Eds Wifi Stick

mali said:
It has been posted already, but opening a new thread is actually a very good idea :)
Very encouraging video, the stick seems to work great :)

The only thing which was missing is a speed test.
From downloading a file (and no showing of the DL speed) or web browsing I can't judge teh speed.
This all COULD have been done with 45KB/s. Well, just my 2 cents :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitel said:
I cannot download this video neither using my own bash script nor clipnabber/savefrom/keepvid.

Same problem here...

Vitel said:
I cannot download this video neither using my own bash script nor clipnabber/savefrom/keepvid. WTF?
Don't know about your set up.
Just want to let you know that firefox (teh flash-plugin to be precise) stores a "Flashxxxx" in your /tmp directory. you can watch it with "mplayer -fs /tmp/Flash*" or hard link it or copy it (after it has finsihed downloading.

I hope that helps you or someone else.

Creature XL said:
Vitel said:
I cannot download this video neither using my own bash script nor clipnabber/savefrom/keepvid. WTF?
Don't know about your set up.
Just want to let you know that firefox (teh flash-plugin to be precise) stores a "Flashxxxx" in your /tmp directory. you can watch it with "mplayer -fs /tmp/Flash*" or hard link it or copy it (after it has finsihed downloading.

I hope that helps you or someone else.
That's interesting, but I don't use the proprietary flash plugin.

Poem58 said:
torpor said:
I really can't avoid commenting on one thing: EvilDragon, GUI is never, ever, ever pronounced, ever .. ever .. like the word "guy" .. it just does not work. :) It sounds so absolutely weird that you're just going to confuse people who natively speak English, and I really, really encourage you to pronounce it either "goooey" or "Gee .. You .. Eye .." .. because the way you say it, it sounds like you're talking about a person and thats just plain .. weird.

Apart from that, yeah .. great that you got the USB WLAN stick working for now .. looking forward to the day when the built-in WLAN works, however!

When I first started seeing Ed's video's it took no time at all to adjust to his accent. However, it has kinda been tough to hear him referring to the "Guy" the whole time. I do hope he starts calling it a "gooey" or just plain "Interface" would be fine. We all know it's graphical as we can see it :p

I'm sure we all had issues with these pronunciations in some way. I originally called Daemon, "Day mon" only because I was not accustomed to the proper phonetics and I ran across the proper way to say it online.

We've already had the discussion on the proper way to pronounce GUI. I think GUI is pronounce "guy" in Germany or somesuch.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52031-anticipate-the-new-video-here/page__view__findpost__p__814569
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52037-acronym-pronunciation/

torpor said:
I really can't avoid commenting on one thing: EvilDragon, GUI is never, ever, ever pronounced, ever .. ever .. like the word "guy" .. it just does not work. :) It sounds so absolutely weird that you're just going to confuse people who natively speak English, and I really, really encourage you to pronounce it either "goooey" or "Gee .. You .. Eye .." .. because the way you say it, it sounds like you're talking about a person and thats just plain .. weird.

Let him pronounce it the way he pronounces it, it makes him more loveable. :) Besides that's probably the way he's heard it pronounced more often than not and it'd be hard for him to sudden switch up. The important thing is most people generally understand him more often than they misunderstand him.

Despite the viewability of the video the stick seems to work great. It's too bad we cant attach a little wire to it so we can pull it out when not in use and have it stay with the pandora. It's so small I'm afraid I might loose it but other than that I think like everyone else I'm just eager to see it show up in my mail box.

^ You could solder a small loop made of copper wire to the part of the USB connector that protrudes and connect it via string to the wrist strap hole.

As always it is great to see a new video ,the small wifi stick looks perfect for the pandora but i have a few
concerns regarding the web browser performance ,scolling through a page looks really bad sluggish and slow
but i wonder if they have a proper video driver working yet as that could explain the tearing and slow speed
when scrolling through the page.My other worry is more to do with the plans for the first 1000 and the later
3000,will the first 1000 all get wifi sticks unless asked not to send one ? also will any/most wifi sticks
work on the Pandora ?

