Release Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

I got it to work under Xfce by first opening a terminal window and then starting the .pnd. After a few seconds the main menu appeared in the terminal window.
That's funny, every time I run it, a new terminal window appears. (which is the intended behavior) It disappears when I leave the game. But then, I typically have a terminal window open at all times.

The command issued by the .pnd is supposed to start a new terminal window, (which is full screen, etc.), and close it when the session is complete. Specifically, it uses something like "terminal -e "./bin/crawl --somearguments"

But none of this really helps if the appdata folder isn't being created. In that case, I don't think the startup script is being run at all.

I got it to work under Xfce by first opening a terminal window and then starting the .pnd. After a few seconds the main menu appeared in the terminal window.
That's funny, every time I run it, a new terminal window appears. (which is the intended behavior) It disappears when I leave the game. But then, I typically have a terminal window open at all times.

The command issued by the .pnd is supposed to start a new terminal window, (which is full screen, etc.), and close it when the session is complete. Specifically, it uses something like "terminal -e "./bin/crawl --somearguments"

But none of this really helps if the appdata folder isn't being created. In that case, I don't think the startup script is being run at all.

Hi

Nope tried that still does not work.

Those of you who are playing the game, I recommend that you open up your init.txt file (should be in /settings) and find the following line: "# char_set = ascii". Remove the pound sign (which denotes a comment) to force Crawl to use the ASCII character set.

0.8 uses a different set by default, and some of the characters weren't working. I'll change the default init.txt to incorporate this change in the next version, but if you've already started playing, you have to change it manually. The default files are only copied over when none exist.

Shoudl maybe specify path to 'terminal' and not just assume its in path?

Not sure if your env var stuff was quite right.

You sure you're mounting to /mnt/utmp/stone_soup_0.8.blabhblah, and not to /mnt/utmp/stone_soup?

I didn't run it, haven't had time, couple machiens blew up at home so I've been off air for a few days .. but took a quick look at your script :p

jeff

Yeah, I'm new to Linux scripting, as if that wasn't obvious.

I'll take a look at this over the weekend and see if I can do a more friendly version.

Actually did a pretty good job of it for a new-to-scripting job then!

I forgot what I noticed, but I thought your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PATH or somesuch had a odd syntax; may well work, but seemed fishy.

ie:

Somethign like..

$PATH=${PATH}:-/foo

There seemed to be an extra '-' in there, but I was only breezing through to see if anything jumped out.

The pnd invocation process is really the mont, execute, and unmount; if you look in ~/Desktop or /usr/share/applications you'll find the .desktops generated by pndnotifyd, so you can 'more' yours and see the Exec= line to see exactly how pnd_run.sh is being invoked; or you can just run the pnd and check the /tmp/pndrunstone_soup_blah.out to see, it shoudl show the command line too IIRC; or use pnd_run /path/to/foo.pnd and check the /tmp/ output again.

Given that, you could drop the -e scripts/myrun.sh part of the command line.. use a -m to imply 'mount' and without the -e, it'll mount and thats that.. leave it mounted; and -u to unmount it again. So do the -m mount, then cd into the root /mnt/utmp/stone_soup or whatever, and then ./scripts/myrun.sh or whatever to see what would happen, then cd out and do the -u unmount; this way you can simulate the whole pnd process end to end, try to figure out whats up.

Pretty unusual odditityy you've got there.. not seen that; usually you pnd it up, and its easy as pie .. a scripting error here or there you see in /tmp/pndrun_bnlah, but otherwise easy .. you got bad luck this time :)

jeff

yeah, wasn't sure offhand -- I tend to stick with straight sh, or tcsh/csh scripting in shell.. olr go straight to python/perl; nash has so many extensions, I just never got around to getting on top of it (since I came from a BSD root instead of sysV/Linux root :)

Fair enough..

jeff

There's been a few newer versions released for this, but my Pandora's presumably lost somewhere between my house and ED's. (sent for purple haze fix) So I haven't been able to port these new versions, and won't be able to until it either shows up or I bite the bullet and get a new one. :(

In the meantime, I can still produce the binaries so if some enterprising soul wants to package and test it, I'll happily send do so.

RELEVANT THREAD NECRO ATTACK

I haven't actually got a Pandora yet, but I'm an avid DCSS player. Which is why I was disappointed at finding this thread dead. I was wondering... with 0.12 out and all the exciting new features in 0.13 coming, is anyone still willing to actually continue this thing? I have zilch coding ability, so I can't do it. But anyone willing to step up would get all the internet candy I have to distribute, which is not very much but enough all the same.

Failing that, has anyone tried running the Debian distribution of DCSS on the Pandora? If so, how's the experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love crawl. I'll maybe work on a fresh update.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's something I could be interested in looking at once I have my cross compile environment setup.

Though it would be even better if I had a Pandora ;)

Back