Finding a proper name and logo :)

No, bad idea.

Dracon and Pyragon are better.

...Well...

....just for you guys...

OPEN Dracon and OPEN Pyragon.

In case you didn't notice: You can chose one of those cool names as well and put some "open" before them.

So in my head the most general use is "could you get the * for me" or "have you heard about the *"

Dragonbox works very well in many languages because you can just translate it directly.

Thinkpad is taken, everyone is doing *book, it isnt such a bad idea to relate something to a physical device.

The pandora is called openpandora, but its tedious so people omit the open part.

But Dracon and Pyragon are better for every day usage than DragonBox.

Also you don't have to translate them into other languages.

It's a plus for me if it's some fantasy name that has no need for translation.

I think the 'open' prefix was a mistake.

It makes the name clunky and is rarely used is real conversation.

pyragon++

name sounds good and has cool references to its past and creator.  Now we need a cool 8 bit fire dragon to go with it

I think the 'open' prefix was a mistake.

It makes the name clunky and is rarely used is real conversation.
That doesn't really matter. Open says something about the device and will immediately draw attention from the target audience. It gets a message across, unlike the usual mythological names. I agree other names could have the prefix open too. OpenDragonBox is just too much IMO... 

Personally I don't like Pyragon at all,  for the same reasoning as I gave for another suggestion.  Word of mouth is a major marketing channel, if the product name leads to a number of ways it can be pronounced and spelled, it will lead to people not being able to find it when they search for it.  

Also, because it doesn't just pronounce a particular way simply, it's hardly a roll off the tongue or catchy name which is also important.

For this reason , I prefer ED's suggestion of DragonBox or even the simpler derivatives others have come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
DragonBox may fit well but did anyone here try it in every day usage?

If not Pyragon, then Dracon.

Also I don't think Pyragon is hard to pronounce.

Also for me it's clear how to pronounce it, so no problem here as well.

Dracon might be the best for every day usage.

If Pyragon's  the name I think everyone will skip the "gon" as Pyra is easy to say (Like every<one skips the "open" in "openpandora").

If Pyragon's  the name I think everyone will skip the "gon" as Pyra is easy to say (Like every<one skips the "open" in "openpandora").
The pronunciation is a bit open to miss-interpretation, as you see from Wizard Stans post below. When I saw the name, the same thought process went through my mind as WizardStan mentions

Is that "peer-a-gone" or "pie-ra-gone"?

And now my head is putting emphasis on the wrong syllables, trying to read it as "pie-ragon", pronounced "dragon" but more "pi".

edit: as suggested in the IRC channel, "peer-a-gone" as in "Craig is out of here" :D

Problem with Dracon is that it sounds like the name of a conference or convention.

Well, you have a choice...

Either have an original name  that has few hits on Google...

Or an easily spelled recognizable name that's already been used extensively.

I like that the nickname for Pyragon will be Pyra.

If Dracon, I would prefer Drakon...  But I still vote Pyragon, I.e Pyra   :)

If you were going to go down that path, Pyra would be a far better choice than Pyragon, It's simpler, catchier and rolls of the tongue.

Problem with Dracon is that it sounds like the name of a conference or convention.
Then make it a little more German "Drakon".

The pronunciation is a bit open to miss-interpretation, as you see from Wizard Stans post below. When I saw the name, the same thought process went through my mind as WizardStan mentions

Is that "peer-a-gone" or "pie-ra-gone"?

And now my head is putting emphasis on the wrong syllables, trying to read it as "pie-ragon", pronounced "dragon" but more "pi".

edit: as suggested in the IRC channel, "peer-a-gone" as in "Craig is out of here" :D
It's not a problem for me.

EvilDragon will make lot's of videos with the successor.

People who have the successor will watch at least one of those Videos (at leasta big majority does).

As Word of mouth is a major marketing channel, then those People who learned how to pronounce it right will do so and advertise with the right pronunciation.

Logical, right.

There won't be any serious problem with pronunciation because of word of mouse advertisement.

Well, you have a choice...

Either have an original name  that has few hits on Google...

Or an easily spelled recognizable name that's already been used extensively.

I like that the nickname for Pyragon will be Pyra.

If Dracon, I would prefer Drakon...  But I still vote Pyragon, I.e Pyra   :)
I second that.

Pyragon is a great name and Pyra is a great nickname.

There won't be any serious problem with pronunciation because of word of mouse advertisement.

I'm pretty sure word of mouse advertising won't help much   :p

As I said, at least go Pyra, that is a far better choice IMO than Pyragon ie It's simpler, catchier and rolls of the tongue.

Damn.

Why did I write mouse the second time??

(Will leave it that way so that others may have fun, too)

Too late already!

Good night everyone.

Pyra(gon) forever.

Pyra already claimed for all interesting top level domains.

Just a quick idea for the logo:

I know there is no theme to it other than a play on the 'box' motif, that will also link this device to it's predecessor... 

My objective? To make it as simple and striking as possible.

(It looks great even as a tiny icon for I.e. the start menu)

What I like about it? It's a fractal system, The center box is clearly visible even though it's nothing but empty space - I.e. Pure Potential!

It's radiant. Many shapes can be formed from this structure.

This would make a potent symbol for the device because not only does it tie-in with the Pandora logo in a way... this logo is also completely in-line with sacred geometry.

In fact - the geometric structure of space itself can be mapped on this logo.

Ok... that's probably too much information, but keep looking at it for a while... it simple, elegant, powerful...

Pyragon01.jpg

Back