My other worry would be that now the Pandora is being sent out with a dongle and yes it does look very nice
OP might decide to do this with all future Pandora units including the 3000 from batch one ,they might also
remove the chip from future units of replace it with a new chip.I would just like to know that with being
in the overall first batch that we will have onboard wifi that works at some point in the future,if that
means i need to send my unit in for repair at my cost then i am happy to do this,i simply just don't want
OP to remove the chip in favour of the much easier £7 stick option to save time and hassle.

^ ED explained that they'll take of the problem and will replace the board if necessary. Just check the quotes thread ;)

Poem58 said:
I'm sure we all had issues with these pronunciations in some way. I originally called Daemon, "Day mon" only because I was not accustomed to the proper phonetics and I ran across the proper way to say it online.

"Day mon" is a perfectly acceptable pronunciation, though "dee mon" is also OK. (http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/D/daemon.html and/from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_%28computer_software%29). In fact, it's the more common one, in my experience.

Actuly i just thought about this and it doesn't add up to me ,right now 1000x wifi stick
are setting OP back £7 a stick and they are getting them at that price as they are buying in bulk
so the grand total is £7000 ,now that is quite alot of money for only 1000 customers
but couldnt that £7000 pay for a driver ? then all is fixed and even the first 1000 customers
will be more happy to get working wifi.

I mean where did this chip come from ,what other devices use the same chip on an arm OS ?
there must be a driver out there that should work ? i do also understand that while we wait
OP are testing the chip for a hardware issue and that in the mean time it would be pointless
to aquire such a driver at cost ifthe hardware is to fault ,but then again if the hardware
is to fault in some way ,then can't the chip just be reordered in a working fashion.

sorry ,forgot to say also big massive thanks to Skeezix ,that minimenu looks
dam fine to me ,kinda like xbmc.

Thank's ED ...for the great video.
Also i wanna say that the MiniMenu is looking fantastic ...thanks a lot Skeezix :D

paddy said:
Actuly i just thought about this and it doesn't add up to me ,right now 1000x wifi stick
are setting OP back £7 a stick and they are getting them at that price as they are buying in bulk
so the grand total is £7000 ,now that is quite alot of money for only 1000 customers
but couldnt that £7000 pay for a driver ? then all is fixed and even the first 1000 customers
will be more happy to get working wifi.

I mean where did this chip come from ,what other devices use the same chip on an arm OS ?
there must be a driver out there that should work ? i do also understand that while we wait
OP are testing the chip for a hardware issue and that in the mean time it would be pointless
to aquire such a driver at cost ifthe hardware is to fault ,but then again if the hardware
is to fault in some way ,then can't the chip just be reordered in a working fashion.

We already wasted thousands of pounds on a 'wifi expert' called [NAME REMOVED BY REQUEST], an ex-ti employee and we got nothing.

Craigx
We already wasted thousands of pounds on a 'wifi expert' called [NAME REMOVED BY REQUEST], an ex-ti employee and we got nothing.

Dam man i didn't know that ,then you are doing all you can do.

"[NAME REMOVED BY REQUEST]" is a great name. It sounds like a character out of a penny dreadful, or some other sort of old timey pulp magazine.

Vitel said:

Firefox with the video download helper plug in works wonders.

Is the chip in the Pandora a 54Mbps chip? Also I thought someone said the chip uses the SD card BUS to do everything. So wouldn't this be a hardware issue or did I read that wrong. I will try and find the person and quote them but I am at work right now.

r00tw00t said:
[NAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] HAHAHAHHAA
penny_cake.jpg

paddy said:
scolling through a page looks really bad sluggish and slow but i wonder if they have a proper video driver working yet as that could explain the tearing and slow speed when scrolling through the page.
I have a Touch Book (identical processor and SoC), and on it that happens only when when using finger/stylus to scroll. I think the drag-scrolling plugin for Midori is just a little inefficient. I assure you it's not a problem for Pandora as arrow buttons and page up/down are very responsive.

Back