XStylus Discussion

Will you help fund XStylus?

• I own a DS lite and I will fund the XStylus.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a DS, but i'm not interested in the XStylus.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I ordered/have a Pandora and a DSLite, I will fund the XStylus.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don't have a DSLite nor a Pandora, but I will fund the XStylus.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only ordered/have a Pandora and I will fund the XStylus but only if I can get an XStylus for the P

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • I only ordered/have a Pandora and I will fund the XStylus either way, maybe I'll buy the Pandora XSt

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I'm not interested in the XStylus at all.

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

guax

Still Fresh
After seeing this, I'm bugget by the XStylus.

But I still have some doubts about the funding process and all.

On thing I want to know:

The guy(Elton) answered one of the comments(the 1st)

on the blog saying something like "something something... talk to ED"

4) If I donate the $20, can I get a pair for the Pandora, instead of a pair for the DS?
4. The kickstarter event is for the DS Lite ]Xstylus only. However, you are still very welcome to be a supporter to help the realization of a wonderful piece of pure mechanical product. Any amount of pledge is appreciated. Again, if you really want one for your Pandora, shoot ED an email.

So maybe if there is a great load of people wanting Pandora XStylus, the thing can be pushed forward I Guess, or not....

Feel free to answer the poll and maybe ellaborate any toughts you might have on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As good of an idea I think it is for those who hold styli like pens, it's not something I could justify funding personally, because I am one of those folks who holds a stylus in a similar fashion to chopsticks - that is, as though it's an extension of the fingers, not like a pen. :p (Accordingly, I simply use an extendable DS Lite stylus with my Pandora.)

The main problem is that there is a minimum production limit, which is around 6000.

So EDs biggest concern probably is that he will order those styli and then nobody buys them.

I asked him on IRC and he is very interested in the product, but wants to get more Pandoras out of the door before ordering it as a reseller (so probably batch 1 and maybe batch 2).

But ED already is in contact with Elton (the product designer) who set him up with a very good deal (his words) in case ED wants to order.

So I guess to get a Pandora version of it, enough people have to express interest in it - at least the prototype already exists!

Also I thought many people on this boards probably also have a DS so they might be interested in the DS version, too.

That is the current status as far as I know, we probably have to see how the funding goes (it's only at around 2% at the time or writing - and the main problem I see is that it "only" is a stylus and finding enough people to fund 10k$ seems hard to me).

Apart from that, all I can say is that it is an amazing product, I have been using a prototype for a month now and I am loving it (ED also seemed to like it).

foxblock out

Hi, this is "Elton", the guy designed the XStylus.

@guax Please don't worry about the funding process, Kickstarter.com is famous for its "ALL or NOTHING" funding scheme, if the goal of the project is not reached at the end. Your credit card will not be charged at all. On top of that, the payment is handle by Amazon. Thank you for started this poll, the result so far look interesting. I hope more people can vote after they have visited the kickstarter site (http://kck.st/XStylusNDSL) and express their view here. Yes, I have been talking to ED for several month now, he is a busy man and I only receive his reply every two weeks. But I am not mad at him, I know he is doing lot of stuffs for the Pandora community. The latest news is, like foxblock said, ED thinks there is a need to ship if not all but at least most of the Pandora console out, before he can order the XStylus from me. But since there is period of time needed to build the mould for the XStylus and manufacture it. I suggested him to start the pre order ASAP, so that we may be able to ship the Pandora console together with the XStylus, which save you guys some shipping money. I am still waiting for his reply. if you want to see the XStylus in the Pandora box, you will have to talk to ED.

@Prometheus I have met many DS users. Many of them just like you, were happy with either the stock stylus or an third party expendable one. They have either developed a special way to hold the stylus or get used to it. I am not trying to teach anyone how to hold their pen here. What I am saying is, I have developed something better than the market can offer to you and you deserve to know it, before you refuse it. If you have 1 minute to spend, I suggest you to do the following experiment with me to experience the comfort provided by XStylus.

Materiel:

1. your favour stylus that can be stored inside the console

2. any kind of tape

3. a ruler

Direction:

1. put the tape onto your stylus about 1 inch from the writing tip.

2. roll the tape around the stylus, don't stop until your ruler measure the diameter of the stylus + tape is 8.5mm.

3. cut off the tape and put your thumb and index finger on the extended finger grip that you just made.

4. feel the difference.

5. try put the stylus back to the pen slot (No, you need a Xstylus to do that) ;)

experiment.jpg

Please help and share the link http://kck.st/XStylusNDSL with your friends on FB or Twitter, so that more people can know about it. Your support is appreciated.

I think its a great product and it will be a shame if it doesn't see the light of day in mass production and the inevitable future designs for future machines, that this would allow for. Sadly there's a glut of other styli which will do for most folk and in such a small start up run, it maybe too pricey to make and sell at an attractive price against inferior competition.

Whilst the DS isnt going anywhere for awhile it's also perhaps a little late to its target audience (it would have sold by the truckload earlier) but I'll certainly pledge towards it and hope it reaches required funding :)

I'm still undecided. The standard stylus of the DS was never a problem for me and to be honest I rarely use my Pandora stylus as I prefer to utilize the nubs. This is typically one of those products which I would prefer to give a try before deciding on it.

I've mentioned it to you before that it looks a bit fragile to me. I tend to play around with stuff like this, repeatedly opening and closing it and as such will probably stress it more than I should.

That said, I've no real need for this and thus will not support you for the time being. It's a cool idea though, so best of luck with your product.

(Accordingly, I simply use an extendable DS Lite stylus with my Pandora.)

I'm glad someone brought this up. I couldn't find anything about this, and I didn't want to start a thread on something so minor: do DS Lite Stylus(es?) fit in the Pandora well? I was thinking about getting a nice metal stylus.

@Prometheus I have met many DS users. Many of them just like you, were happy with either the stock stylus or an third party expendable one. They have either developed a special way to hold the stylus or get used to it. I am not trying to teach anyone how to hold their pen here. What I am saying is, I have developed something better than the market can offer to you and you deserve to know it, before you refuse it. If you have 1 minute to spend, I suggest you to do the following experiment with me to experience the comfort provided by XStylus.

Materiel:

1. your favour stylus that can be stored inside the console

2. any kind of tape

3. a ruler

Direction:

1. put the tape onto your stylus about 1 inch from the writing tip.

2. roll the tape around the stylus, don't stop until your ruler measure the diameter of the stylus + tape is 8.5mm.

3. cut off the tape and put your thumb and index finger on the extended finger grip that you just made.

4. feel the difference.

5. try put the stylus back to the pen slot (No, you need a Xstylus to do that) ;)
I haven't done either of the things you suggest (neither developed anything, or just gotten used to anything) - I just happen to be different. :p Anyway, this doesn't feel comfortable at all to me, I'm afraid. Sorry. I know I'm not part of the market for this, even though I know many are. I wish you the best of luck! I know you have plenty of support around here. :)

(Accordingly, I simply use an extendable DS Lite stylus with my Pandora.)

I'm glad someone brought this up. I couldn't find anything about this, and I didn't want to start a thread on something so minor: do DS Lite Stylus(es?) fit in the Pandora well? I was thinking about getting a nice metal stylus.
I didn't want to cause any off-topicness, my apologies. I was only saying why I can't put any money in. Anyway, yes, they do. PM me and I'll send a photograph.

Back