Firmeware 2.1.0 Ready!

I just updated to see the changes and to consider if gmenu2x needed some tweaks to remain compatible.

I just checked it for a couple of minutes and what I saw is this:

1. the music player is now command line driven, so you can use the selector from gmenu2x (you actually have to, 'cause it's the only way). the output of the player is this:
Code:
[root@gp2x gp2x]$./MusicPlayer
argc: 1
argv[0] = ./MusicPlayer
./MusicPlayer <PATH> <FILENAME>

2. the e-book reader and the photo viewer are probably now built-in so that they could implement those useless transitions. It would have been good enough if they made the same thing as the music player, using the command line, but they didn't...

I'll check more later...

I have reported a lot of bugs to GPH and I see they haven't considered my points. New firmware is full of new bugs. I don't know if this is the situation for other character sets but if you select ISO-8859-9 (Turkish Char Set) E-Book doesn't display next character following an accented character. For example; Lets say character "x" is an accented character and if your text is something like that:

xapple

E-Book viewer shows this text like this:

xpple

Second point; i really don't understand why they don't put a gamma control on LCD settings? And why Brightnes and Contrast settings are available for only video? Why they don't implement a playlist to music player and movie player? And why they don't simply put craigAmp if they are unable to make a better one?

Is it a straightforward process to go back to 2.0? I haven't gained anything by updating.. in fact I've lost the ability to use some apps from within gmenu2x so I see no reason to stick with this.

I'll probably include the old e-book reader and photo viewer in the next release of gmenu2x so that users don't lose their functionality.

In the meanwhile, you could simply copy the ebook and photo viewer from the old firmware without downgrading, and use the selector in conjuction with the music player (I'll improve it to browse through the directories in next releases) or copy it as the other apps.

Don't know about the downgrade process, but if you still want to, I think it should be possible.

[Update]
I've just made the new link for the music player. I tested it, and it works fine.
Code:
title=Music
icon=icons/music.png
exec=/usr/gp2x/MusicPlayer
params=[selPath] [selFile][selExt]
clock=75
selectordir=/mnt/sd/Music/
selectorfilter=.mp3,.ogg
wrapper=true
Pay attention to the space character between [selPath] and [selFile][selExt]
Of course the current selector is limited in functionality and you have to put all your music in the same directory to use it, but I'll update it.

honestly i just consider gph a hardware company, i don't even acknowledge their ability to make software, especially after this disappointment. After all the delays, all they had to do was hint at their loyal customers as to what was going on. But instead they seem to stay hard headed.Either way though cuz the community is taking care of itself so its not really that big of a deal :blink:

Since this FW the OGM files i played are doing weird.. the movie time for each OGM is now 00:00 and when i go fast forward it freezes.. I checked the video on bad frames but the file is OK.

edit: im going to downgrade to 2.0

Umm, DrMD5b7 works just fine? I just tried it and it works for me AND PicoDrive. Only problem i'm having is the dumb computer not finding the GP2X connected via USB anymore. Anyone? :(

Knuckles500 posted on Oct 20 2006 at 08:58 PM said:
Umm, DrMD5b7 works just fine? I just tried it and it works for me AND PicoDrive. Only problem i'm having is the dumb computer not finding the GP2X connected via USB anymore. Anyone? :(
Sounds like you have applied the gpu patch but not actually upgraded the base firmware... with the FW files on your SD power on and hold START and SELECT. :) Then you'll be crashing DrMD and hopefully your USB will work again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryo posted on Oct 20 2006 at 08:39 PM said:
I'll probably include the old e-book reader and photo viewer in the next release of gmenu2x so that users don't lose their functionality.

In the meanwhile, you could simply copy the ebook and photo viewer from the old firmware without downgrading, and use the selector in conjuction with the music player (I'll improve it to browse through the directories in next releases) or copy it as the other apps.

Don't know about the downgrade process, but if you still want to, I think it should be possible.

[Update]
I've just made the new link for the music player. I tested it, and it works fine.
Code:
title=Music
icon=icons/music.png
exec=/usr/gp2x/MusicPlayer
params=[selPath] [selFile][selExt]
clock=75
selectordir=/mnt/sd/Music/
selectorfilter=.mp3,.ogg
wrapper=true
Pay attention to the space character between [selPath] and [selFile][selExt]
Of course the current selector is limited in functionality and you have to put all your music in the same directory to use it, but I'll update it.
Thanks Ryo. I was just trying to copy them over but with the new firmware pressing B on the USB icon (default menu) doesn't do anything for me :rolleyes: I guess I can put the on the NAND via an SD Card but if I've now lost USB connectivity then I'm definitely going to just downgrade.

subcon959 posted on Oct 20 2006 at 10:12 PM said:
Thanks Ryo. I was just trying to copy them over but with the new firmware pressing B on the USB icon (default menu) doesn't do anything for me
Mm... this usually happens when you have network services active, have you checked if this is the case?

Wheres is the WMV video support?

GPH: If you DONT plan to support it then just DELETE from your website the sentence that says there will be future support for wmv!

Ryo posted on Oct 20 2006 at 09:16 PM said:
subcon959 posted on Oct 20 2006 at 10:12 PM said:
Thanks Ryo. I was just trying to copy them over but with the new firmware pressing B on the USB icon (default menu) doesn't do anything for me
Mm... this usually happens when you have network services active, have you checked if this is the case?
I'm not sure what the problem was but it's fixed now after toggling USB Network on and off a few times.

I've copied the previous versions of EbookReader and PhotoViewer over now. The EbookReader seems to be working OK although the menu to choose between SD/NAND/EXT is gone now, but that's alright since I would only really need SD access anyway. The PhotoViewer just gives a blank screen though. Pressing START takes me back to gmenu2x but none of the other buttons do anything, and same as before there is no menu for SD/NAND etc.

How long does it take to update the Firmware from the beginning at the Firmware Upgrading part? Ive been here for about 10 to 15 minutes now :(

subcon959 posted on Oct 20 2006 at 10:26 PM said:
I'm not sure what the problem was but it's fixed now after toggling USB Network on and off a few times.
There was probably a kernel module loaded, that interfered with usb.

subcon959 posted on Oct 20 2006 at 10:26 PM said:
I've copied the previous versions of EbookReader and PhotoViewer over now. The EbookReader seems to be working OK although the menu to choose between SD/NAND/EXT is gone now, but that's alright since I would only really need SD access anyway. The PhotoViewer just gives a blank screen though. Pressing START takes me back to gmenu2x but none of the other buttons do anything, and same as before there is no menu for SD/NAND etc.
You should also copy the files from an old skin to the same path as the old ebook reader and the photo viewer.

Ouch so wth happened with me, should I turn it off or what? well i turned it off and now I cant get past the first Gray GP2X screen It still lets me attempt to firmware upgrade but it still will not upgrade.

USB mode is still much a pain in the ass :angry:
We'd rather use NFS, it's slower, but dont corrupt your filesystem!

Back