EXT connectors

I too have doubled my order, funds away.

Now I just have to work out what to do with so many connectors :lol:

Perhaps once all this is settled, we should keep a list of who in what location has a supply they are willing to share/sell. (participation being on an opt-in basis of course) That way if someone wants a couple of connectors they are more likely to be able to hook up with a local who can supply them...

Just a thought.

-Neelix

Perhaps us punters could buy more adapters and have them go straight to Pecu (if he was willing of course!) to kick start his custom adapters?

I'd also be keen on an RS232 board :)

Payment rise.

---

I can't double my order as I'm already near my savings limit, but I rise payment to balance higher price for the same amount of pieces. I'll can sell spare connectors too.

So it's $10 for 3 excluding shipping? Apart from making my own TV out (which I have no idea how to do) - what else can I do with them? Is there any point in me considering this as I have no experience? :unsure:

P.s. Actually making my own accessory for my Pandora would feel amazing. But am I able to?

...Apart from making my own TV out (which I have no idea how to do) - what else can I do with them?...
You can make serial cables. Useful for communication with other electronic devices, robots, accelerometer, GPS, fingerprint scanner,.... If You don't know what serial cable is, probably You don't need any.

Maybe someone build SW for controlling media player by GPIO lines on EXT port. Than will be useful build remote control device which should be just e few momentary switches (buttons) and audio out lines.

So it's $10 for 3 excluding shipping?
Including. They're small and light enough that a few can be classified as letter mail, so don't have to deal with parcel prices. Costs about $4 for even the most remote of shipping.

Apart from making my own TV out (which I have no idea how to do)

In theory You just take some wires and connect the connector to S-Video or Composite plug according to schematics (eg. here or here).

In practice I have never soldered anything, and that old soldering gun my father owns has a tip bigger than whole connector itself ;) I guess I'll have to ask a friend with some soldering experience.

Personally I'm more excited about getting access to the serial ports than the TV and audio outs. Pandora driven robot army here I come...

I am keen for a TV out cable (haven't even got my Pandora yet) However I have never made a cable in my life and I have not soldered since I was in school. How hard is it to make one of these cables just for Tv and sound out?

How hard is it to make one of these cables just for Tv and sound out?
I don't know, I wonder too...

It could really be just soldering some cables to it and it would be finished - I think I could manage to do this (if exactly told how to do it), then I would make some more than the one I actually need and sell them. :)

So can someone explain, maybe using this picture, what I had to solder where and what to do with the other end? What "kind" of output is it? S-Video?

...What "kind" of output is it? S-Video?
Yes, it is S-Video. S-Video use luminance (Y) and chrominance © signals. So, You must wire pin 1 and 2 (Y and C signals ground) of S-Video to GND pin of Pandora's EXT port, then S-Video pin 3 (Y) to TV-OUT1 EXT port pin and S-Video 4 © to TV-OUT2.

You can easily google out wiring of S-Video to composite wiring schema, so You can even make composite output instead of S-Video out.

You need 3 RCA connectors Red, White, and Yellow the easiest way to get them would be to get an audio video cable and cut it in half. You will need to figure out which wire goes to which connector and what part of the connectors either center pin or outer shield. I use a cheap multi-meter and set it to read resistance. If you need longer cables you could use a female to female adaptor to connect another length of audio video cable.

250px-Composite-cables.jpg

"Line out R" goes to the center pin of the red connector.

"line out L" goes to the center pin of the white connector.

"TV out 2 ( C)" goes to the center pin of the yellow connector.

"GND" goes to the outer ring on all three connectors.

This will give you composite video out with left and right audio.

If you want S-Video connection then you need another cable with an S-Video connector. I would use a female connector so you could plug different lengths of S-Video cable in depending on your need.

300px-Close-up_of_S-video_female_connector.jpg

"TV out 1 (Y)" goes to pin 3

"TV out 2 ©" goes to pin 4

"GND" goes to both pins 1 and 2

If you use a male connector instead don't forget to mirror the pin-out.

If you want audio with this you will need a separate audio cable wired into the connectors line outs R and L as per the first section for composite out or if you want you could always use the headphone jack to RCA adapter for audio.

isc.grant, peca: Thanks very much.

I think I'll buy some connectors too, then. :)

*bookmarking your posts*

Back