Release Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Hi

No luck here either I am afraid :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here; it won't run.

For what it's worth, the file system doesn't recognize it as an executable, but rather as a text file.

Does nothing happen when you try to run it, or does a blank terminal appear then disappear? Also, check your appdata folder -- is there a stone_soup folder, and what does it contain?

Edit: Okay, I've found the problem. I made a change to the startup script in the final version that broke the file copying that happens on first run. The game will crash because it goes to look for the init.txt and doesn't find it.

An updated file will be uploaded to the archive presently, but in the meantime, you can put those files there yourself. Download any console version (not tiles) of Stone Soup from its official website, and copy the settings and docs folders into the stone_soup appdata folder. These are platform-agnostic and will work on any non-tiles version.

Does nothing happen when you try to run it, or does a blank terminal appear then disappear? Also, check your appdata folder -- is there a stone_soup folder, and what does it contain?

The system seems like it's about to load something (indicator light) but then nothing happens. No window opens, nor any process activated. No appdata folder is made.

The system seems like it's about to load something (indicator light) but then nothing happens. No window opens, nor any process activated. No appdata folder is made.
That's not the same problem as what I found. Restart your Pandora? If that doesn't work, try downloading it again.

If it's not even creating an appdata folder, something is very wrong. If you put it in your /apps folder, do you see the icon?

appdata folder should be created by the pnd system, so if no appdata dir is being created, its pretty fishy :)

jeff

Has anyone at least been able to reach the main menu? If you get that far, the game can be made playable as described above. (or just wait until the fix is up)

If it's not even creating an appdata folder, something is very wrong. If you put it in your /apps folder, do you see the icon?

Yes, I see the icon, but it doesn't give me a menu; even with creating an appdata folder and importing the directories you mentioned above.

Yes, I see the icon, but it doesn't give me a menu; even with creating an appdata folder and importing the directories you mentioned above.
You see an icon, but when you start it, nothing happens, not even a new appdata folder. (where one didn't exist before) It seems like its failing before any script gets run, since one of the first things a .pnd does is create an appdata folder if it doesn't exist.

You see an icon, but when you start it, nothing happens, not even a new appdata folder. (where one didn't exist before) It seems like its failing before any script gets run, since one of the first things a .pnd does is create an appdata folder if it doesn't exist.

Indeed, that's correct. Anyone else having better luck?

Parenthetically, what is the precise directory path for the fix you described above? I have tried appdata/stone_soup and appdata/stone_soup-0.8.0 for the two directories' worth of files and neither has worked.

Is anyone else having problems reaching the main menu? Or are people too busy playing Crawl to post here? ;)

I have to wonder if it's a problem specific to his Pandora. (which has recently been restarted, right?) Try downloading it again, the transfer might have been borked.

Hi

Downloaded it again it still does not work, just resets to Minimenu as before.

No appdata folder created.

Restarted, with imported directories, without imported directories... No luck. It sounds like it's not just me, either.

Hi

Downloaded it again it still does not work, just resets to Minimenu as before.

No appdata folder created.
You know, I haven't tested it on MiniMenu. In fact, I've all but forgotten that it exists. I don't know much about MiniMenu, but would terminals have a problem in that environment?

I'll have to load up MiniMenu when I get home and see if it works. In the meantime, why don't you guys try it on Xfce?

Hi

Nope does not work in Xfce, no folder created, it just thinks it is a text file.

Thing is most gamers use Minimenu I would think, I hardly ever touch Xfce myself.

Hi

Nope does not work in Xfce, no folder created, it just thinks it is a text file.

Thing is most gamers use Minimenu I would think, I hardly ever touch Xfce myself.

I must be an exemption then, I consider myself a gamer (not a brilliant one by any means!!), and I always use Xfce! ;)

I got it to work under Xfce by first opening a terminal window and then starting the .pnd. After a few seconds the main menu appeared in the terminal window.

There, that did it! The problem appears to be that the .pnd does not open a terminal window itself. I need to open the terminal first for it.

Thanks!

Back