Release Dune Dynasty - Classic Dune 2. Modern Controls.

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Dune Dynasty, an modern engine for playng Dune II.

*** You need DATA from original Dune II to play. Get *.PAK from Dune2 v1.07 EU and put them in appdata/dunedynasty/data after 1st launch, or let the PND (since build 02) download it for you ***

The GUI is newer, giving the player the ability to chain build construction, select multiple troups, zoom in/out, and so on. Herre are some screenshots, where you can see the differents zooms level.

preview4.png

This build is tagged as beta because it use my still experimental port of Allegro 5.1 to run. It runs well (and fast, no slowdown at all), but there are still some little glitch (with the mouse, that refuse to hide, also, don't use Hardware Cursor, it's worse), Fullscreen 800x480 only (don't try other settings, it's worse)...

But the game (even more with a mouse) is really enjoyable, and the new control makes Dune II a new and fresh experience again.

You should visit the main website, here: http://dunedynasty.sourceforge.net/, as there are many info on key shortcut (I didn't customize them for now, but the "+" to zoom in is in fact "="), and to play custom campaign and many other customizable aspect.

Also, you can use different locale, by editing the appdata/dunedynasty/dunedynasty.cfg, and changing ENG by FRE (for French), or GER (I guess, for German, but didn't try), also, depends of your data of course.

Now with Fluidsynth. Note the default is still Adlib. You will need a soundfont (go here for example) for it, and modify the dunedynasty.cfg to point to it (and also if you want default to be midi). Note that framerate are much lower with Fluidsynth (from 45+fps to 15+fps, use F10 to Show Fremarate).

Starting with Build 04, the stylus is 100% usable. Use either trigger to right click. And with Build 05, I added "E" to do multiple selection (and the "Shift" on the keybord is still useable of course).

History log
=========

Build 08
-----------

• Latest sources, fresh build
  • Updates libs (allegro 5.2)
  • Mouse cursor should be fine now (don't use hardware cursor)
Build 07
-----------

• In sync with 1.5.6+ version

Build 06
-----------

• In sync with 1.5.5 version
Build 05
----------

• Added "E" to multiple selection (you can still use shift).
Build 04
----------

• Added {L} and {R} to right click. So you can rightclick with stylus pressing either trigger
Build 03
-----------

• Updated version number to sync with software version (1.5.4
  • Compiled with Fluidsynth (limited polyphony to 32 voices so it doesn't kill too much the performances)
Build 02
-----------

• Added milkshake script to download Dune2 data files if missing (thanks again to Milkshake!)
  • Added a few more tweaks to Pandora control (change size of toolbars with Comma and Fullpoint)

Build 01
-----------

• Initial build.

Have fun, and let the spice flow !

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
love this game thanks a lot for this i really need to watch the movies again it's been years

This game plays great for me and the audio is top notch!!

Very well done and a classic reborn on the Pandora for sure. 

Thanks for this. ;)

Love those .pak files  :wub:

Last edited:
Well done, and good job on the Allegro build, you made me a happy man :)

Anyone know the differences between Dune Dynasty and OpenDune ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amzing ptitSeb, you keep finding unported games. How many have you ported now?

Amzing ptitSeb, you keep finding unported games. How many have you ported now?
*facepalm*

first paragraph on the website of Dune Dynasty:

Dune Dynasty is a continuation of the classic real-time strategy game Dune II by Westwood Studios. It is not a remake. It builds upon the original game engine as reverse-engineered by the OpenDUNE project.
also forgot to express my gratitude to ptitSeb for porting such a fast amount of software

@ptitSeb If you have a look at my opendune pnd and have a look at the start scripts I wrote a bash script that automatically checks for the data files and can even download them if needed. you can totally steal that from the opendune pnd :) .

@ptitSeb If you have a look at my opendune pnd and have a look at the start scripts I wrote a bash script that automatically checks for the data files and can even download them if needed. you can totally steal that from the opendune pnd :) .
I remember this, thanks for your kind permission :) . I will repackage with that.

