Final small Pandora batch...

Well it depends how it's configured in Linux, but my understanding is that unlike Windows most default configurations don't use swap unless they have to. I don't use swap on any of my machines at present though, so I don't have the most experience. You can check for yourself using 'top' which is a command line tool included in most baseline Linux+BSD images.

That's good to hear/read. I likely will be keeping at least one SD card permanently inserted so I might go for a swap partition anyway. I'll download and install that tool anyway once I order a Pandora just in case though, so thanks!

And thanks for the info on the games, it's great to know that those games SHOULD work fine. I feel a bit better about opting about the Classic now. I know I won't be able to run a lot of things at the same time, but if it can at least one or two things at a time well enough, I'll be happy.
Thanks a lot Trashy.

And thanks for the tip levi.

EDIT: One thing, I'm in America and I thought there were 3 choices for shipping. I checked the checkout process just to see how it'll work, but I only have the choice of UPS which would cost me $60. What would cause me to be limited to just taht?

Last edited:
The battery limited you to that shipping method. Shipping services are totally insane these days when batteries are in the package, as if those were bombs.

The battery limited you to that shipping method. Shipping services are totally insane these days when batteries are in the package, as if those were bombs.
I guess that's the reason why Tesla Motors builds an gigantic Battery Factory in the USA, so they don't have to import all these "bombs" all the way from China or where these are usualy built.

That's....incredibly disheartening to hear. If there's any chance of this craziness subsiding someday, how about offering a battery-less Classic among the flawed Classics you'll be selling? The Pandora should still be able to boot when connected to the wall right?

That's....incredibly disheartening to hear. If there's any chance of this craziness subsiding someday, how about offering a battery-less Classic among the flawed Classics you'll be selling? The Pandora should still be able to boot when connected to the wall right?

Nope, the charging circuit needs a battery to be stable. The Pandora turns on without a battery, but won't boot fully, restarts every few seconds.

Nope, the charging circuit needs a battery to be stable. The Pandora turns on without a battery, but won't boot fully, restarts every few seconds.
My Rebirth Pandora has been powered on for two years straight using the DC jack without the battery in it. I have it attached to my retro CRT TV setup. I am using 2A DC adapter though, also have a powered USB hub for USB things..

The Pandora should still be able to boot when connected to the wall right?
As said that depends on the Model: Some old Classic Units can't boot without an Battery. However my 2 months old Classic one does boot without Battery. You can ask ED to make sure that its one that boots without an Battery (you have to mention that you don't want an Battery anyway).

You could buy a battery in the US from http://ithic.com/en/official-op-accessories/17-open-pandora-battery-pack.html for 25$ - not sure about shipping, but it should be cheaper to ship it from there.

But... it is not relevant any more. I just checked.. they are all gone. Nothing left. Zero.

BTW. I am referring to Pandora's from ED.

Thanks for the link! ED said in the topic that he'll have a couple more units up probably next week-ish and that he'll also be selling some flawed units. My intention is to buy a flawed unit as long as it isn't horribly broken and to see if he'll sell one without a battery so I don't have to pay insane shipping costs.

That was quick, it looks like they are already sold out. Mines is being shipped for repairs, I wonder how long it will be before I get it back...I miss it. :(

Ich nehme an, Du weisst eh' alles darüber - aber in der c't 9/16 ab Seite 150 war ein Artikel mit einer Übersicht über die aktuellen Änderungen in den Luftfracht-Transportvorschriften für Akkus (online hinter der Paywall hier).

What did you do?
I didn't do anything. It just got worn out. The left shoulder button wasn't working like it used to, and the nubs have always had a problem, just i never took the opportunity to ship it in. The nubs don't center at all, until I put them in the center. They are loose. So, I am happy that I am finally getting them repaired. I am sure it will take a while though.

You could just solder some leads to just about any 3.7 volt battery and clip it to the pandora with the right polarity right? What about just clipping a capacitor+resistor across the leads to fool the device into thinking there's a battery present?

You could just solder some leads to just about any 3.7 volt battery and clip it to the pandora with the right polarity right? What about just clipping a capacitor+resistor across the leads to fool the device into thinking there's a battery present?
I suppose you could, even adjust the expected size of the battery in software so it charges right... But the spring pads are a bit fragile, I'd be afraid to clip on the leads. Possible you imitate the battery's shape put the three contact pads where they would be on Pandora battery... Or you could try to get a Pandora battery off someone in the states, many purchased extra batteries, I have and haven't needed it yet... perhaps put up a message in the trading section.

Back