Finished! (Well... the schematics, that is)

You're right. Let's end the fight and wait for the 4K upgrade. :p
Ooof! I can feel the battery screaming. :eek: -Glyph Reader
Battery usage is proportional to surface area and nothing else. (edit: roughly. But saying "higher resolution=higher power" is certainly wrong)
The higher the pixel density, the brighter the backlight needs to be to get the same brightness in front of the screen.
Sure? That makes sense if the pixel grid blocks more light even when set to translucent (so higher proportion of in-between-the-pixels space), but on the other hand I thought it was not like that in practice and wouldn't image quality degrade if the pixels were worse in that way?Need to look it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't more pixel not mean also more operations to change/refresh a picture? And every operation consumes energy, i believe, independently of pixel size.

Won't more pixel not mean also more operations to change/refresh a picture? And every operation consumes energy, i believe, independently of pixel size.
The GPU/CPU might draw (much) more power if you want to fully use a 4k display. But I was talking about the display itself. If it's just the SoC then it's not a downside, because you don't need to use the full resolution if you need to save power. Playing a 1080p video on a 4k display shouldn't be much different for the SoC than playing a 1080p video on a 1080p display.

You're right. Let's end the fight and wait for the 4K upgrade. :p
Ooof! I can feel the battery screaming. :eek: -Glyph Reader
Battery usage is proportional to surface area and nothing else. (edit: roughly. But saying "higher resolution=higher power" is certainly wrong)
The higher the pixel density, the brighter the backlight needs to be to get the same brightness in front of the screen.
Sure? That makes sense if the pixel grid blocks more light even when set to translucent (so higher proportion of in-between-the-pixels space), but on the other hand I thought it was not like that in practice and wouldn't image quality degrade if the pixels were worse in that way?Need to look it up.
This article in anandtech sums it up quite nicely.

Oh well.

"Such power draw increases can also be offset by improvements in the panel technology used, which has consistently been the case with Samsung’s OLED development"

So more of a theoretical increase in power usage.

And there was no mention of the thing I was wondering about: If image quality doesn't degrade some way if the share of actually colored and lighted surface decreases.

The article clearlyy states that -regarding the same display technology - higher resolutions cause a higher power consumption. Screen technology evolves quickly - but not as quickly as screen resolution. And let's not forget the additional power demand on the CPU either.

As for 'new' display technology: Samsung uses additional white pixels to increase power efficiency in some of their higher reolution screens (e.g. the note pro 12). This visibly affects visual quality.

The ratio between actively lighted and non lighted parts of the screen does not necissarily change with pixel density.

The GPU/CPU might draw (much) more power if you want to fully use a 4k display. But I was talking about the display itself. If it's just the SoC then it's not a downside, because you don't need to use the full resolution if you need to save power. Playing a 1080p video on a 4k display shouldn't be much different for the SoC than playing a 1080p video on a 1080p display.
I meant the display, too. Of course you can change the resolution in cpu/gpu to reduce number of calculations. But the pixels still are in the display, and everyone of them needs to know, which color to show. So the display controller has to tell them, and that consumes more energy, if more pixels are there to adress.

I meant the display, too. Of course you can change the resolution in cpu/gpu to reduce number of calculations. But the pixels still are in the display, and everyone of them needs to know, which color to show. So the display controller has to tell them, and that consumes more energy, if more pixels are there to adress.
Feel free to prove me wrong, but I think the power the display controller uses is negligible.

Yay! I'm hoping for an updated price estimate, and possibly an estimate of how much more the phone version will be.

I shall know how many money, i cant spend for Christmasgifts or how many money i have to wish from the nikolaus....

I saved a lot money by not having PS4 or XBONE and i ditnt smoke..

Mybe whe will get new Updates next week when the case is ready..

Back