Firmeware 2.1.0 Ready!

shinneri posted on Oct 21 2006 at 05:16 AM said:
I'm a purist. I wouldn't want to use anything but the original menu; it just seems wrong to change it. That's also why I always stuck with the European FW on my BLU.
I know what you mean cos I am usually the same way, but have you not even checked gmenu2x out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryo posted on Oct 20 2006 at 07:02 PM said:
I just updated to see the changes and to consider if gmenu2x needed some tweaks to remain compatible.

I just checked it for a couple of minutes and what I saw is this:

1. the music player is now command line driven, so you can use the selector from gmenu2x (you actually have to, 'cause it's the only way). the output of the player is this:
Code:
[root@gp2x gp2x]$./MusicPlayer
argc: 1
argv[0] = ./MusicPlayer
./MusicPlayer <PATH> <FILENAME>

2. the e-book reader and the photo viewer are probably now built-in so that they could implement those useless transitions. It would have been good enough if they made the same thing as the music player, using the command line, but they didn't...

I'll check more later...

not sure if this can help but
gmenu2x has command line options to show the ebook etc. the only downside perhaps ? is that u get to use the defaults menu file selector.
gp2xmenu --view-ebook
gp2xmenu --view-photo

btw for those intrested here are all the command line options for gp2xmenu:
--disable-autorun : disables the autorun option
--force-autorun : think it forces to turn on autorun option
--enable-terminate : terminate application when start is pressed
--view-main : think it shows the main menu
--view-game : shows the game selector
--view-music : shows the music player selector
--view-photo : shows photo file selector (and runs the photo viewer afterwards)
--view-ebook: shows ebook file selector (and runs the ebook afterwards)
--view-explorer : shows the explorer
--view-utility: show utility file selector
--view-setting : shows the settings menu
--view-system : shows the system menu
--boot : dunno what it does

update:
just checked a bit more only way i see u could use this is run it with the following command line options :
gp2xmenu --view-photo --enable-terminate so that the menu terminates when start is being pressed. no way around the file selector for now doh
another intresting part u could use in gmenu2x is the showing the system menu :
./gp2xmenu --view-system --enable-terminate

hope this helps

They really are! This allows for gmenu2x to reuse some of the functionalities of gp2xmenu without rewriting them.
I was thinking abount searching for the command line options of the new menu, you saved me some time.
Thanks.

subcon959 posted on Oct 21 2006 at 03:00 PM said:
Also could've saved me a lot of hassle if I'd known this yesterday :p
True.
If only they mentioned this in the changelog...

Anyway, I tried this options and they work just fine. I also created link in the settings section to the settings of the original frontend.
Here's an example link:
Code:
title=System
description=Configure options from the original frontend
icon=sections/settings.png
exec=/usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
params=--disable-autorun --enable-terminate --view-system
wrapper=true

This command line options make this firmware a little more useful.

mine wont upgrade
i get the firmware update screen but my info page still shows im 2.0
but the green boot screen says 2.1
and i wanted to play with the skins too :(

edit: how the hell did i miss that? thanks ryo it works great now

Must say I am pleased with the new firmware. I own an first edition gp2x and was never satisfied with the movieplayer. The screen sufferd from severe scanlines and the brightness was way up. So I switched to a very nice sony dvd-walkan to watch movies...

Now with the new firmware the screen settings make watching a better experience. With brightness levels at minimum and after fiddling with the contrast it was better.
After adjusting the other lcd-setting slider it came close to a good screen.

With brightness at minimum the screen is still a little to bright but ... finally some improvement for the old mk1 screens...

DynaMight posted on Oct 20 2006 at 12:07 PM said:
PokeParadox posted on Oct 20 2006 at 06:03 PM said:
DBH posted on Oct 20 2006 at 06:02 PM said:
You another thing i just noticed which is funny, none of the topic starters know how to spell "Firmware" ;) :D
Brains are weird... I didn't notice the typos till you mentioned...

Tehy say taht aslnog as the fsirt and lsat lteers in ecah wrod are crorcet tehn the barin wlil sitll raed it crrecotly. or sumets lik dat aniwys shutup woteva. :ph34r:

Actually, I noticed all of your typos, although my brain could still read it easily. So I guess it's true to some extent.

jmetal88 posted on Oct 21 2006 at 08:24 PM said:
You another thing i just noticed which is funny, none of the topic starters know how to spell "Firmware" ;) :D

Tehy say taht aslnog as the fsirt and lsat lteers in ecah wrod are crorcet tehn the barin wlil sitll raed it crrecotly. or sumets lik dat aniwys shutup woteva. :ph34r:

Actually, I noticed all of your typos, although my brain could still read it easily. So I guess it's true to some extent.
It's 100% ture taht you can raed any wrod alsnog as the frist and lsat lteter are in tiehr croerct psotioins.

He just made too many typos and used "TXT Talk".

sam fisher posted on Oct 21 2006 at 03:17 PM said:

It's 100% ture taht you can raed any wrod alsnog as the frist and lsat lteter are in tiehr croerct psotioins.

Yes that is true, but my brain does know the difference. I have also been known to read phonetically at times (just for kicks) and so I end up reading your supposed to be "as long" as "al snog" and "first" as "frist", etc., and "croerct" really bothers me, even when not reading phonetically.

jmetal88 posted on Oct 21 2006 at 09:23 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Oct 21 2006 at 03:17 PM said:

Yes that is true, but my brain does know the difference. I have also been known to read phonetically at times (just for kicks) and so I end up reading your supposed to be "as long" as "al snog" and "first" as "frist", etc., and "croerct" really bothers me, even when not reading phonetically.
I agree with you, I read phonetically also, but I still recognise it as the same. I also often read "same" as "sam eh".

subcon959, Liquido skin is great, but there is a problem with ID3 tags in music player. Please, check it. Guess, one window should be redrawn.

The highlight of this release is definitely movie player stability.

I tried to watch this horizon documentary (1hr long) xvid avi with vbr mp3 audio, downloaded from emule the other day and it was stopping every 5 or 10 minutes with firmware v2.0 - nasty.
Now with v2.1 firmware it plays the same movie faultlessly. A real achievement I think.

But the mp3 player imo has a nasty new crap 'feature':
I like to play long mp3s sometimes, audio books etc. What a joke on the new firmware.
Good luck fast forwarding to say 30 mins into the track; Takes you about 5 minutes while you sit and wait for it to make tiny steps forward of about 5 seconds. Very annoying.
craigix posted on Oct 20 2006 at 06:48 PM said:
You know I offered them CraigAmp to replace the mp3 player they have and they refused saying their player was much better.
Disappointed with the new gp2x mp3 player I tried yours Craig and unfortunately it crashed for me trying to play a 40mb+ mp3 audiobook :eek:
I realised that your player (I think) is constrained a bit by SDL standard functions, ie no fast forward/rewind mid mp3 and using SDL_LoadWAV to cache a tune instead of streaming hence why big mp3s will crash it !?
Good effort though. I guess it will be pretty tough to add mid-song fast-forward/rewind or add streaming with the standard SDL mixer functions.. hope you figure out a workaround :)

The stability of the Movie player is much improved as far as I can tell: it now seems to play any xvid avi I throw at it all the way through, whereas before it would randomly freeze at some point.

However can anyone verify, for me but the playback doesn't seem so smooth now. I had an episode of Lost on my SD which played vey smoothly before - now it plays well except it seems to be dropping frames.

The random stops sucks ass. I haven't been able to to see through a whole video yet with fw 2.0.0
But then.. DrMD.. i still want to use it... :/
Is it possible to only update the movieplayer?

Back