but I didn't encounter them so I can't say anything in this regard.
My general opinion is that this is not THAT bad, but it's still not good.

I dont see a real reason not to update. It takes like 5 minutes to tweak it back to how 2.0 and yeah it doesnt add anything big but it seems more like a stability update then feature one.

Even though people may not care about DrMD, its one of the gp2x's killer app for many people. I can personally live without it (no offense reesy) but some cant. I would alter it, but Ive given up on setting up a dev environment for 2x compilation. (The new firmware seems to boot a bit faster)

I've just updated mine from firmware 2.0.

I've tried WS2X before and after updating and take notes about the speed. It's the same speed with or without MMU Hack in both firmwares so I would say that this kernel doesn't affect in any way the use of MMU Hack.

Sorry for my English :unsure:

Ryo posted on Oct 20 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
I also have the feeling that this fw is disappointing but we should consider that this is 2.1 not 3.0

Good points:
* Movie player more stable
* Music player command line driven (this allows me to integrate it in gmenu2x much better) + id3 tags

no, movieplayer is NOT more stable for me.... i am watching lots of music-video-clips while in my car... so i "skip" a lot, but

1) it often crashes now when skipping with L and R. never had this occure with fw 2.0. also,

2.) opening a file via the upper menue-bar gives me a black screen, but it works fine, when i push "stop"-button before pushing the "opening"-button. i have lots of movie-files on my 2 gb sd. this also didn`t happen with 2.0.... am i the only one?

Well I think there's already a very good piece of firmware available. 2.0 is great, and there are not much bugs in it (if any).
I think the fact that 2.1 isn't such a great breakthrough is because 2.0 is very good. Of course it could be that under the hood there are some small changes made in 2.1 that nobody is aware of...

There certainly are.
This files have been updated but I don't know what changes have been made:
* net2272 and g_file_storage kernel modules
* libunicodefont.so (I think it wasn't present before and it's for unicode support)
* libSDL_inifile
* libjpeg
* libiconv_plug

you can grab liquido.gps from http://207.44.176.77/~admin28/Liquido.zip (there until tomorrow morning). can someone upload to the gp2x archive for me, just got home and am knackered. thanks :)

oh, is anyone interested in writing a small guide on how the skin maker and the new skin feature works? will save me some time tomorrow working it all out and writing/adding it to the gp2x user guide. let me know or post here. thanks again :)

Back