Eds Wifi Stick

Dead1nside said:
There really wasn't any reason to assume Wifi wouldn't work. It was recommended to them by TI, I guess they saw that there was a semi-open driver, working on an in-production device. DJWillis and Notaz have seemingly been working on this for ages and they did hire an ex-TI guy to help them out, which didn't turn out well at all (shame on you). Now they're offering a win-win situation to us all, with regards to wifi stick now, fix later. That's pretty damn open and great of OP, so thank you.

+++++++

I would like to second that: "That's pretty damn open and great of OP, so thank you."
Great effort by the guys, I kind of feel bad taking a free wifi stick, I would gladly pay extra for it :)

Is there a donate option for the Pandora team...

Last edited by a moderator:
NeuTek said:
Is there a donate option for the Pandora team...

You could contribute to the Dev Fund.

I hope no one goes crazy and pays '[NAME REMOVED BY REQUEST]' a visit. It sucks that he took your money when he couldn't help you. How did that happen anyway? He took money up front and then said 'Never mind, I can't get it to work, but I'll keep the money because I tried.'

craigix said:
cixelsyd said:
craigix said:
paddy said:
Actuly i just thought about this and it doesn't add up to me ,right now 1000x wifi stick
are setting OP back £7 a stick and they are getting them at that price as they are buying in bulk
so the grand total is £7000 ,now that is quite alot of money for only 1000 customers
but couldnt that £7000 pay for a driver ? then all is fixed and even the first 1000 customers
will be more happy to get working wifi.

I mean where did this chip come from ,what other devices use the same chip on an arm OS ?
there must be a driver out there that should work ? i do also understand that while we wait
OP are testing the chip for a hardware issue and that in the mean time it would be pointless
to aquire such a driver at cost ifthe hardware is to fault ,but then again if the hardware
is to fault in some way ,then can't the chip just be reordered in a working fashion.

We already wasted thousands of pounds on a 'wifi expert' called [NAME REMOVED BY REQUEST], an ex-ti employee and we got nothing.
I remember that being mentioned.
The thing what i am amazed about is that you thought that the ex-ti fellow did not do a good job while now it may be hardware.
Didn't you think back then to check the hardware if it was bullet proof.
You should have don the test then on the hardware what you are going to do now.
I know it may still be software but the hardware should have had all the possible checks back then.
Yet again someone else got used as scapegoat while OP neglected to do all the needed test.
Now there are more delays.Just for ones it would be nice to hear you say "well we came short sorry"
And if the name you gave here is a real name than that is a show of bad manner.

Unfortunately you have no idea what you are talking about.
That may be caused by the uninformative bad replies you leave? :D
Well this one made me smile big time i should have known that your reply could not be informative.

Mithrildor said:
Yay flaming and bashing Craigix again!

woot.jpg

Attachments

• woot.jpg
    woot.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 78
cixelsyd said:
craigix said:
cixelsyd said:
craigix said:
paddy said:
Actuly i just thought about this and it doesn't add up .................

We already wasted thousands of pounds on a 'wifi expert' called...................
I remember that being mentioned.
The thing what i am amazed about is that you thought that the ex-ti fellow did not do a good job while now it may be hardware..........................

Unfortunately you have no idea what you are talking about.
That may be caused by the uninformative bad replies you leave? :D
Well this one made me smile big time i should have known that your reply could not be informative.

ummm! maybe they employed an EXPERT to FIND THE FAULT, be it hardware OR software, the hiree being an EXPERT should have been able to say "it,s not a driver issue" or "definitely a hardware issue" or "you forgot to do a checksum reset after every packet, sums where getting corrupted, not data", or whatever, that's why you pay EXPERTS thousands of pounds, cos they should provide results, being EXPERTS and all, you don't get the label EXPERT applied too you unless you REALLY know what you are doing, experts solve hard problems, that's why they get called experts.

should be obvious to anyone, or have they changed the definition of expert while I slept ? :rolleyes: :p

seriously, I wouldn't consider myself an expert on (for example) WiFi unless I could build drivers in hours, build hardware during teabreaks, and build a fully working WiFi module and software from spare discrete components and couple it to any device you care to name before teatime (with driver), THEN I would call myself an expert.

failing to produce ANY result put's you in the junior coders league imo <_<

Having worked with 20+ hired C++/Java software development experts during the past 3 years I can tell you there's a HUGE difference in 'quality'. Some of them were really experts, but some were a disgrace to the business. Biggest problem is you simply can not always trust someone's curriculum vitae. Saying you're qualified to do a certain job, does not mean you can actually do it. Unfortunately you won't always know before you've thrown considerable sums of money at it.

Zotty said:
Having worked with 20+ hired C++/Java software development experts during the past 3 years I can tell you there's a HUGE difference in 'quality'. Some of them were really experts, but some were a disgrace to the business. Biggest problem is you simply can not always trust someone's curriculum vitae. Saying you're qualified to do a certain job, does not mean you can actually do it. Unfortunately you won't always know before you've thrown considerable sums of money at it.

A good CV should only get you a phone screen. Your phone screen should weed out the bullshitters. Then you get them on site, or arrange some remote grilling. No bingo questions, real-world examples. Problem solving. Examples of past work, and letting them find and correct flaws in existing example work.

Never just trust a CV, you're asking for trouble. Also tons of paper qualifications out there you can simply cram for and pass / retake exam until pass, etc.

Mithrildor said:
[LINK REMOVED BY REQUEST]

Is this the one we need to kill?
uh... no. Killing is bad. We don't know all the facts and even if we did, I'm pretty sure that would be quite extreme. Joking about killing someone isn't funny either.
Best is to just stay and mock him in private.

When the list of people need to be killed gets so long, the problem might lie elsewhere. Blaming others tends to cause blowbacks, just a thought ;)

craigix said:
We already wasted thousands of pounds on a 'wifi expert' called [NAME REMOVED BY REQUEST], an ex-ti employee and we got nothing.
I remember "we've hired a consultant" news something like a year ago. The way it was told, I couldn't help it reading "he'll kick your volunteer ass" between the lines back then.

ste_167 said:
Third-party is always better than in-house... <_<

I`m just getting over the second party, And that was in the house.
I think i`ll have the third one in the garden. :)

Trooper

Back