Experimental Blu+ Support For Osnes9xgp

Uh, in the "overclocked stuff", Horcht mentioned that the fxe has to be named... um, osnes9x.fxe, or what the name originally is, not 0snes9x03 or osnes9x188.fxe. Or sound crashes the beast. Maybe the same thing?

Works fine on my machine. Except for the sound. I thought it was interference from the screen originally, but...

But great thing. :lol:

Magus 86 posted on May 18 2005 at 12:41 AM said:
Hey, I just thought of something. I remember when I first got my Gp32, and I was trying to find good emulators for each system, and when I tried different versions of OSNES9XGP, I noticed that if you have 2 versions of it on your card at the same time, for some reason, neither one wants to work right. I never got to the point where I could load games like that, but maybe that's the problem. If you haven't already tried it, try taking the older version off and run it with just the BLU+ version of osnes9xgp on the card. if that doesn't work, then I have no idea.

I seem to remember that's because of differing config files that each creates in GPSYS... if somehow that's also been altered, then this could be the reason for EvilDragon's problems... try deleting them and then running this version straight away.

Of course I could be completely wrong; I've not GP32ed for some months now (though have still been around here when I've had net available :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
:( I'm having the exact same problem as Evil Dragon. Just a regular BLU +, bone stock no different bios or firmware or anything like that. Mine is the newer factory firmware that doesn't need the freelauncher (I guess that's the euro fw). Tried it on two different SMC's. The emu starts, I get the menu and no grey bar, but when I pick a rom the emu locks at the loading rom screen. I only have one Osnes version on the SMC. I tried manually deleting the Osnes.cfg file and no change. The regular Osnes works fine for me. You can't turn the auto detection off as that setting must be in the main GUI/menu which you can only access once emulation/gameplay has started? I can't seem to access any options menu otherwise. Renaming the fxe to Osnes9x.fxe and os9xgp.fxe and neither worked.

Any other ideas I should try? a sad day indeed :(

well, are you all sure the filename is "os9xgp.fxe" ? else it might give problems.

edit: nope, tried it. It doesn't work on my NLU either. It hangs when loading a ROM.

one key point here between horscht, evil dragon and me is that I'm the only one trying this on a combination of a BLU + that is still using the original firmware that it came with. I haven't changed ANYTHING on my GP, but still getting the same results.

and yeah that file name didn't make a difference.

Hmm... Well what the fuck? I haven't changed anything with mine either, but it works perfectly. I don't know what to tell you guys, but I'm really happy someone finally made this. I wonder what's different about my GP32 that makes it work... Is it possible that they changed something else besides just the screen somewhere along the line that might make the program not work(I mean... maybe yours are from a different run of BLU+'s than mine, and they changed something since yours were made. I don't know how much of the coding was modified, or in what way, but maybe there's some kind of incompatibility with a slightly older version...)?

wtf...it tells me "out of memory" when I try to load rom what's wrong? version 0.1 works and non-blu+ 0.3 freezes on loading screen (the same problem as Evildragon)

Alright, I guess I'm just lucky then... this is really fricken weird...

Out of memory??? What the fuck?

yeah, Jarska, I have tried multiple games(no super mario world though, I never really liked that one), and so has Evil Dragon. All 4 that I've tried worked, and none of the ones EvilDragon tried worked for him. one of the games he tried was seiken densetsu 3, which I can assure you runs perfectly for me. I played it for about 2 hours earlier tonight without a single problem.

Good News and Bad news:

good news:

I got it successfully working.

Bad News:

Zip support seems to be fuxxored. Try an unzipped ROM, it should work then.

Although I don't own a BLU + I'm excited to see some sort of progress on SNES emulation! Great job!

LOOM posted on May 18 2005 at 10:52 AM said:
wtf...it tells me "out of memory" when I try to load rom
Same for me (see my post on site 1 of this threat)
I tried with a unzipped "super mario world [!]", but it still shows the error message, and then reboots

Horscht posted on May 18 2005 at 10:29 AM said:
Good News and Bad news:

good news:

I got it successfully working.

Bad News:

Zip support seems to be fuxxored. Try an unzipped ROM, it should work then.

CONFIRMED! new Blu + version, was having same problems as Horscht and Evil Dragon, but it works perfect with unzipped roms (.smc)!

Thanks Horscht for the find!

Runs pretty good at FS 2 or 3 with sound (8 bit mono 11khz).

Jekyll posted on May 18 2005 at 02:25 PM said:
LOOM posted on May 18 2005 at 10:52 AM said:
wtf...it tells me "out of memory" when I try to load rom
Same for me (see my post on site 1 of this threat)
I tried with a unzipped "super mario world [!]", but it still shows the error message, and then reboots

did you try files that fit the 8.3 fileformat? e.g Mario.smc?

bast525 posted on May 18 2005 at 01:28 PM said:
CONFIRMED! new Blu + version, was having same problems as Horscht and Evil Dragon, but it works perfect with unzipped roms (.smc)!
I formated the SMC, and put only OSNES9xgp and a game on it, it still doesn't work, but reboot with "OUT OF MEMORY"

Horscht posted on May 18 2005 at 01:41 PM said:
did you try files that fit the 8.3 fileformat? e.g Mario.smc?
smw.smc - 524.800 Bytes

Err... oops ?
Didn't think about testing zipped roms support. Silly me :p
Thanks Horscht for identifying the cause of one of the bugs.
I will investigate that.

About adding more clockspeeds, are there recommended values ? Or do I just add 172, 180 and 200 Mhz ? I believe the only risk in overclocking your GP32 too high is rebooting; is this also true with higher values ? (By the way, I can't go past 166Mhz with my non-modded GP32, so about testing...)

@Jekyll
looks like your try to bypass memory problems caused some other mem problems:
instead of launching, I get "out of memory" errors for every rom i try (roms < 4 mb)
Well in fact, that was the mem problem I was trying to bypass :p Could you tell me how much ram the emulator say you have left ? (written upper right corner in the ROM File browser).
The way the memory is allocated in snes9x (always max rom size), it's normal that it fails with an out of memory whatever the size of the ROM is.

Other things:
- no one had problems with os9xgp.sys ? Surprising, when one thinks that I modified its format, and didn't add a bad format detection :)
- like it has been said, one should not change the name of the fxe : that also can crash the emu.
- did you pat a turtle today ?

Khaos.

Back