How To Creat Your Own Skin For The Firmware 2.1

Epicenter posted on Oct 23 2006 at 09:08 AM said:
It's not just a matter of looks. It's poorly laid out and thus slower to get at what you want, and inefficient and slow, so doing the simplest tasks involves a lengthy wait.

Most stuff I use takes 3 seconds to get to and Music Player is quicker (I call the folder Audio). Video Player is often quicker as I am usually continuing from where I left off.

I would agree that it is inefficient especially if you have several levels of directories or lots of files in one directory. I tend to keep as little of possible on my card with the directories named to keep the ones I use most at the top of the list.

I don't find 3 seconds or less a lengthy wait - I thought it was less until I timed myself.

Psychologically it seems less because I'm not waiting, I'm pressing buttons.

Both my perceptions and your's are subjective, just because you dislike most things about the GP2X doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way, any more than I expect everyone to like the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a way to edit soemthing so that i can move the icons on the main menu or even other pictures on otehr parts of the gui?

is there a way to edit soemthing so that i can move the icons on the main menu or even other pictures on otehr parts of the gui?

You cannot move the icons. You can increase the icon size however. I found that you can increase the size of
button.png to 640x180, that is the point where the icon edges touch each other. This makes each icon 80X90.

As for other parts of the menu, you can change the body.png, which is the background. There is an option for a title.png, which will put the title over the background, but under the icons, so be careful with placement. Best make this png the same size as body.png, 320x240. You will need to make the background of title.png transparent.

EDIT: A tip I use to find the center where the icons go, is I reduce button.png to 8x2, color it all red (or some contrasting color against your body.png). This will show as a single red pixel on the menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back