Finding a proper name and logo :)

Logos should be simple.

Really simple

Think Nike, Apple, Windows, MacDonalds, BBC, FedEx, Most car companies, etc

SNES's dragon-in-box thing is far too complicated.

A good logo must be recognisable when badly printed in black & white onto a freebie pencil.

My favourite name is:

Sparksbox

...closely followed by Myriad and Pyrrha
That's why Pandora successor needs to be different than these simple devices... 

7fnm.png

The above uses a logarithmic scale, which allows me to fit everything on, but makes the breakdown of different keywords meaningless

The below uses a linear scale, so the breakdown is readable, but "phoenix" is cut off (it should be at the 950,000,000 results mark), which is about a foot beyond the top of my computer screen.
5gqg.png

You're probably thinking "how about sparxbox?"
Now I've written it down, you can probably see why its a bad idea ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Logos should be simple.

Really simple

A good logo must be recognisable when badly printed in black & white onto a freebie pencil.
You really want to compare these target audiences to EDs?
What makes a good logo doesn't really change between audiences :huh:

Logos should be simple.

Really simple

You really want to compare these target audiences to EDs?
What makes a good logo doesn't really change between audiences :huh:
Ok fine, then it's just me who likes a bit more complicated beautiful logos.

@ Binky - and what about dragonbox? Too obvious to mention... but anyway.

@ Binky 2 - More complex logo's can be successful - Heineken - Starbucks  etc. And for a niche product like the Pandora it doesn't really matter and I think a bit more complexity gives it more status. Just like a good wine. You don't see a big M on a bottle of expensive wine :)

Well, I'm pretty sure we want to have the logo on the device itself, so it shouldn't be too complex.

While SNESFANs logo looks neat, it's a lot too complex for that.

Something simple, abstract would be a lot better IMHO.

His exact logo may be too complex, but maybe a simplified version of the same concept could be made.

Not an artist, but I know we have some on these boards.

My favorite is Pyrrha, the red-haired daughter of Pandora in Greek mythology. The name is derived from the greek word for "fire", so dragons are not far away.

It has relatively few Google hits, so that's nice too.

Only downside is the somewhat tricky spelling. It could be simplified though, to "Pyra" or something (let's say Pyra the dragon is the sister of Spyro the dragon).

Ythoz? *looks up from his console window with a program generating random mostly pronouncable words*

EDIT: Oh, it was spelled with a z from the wordgen, that has a lot less hits.

My favorite is Pyrrha
The problem with Pyrrha is that it's another line of jewellery, very popular on ebay. "Pyrrha handheld" or "Pyrrha console" may not be popular, but most people will just enter the name into a google or ebay search and get back millions of hits for overpriced jewellery. This was the exact same issue with the Pandora.Fortunately there's no music streaming services to be confused with.

Name it "Envy" or one of the other things that escaped when Pandora's box was opened.

That looks far to busy to be used on a product.

As was said on an earlier post I think more simplistic the better (Apple, BBC etc.)

As for names I think something unique that can become entrenched in the public's psyche would be better.

Something like Google, Facebook, Twitter, Wii etc, who years ago would have known of those, and how many results would have come up for Wikipedia in 2000.

If you are the only company / product with a created word you will be #1 in search results from the get go.

That looks far to busy to be used on a product.
I'm not certain apple's logo was rainbow coloured and his has only three, besides then it would stand out.

As for the name I like a strong sounding name, besides we could always go with a nice German name :3

I don't mean colours I mean design, too many angles / cuts.

The design needs to be something bold that can be easily recognised like the Raspberry Pi.

I think Myriad is the best name for a succesor.

I like the sound of that name.

Back