I am wondering also on how to use the Pandora Controls. I have not customized the control, but I think some action mapped to (A)/(B)/(X)/(Y) could improve to port.

I think I will try some (A) => A (attack), ( B) => G (guard), (X) => H, select construction yard, (Y) => P Place constructed struct ?

This is HUGE !! :eek:

Thanks !!

I wanted to play OpenDune so much, but the sound was soo laggy that I preferred to use dosbox... but now this is just WOW !!

There's also an "extras" section with musics and movies !! This is so great !!

New build on the repo.

Tweaked some controls, like (A) and (B ) to change Zoomlevel, and Comma and Fullstop to change size of toolbar if you find them too small.

And also added the script to download data files if missing, from Milkshake.

Build 02

-----------

• Added milkshake script to download Dune2 data files if missing (thanks again to Milkshake!)
  • Added a few more tweaks to Pandora control (change size of toolbars with Comma and Fullpoint)

Damn !! I can't try it now !! Seems like it's becoming the Ultimate-Perfect Dune2  :wub:

Good move using the game buttons for the zoom, I don't think them so useful if mapped with troops commands (I use the stylus with the right hand).

I found some issue:

- (minor) In the statistics screen after the mission the rank name is not visible, I can see that something is appearing but then you can't see it... (anyway you can see it after inserting your name in the highscore table)

- (minor) after winning a mission the victory window didn't appear... I was thinking that the game was in freeze, but after I clicked I have seen for half a second that window and then the house congratulations

- After I exited the game (from the main menu) remained a black overlay... I was able to see only the mouse cursor, seems like I was in the desktop, even pandora key moved the mouse pointer to open the pandora menu, but I wasn't able to remove that overlay and I rebooted

I found some issue:

- (minor) In the statistics screen after the mission the rank name is not visible, I can see that something is appearing but then you can't see it... (anyway you can see it after inserting your name in the highscore table)

- (minor) after winning a mission the victory window didn't appear... I was thinking that the game was in freeze, but after I clicked I have seen for half a second that window and then the house congratulations

- After I exited the game (from the main menu) remained a black overlay... I was able to see only the mouse cursor, seems like I was in the desktop, even pandora key moved the mouse pointer to open the pandora menu, but I wasn't able to remove that overlay and I rebooted
I may need to playtest more, but I had none of those issues during previous sessions ? What's your Pandora model?

Thanks ptitSeb!  A few comments and questions:

- Please make the source code available.  Besides that it is GPLv2, I might like to merge some of the changes back in.

- milkshake: the same goes for your OpenDUNE package too.

- Could you rename it to be 1.5.4.x?  At first I thought you had ported the 1.5.0 version, but the change log suggests it is 1.5.4.

- Was there any reason to use Allegro 5.1, besides that you've ported it?

Thanks ptitSeb!  A few comments and questions:

- Please make the source code available.  Besides that it is GPLv2, I might like to merge some of the changes back in.

- milkshake: the same goes for your OpenDUNE package too.

- Could you rename it to be 1.5.4.x?  At first I thought you had ported the 1.5.0 version, but the change log suggests it is 1.5.4.

- Was there any reason to use Allegro 5.1, besides that you've ported it?
I will put the code here, no problem, was just waiting to have confirmation it's stable.

I rename it 1.5.4 (I have to post again to the repo, not a big deal).

I use Allegro 5.1, because I cannot used Allegro 5.0 on the Pandora. The OpenGLES support in Allegro prior to 5.1 does not works well on Pandora.

PS: About the changes I've done, I'm sorry but I have not guarded them between #ifdef... :( I know it's bad.

Welcome here, and congrats for Dune Dynasty, as you can see from the comments, the game is well appreciated !

I helped milkshake with the opendune port and there was no codechange except for a try to incorporate fluidsynth midisupport afaik.

Back