EXT connectors

Should someone with a bit of solder experience step up and offer selfmade TV-out cables then I'm in. :lol:
I'm willing to make some. It could be 10, it could be 20, it depend on demand. But my time is limited, so overall quota stay rather low. I'd PMed to WizardStan my offer and I hope that it will help. Big complication (of custom made TV-OUT cables that I see) is connector housing. If custom made cable would look good, it must be definitely something better then 1 meter of sellotape :) So I think that casting resin or some silicone substrate could work. On other side, sellotape (or similar) mean that it will be easy to repair or extend (add some extra wiring).

Peca If you could make me one, it would be mostly appreciated how much would you be looking for?

I'd do it myself but I'd make a right hash of it!

...how much would you be looking for?
Price depends on cable type and length. I'm trying to look for supply but price is very varying. I'll ask some A/V enthusiasts for recommendation. Anyway, A/V cables (cinch - cinch (or RCA)) should cost less then 15 USD (and stands for those high priced). However, there are cables available for 5 USD. So, EXT port connector, cable, my work (soldering, testing, housing!, testing, packaging...) - I thing price could be from 20 to 30 USD. But mind about postage: postage 16 USD (Damn - I'll rather ask personally in their office) - I'll ask some commercial parcel services (DHL, DPD, UPS,...) for better prices too. At least, this couldn't be so high inside EU.

No response from OnlineComponents. I'll give them one more chance, then I'm going elsewhere. RAWR!

Payment sent. :) Good luck WizardStan!

Peca, thanks! I plan to take you up on your connector offer when the time comes. Might it be cheaper to make and ship if it was just the connector and no cable?

My ideal: the unit has EXT at one end and RCA left & right audio + video + s-video at the other. We provide our own cables to the TV.

My ideal: the unit has EXT at one end and RCA left & right audio + video + s-video at the other. We provide our own cables to the TV.

I'd rather have female jack as audio output so the adapter could be more compact.

...how much would you be looking for?
Price depends on cable type and length. I'm trying to look for supply but price is very varying. I'll ask some A/V enthusiasts for recommendation. Anyway, A/V cables (cinch - cinch (or RCA)) should cost less then 15 USD (and stands for those high priced). However, there are cables available for 5 USD. So, EXT port connector, cable, my work (soldering, testing, housing!, testing, packaging...) - I thing price could be from 20 to 30 USD. But mind about postage: postage 16 USD (Damn - I'll rather ask personally in their office) - I'll ask some commercial parcel services (DHL, DPD, UPS,...) for better prices too. At least, this couldn't be so high inside EU.

ok mate thanks

I like this idea. Peca, if you make an adapter out of the EXT connector, with a female RCA/S-Video, it'd be enough
No problem. It is a plane :) I can make even scart or 3.5 mm jack. I even can send bare EXT port connector.

Ok, the order is going forward at $1.25$1.12 per piece instead of the $0.65 per piece, so not quite double but still enough to throw all my numbers under a bus. This was after asking around for different quotes, even if it meant taking the entire box. Apparently this is Tyco's new price, not much we can do about it.

edit: This is so cool! I've got two companies fighting over my business. I doubt it'll go any further, but it was still fun. A call back and forth "your quote is no good, I've got this... ok, you can beat that? Just a sec" "Yeah, they beat you... oh, now you can go lower, just a minute" "Yeah, beat you again. You'll ask? Thanks"

Just waiting on a call back, but I don't think they can beat the $1.12.

The guy offering the $1.12 also suggested they may have part in stock as well, so can ship at least some ASAP ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, the order is going forward at $1.25$1.12 per piece instead of the $0.65 per piece, so not quite double but still enough to throw all my numbers under a bus. This was after asking around for different quotes, even if it meant taking the entire box. Apparently this is Tyco's new price, not much we can do about it.
I'll have to build up a breakout board and ship it your way for being willing to go through all this trouble. :) I have parts to build about 20, but motivation to build zero at this moment. ;) You should send me a PM with your contact info. I think you live in Canada which makes my life easier!

So finally settled on a reasonable price but had to take more than the original 1000 planned, which means I ended up spending more in the short run, but less per piece. So if anyone wants to double their order, I've got quite a few spares now.

And looks like I'll have enough for anyone who comes along over the next few months/years too. :p

No confirmation yet on how many they can actually ship right away. Should find out on Monday, or Tuesday.

Ok, the order is going forward at $1.25$1.12 per piece instead of the $0.65 per piece, so not quite double but still enough to throw all my numbers under a bus.

WS, let me know if there's anything I can do to un-bus your numbers, if you need it. I might be able to help a little shortly.

Somehow this sounds like the whole Pandora production experience in small...

Shows how absurd all those "OMG the OP people are so dumb, I could have done it so much better / cheaper" posts are.

So if anyone wants to double their order, I've got quite a few spares now.
You know what, I think I'll join those who've already doubled their orders - it's always a good idea to have a few extra spares with things like this, I think. Should I just send the same sum again via PayPal? :p

You know what, I think I'll join those who've already doubled their orders - it's always a good idea to have a few extra spares with things like this, I think. Should I just send the same sum again via PayPal? :p
That'd be a lot of help. Thanks :D

^ Just sent it. Order doubled.
grin.gif

Any idea on how much a just the ext connector w/ shipping to US (carmel, indiana)

Can we get a picture of them?

Back