Wish To Know...

Will you cancell your preorder if Pandora come in 2010?

• Total voters

guizm

First of all i don't want anybody to get angry with this, it's just curiosity :p .
I am the first that believe that i'll have mine at october, but now its almost a year from preorders, and something could happen to factories, problems with shipping agencies ...
Just in case that something else happen, will you cancell your order? how much more will you wait?
Also im curious, how many people have already cancell they orders? its now the first batch at 100%?
And for last, when shipping time comes, how are the orders comming? will they ship in order that pre'orders came to them ( for making people that preorder first recieve they'r pandoras first ) Or are they gonna ship by regions?

Well... i think curiosity will kill the cat. :lol:

If a better UMPC is out before the Pandora, I might order that instead.
Right now, it looks like the Pandora is still my favorite, so I'll wait as long as it takes to get one.

If it isnt here by late 2009 i will still keep my order, im sure however it will be. And besides who else is going to build an UMPC with built in gaming controls?

I've waited this long, and can wait a little longer as well. When I placed my order I fully understood that there was a possibility that everything got out of hand and would be delayed far into 2009 or the beginning of 2010.

There is still no other project that has plans to build a device that is being build by OpenPandora, and there is no other thing on the market that offers the same. Not even for a few hundred dollars more.

Last week I ordered a GP2X Wiz though. But it is not going to replace my Pandora.

how about:

"I might cancel if another or better (600+ Mhz, 800x480 touchscreen LCD, OpenGL ES 2.0, dual SDHC, dual USB, video-out, 256MB, open, Linux-based, dual analog game controls + keyboard + dpad + 6buttons, bluetooth + wifi, long battery life) portable comes out for 330$ or under, and otherwise will wait patiently for it to come in the mail"

there's nothing out there coming even close to that.

the Pandora team is doing their best and are keeping us updated with the good and more importantly the bad.
I don't think its very nice to put pressure on the team (even if that wasn't the intent).

Delays happen, its true that they have a very (overly) optimistic evaluation of the timeline, but if you start thinking "its going to take too much time" you never get anything done.
I don't believe they're making any money off the units (unless they run off to some pacific Islands right now :) ) if you count all the work that goes into making the prototypes and the cost of all the parts and manufacturing for something that doesn't have a big market.
it'll be great in their resume but beside that its pretty much volunteer work.

be patient.

Stephane Hockenhull said:
how about:

"I might cancel if another or better (600+ Mhz, 800x480 touchscreen LCD, OpenGL ES 2.0, dual SDHC, dual USB, video-out, 256MB, open, Linux-based, dual analog game controls + keyboard + dpad + 6buttons, bluetooth + wifi, long battery life) portable comes out for 330$ or under, and otherwise will wait patiently for it to come in the mail"

there's nothing out there coming even close to that.

the Pandora team is doing their best and are keeping us updated with the good and more importantly the bad.
I don't think its very nice to put pressure on the team (even if that wasn't the intent).

Delays happen, its true that they have a very (overly) optimistic evaluation of the timeline, but if you start thinking "its going to take too much time" you never get anything done.
I don't believe they're making any money off the units (unless they run off to some pacific Islands right now :) ) if you count all the work that goes into making the prototypes and the cost of all the parts and manufacturing for something that doesn't have a big market.
it'll be great in their resume but beside that its pretty much volunteer work.

be patient.

100 % agree, OP team have made, and is making a lot of work, i was just looking what people think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora being unique on the market shouldn't make it exempt from reasonable market expectations.

I'm cancelling if It isn't done by Christmas. It's gone on long enough. 1 year and 3 months should've been more than enough time.

As a college student at least, It's annoying having £200 locked in OpenPandora for months and months and months. I've been tempted by netbooks, too, just to have something, but I simply don't have the cash. <_<

Xian Long said:
i'm only canceling if there's a superior device. which there isn't. and won't be for a long time.

I hope the only superior device will be a Pandora2, then a Pandora3 then 4,5... and it stays like that :)

I will actually only cancel my order of a lot of other people start cancelling their orders.

The Pandora platform probably isn't the best platform you can get out there for the price of 330$; what makes the whole thing worth it for me is the wonderful community behind it.
It's the possibility that I as an user of Pandora may experience the newest and most interesting software out there, and that that software is being produced by "ordinary" "people" working in a community to steadily improve it and create an unique product; that's what excites me about the Pandora.

EDIT: @craigix, so it's official then; there will be a Pandora 2..5? :p

craigix said:
Xian Long said:
i'm only canceling if there's a superior device. which there isn't. and won't be for a long time.

I hope the only superior device will be a Pandora2, then a Pandora3 then 4,5... and it stays like that :)
No doubt someone will come up with something superior in some way, but it will either have an inflated price or be locked down. Either way, I may consider getting it instead if you don't get to work on the Pandora 2 right now!

Nope, not gonna cancel my pandora. I've come thus far, it would be pointless to just cancel now - IHMO that'd mean a years' waiting for nothing; a years' wait up in smoke. I still think - at least for me - the pandora is going to be really useful, and will be able to replace my "main" latop, noticably an EEE PC.

ljones

Lol, Evil dragon and mweston, voted "I will wait" But you both already have a pandora. It may not be the complete finished version but you've got more than any of us. I hope you guys finish this soon :)

CC_machine said:
The Pandora being unique on the market shouldn't make it exempt from reasonable market expectations.

I'm cancelling if It isn't done by Christmas. It's gone on long enough. 1 year and 3 months should've been more than enough time.

As a college student at least, It's annoying having £200 locked in OpenPandora for months and months and months. I've been tempted by netbooks, too, just to have something, but I simply don't have the cash. <_<

My opinion is the exact same as this.
It is getting a bit unreasonable now, and I would like to at least have something seeing as I paid £200. Also, I need something to take to America with me in January, so... if I don't get one by the end of the year, I'll cancel and get a cheaper netbook.

Hmm... I think I'm going to cancel and wait for the Pandora 5 instead then...

Now that I think of it... I haven't pre-ordered one, so I guess I don't have to cancel, how lucky! :p

Maybe after a year you could make Pandora slims like they did for psp and ds. I'm really not liking how Craig has mentioned Pandora 2,3,4 and 5's numerous times cause it gives me the feeling that the Pandora is going to be outdated almost straight away unlike how commercial consoles get a good 5 years on top. I know Craig is really excited about making the greatest ever portable gaming console but I think his getting a little too excited lol. The fist Pandora is still not completed so its a bit to early to get excited about future Pandora's.

Uh, Craigix has done nothing of the sort. In fact, he's saying the exact opposite. He's made it clear in the past that there won't be a Pandora 2 for at least a couple of years, and he hopes that no other console comes close before that time.

Back