Drmd - Genesis Emulator

Reesy posted on Oct 16 2004 at 06:13 PM said:
Nah!  I can't really be bothered to make the savestates compatible.  Besides once the z80 core is added to Fgen you won't need to use DrMD.  ;)

Hey dude, don't sell yourself or your emu short. It is great even though it is still early. The way you have all of the ASM cores working together it brilliant. I have the feeling when you finish this it will be the best one. fGen is good too but there are alot of games that simply don't work at all with it. These games worked in Gigadrive so it is not the cyclone bug but is the fGen emulator itself. I think the work you have done so far is great, I will be looking forward to your version, and I have a feeling it will be the one I keep on my card :)

Last edited by a moderator:
kotd posted on Oct 17 2004 at 02:13 AM said:
Meh both  gp32_console gone time to get a blu me thinks. For some nice MD. Reesy are you entering the 16 day compo? Is that when we get to try the new version that plays sonic 3 and no 2 player and centered screen? :p  B)

It wouldn't really be fair to enter it into the competition. I would have to enter it as a team entry.

Finalburn Dave ( now just what is his surname ) wrote :-

Cyclone M68K cpu core - The main source of emulation speed
Rom loader

I wrote:-

DrZ80 Z80 cpu core
Genesis emulation core ( Memory Access, I/O emulation, Vdp Emulation etc )

The PSG sn76496 sound emulation is from mame.
And when I finally get my hands on it the Fm2612 emulator is from Rob Brown.

Mr Spiv wrote the b2fxec.exe program which compress down the program from 600K to 137K.

So you won't see it in the compo. When I've got the fm emulator it should only take a day or two to add it to DrMD. I'll release a new version then....now if only I had a BLU to play it on. Any companys out there interested in a bit of advertisement. I'll trade a splash screen for a BLU ( cheap sell-out that I am ) :)

Heh take donations reesy and I'm sure you'll soon get enough cash. lotsa people donate $5 and you got yourself a BLU :p

Yeah i see what you mean with the team effort. Bit hard to share a DS though lol and your emu is definately the fastest I have seen.

Hope you get the source from Rlyeh soooon. :)

kotd posted on Oct 17 2004 at 08:39 AM said:
Heh take donations reesy and I'm sure you'll soon get enough cash. lotsa people donate $5 and you got yourself a BLU :p

Yeah i see what you mean with the team effort. Bit hard to share a DS though lol and your emu is definately the fastest I have seen.

Hope you get the source from Rlyeh soooon. :)

Well Dave and I could share the DS. I'll break off the top bit and give that to Dave and keep the bottom bit for myself ( that bits got buttons on too, so I've got the best deal for sure ;) )

Reesy posted on Oct 17 2004 at 08:31 AM said:
Any companys out there interested in a bit of advertisement. I'll trade a splash screen for a BLU ( cheap sell-out that I am ) :)

Advertisement space has now been purchased :) WoooooHoooo

Really? cool!

Another Q. is it the PSG sn76496 or the Fm2612 which produce the voice samples? As fgen with Rob browns code that not have voices either. I always thought it was the z80 doing the voice samples??? Maybe I'm wrong. Also out of interest does Sonic & Knuckles work?

And where the hell is Reesy's Guru Status???? :p
Thanks

Rob

kotd posted on Oct 17 2004 at 10:43 AM said:
Really? cool!

Another Q. is it the PSG sn76496 or the Fm2612 which produce the voice samples? As fgen with Rob browns code that not have voices either. I always thought it was the z80 doing the voice samples??? Maybe I'm wrong. Also out of interest does Sonic & Knuckles work?

And where the hell is Reesy's Guru Status???? :p
Thanks

Rob

The FM produces the voice samples. But in most games the Z80 controls the FM chip when creating the voice sounds, hence no voices in Fgen. I've just this second finshed adding a different fm sound core. This one is from Generator. Its faster than the last one I was using but still to slow for a public release but it does do voice samples and it does them very well. I can hear the SaayyyyGaaaa voice in Sonic. ;)

It would be nice to see this completed. Its insanely fast, although it seems like the Z80 has timing issues or something.

Also, anyone think its a good idea to merge FSMS and FGen into one app? It makes sense since the systems are similar in a lot of ways.

I see. The mega drive is pretty complex lol. Nice to see you got the SAYYYYYYYGAAA going :p I really want to play streets of rage 3 with the voice sounds :)

that was the one thing I really missed when playing sonic 2 on gigadrive.

I just love that voice: SEEEEEEEYYYYGAAAAA

I can't wait till this emu is finished. From the sounds of it it's going very well and very quickly. Well done Reesy :D Megadrive is definatley my favourite 16 bit console, if this emu is a good as it sounds I may just start playing with my gp32 again ;)

someone mentioned to play sensible soccer on it. is it really working at all? mine didn't worked on both the other emulators (crashed). this one said i had the wrong cartridge.

hmm i think my rom might be not good.

sensible soccer doesn't work on DrMD. The menus work fine, but when you start a new match the emulator locks up.

Swiss_Cheeseman posted on Oct 17 2004 at 06:35 AM said:
It would be nice to see this completed. Its insanely fast, although it seems like the Z80 has timing issues or something.

Also, anyone think its a good idea to merge FSMS and FGen into one app? It makes sense since the systems are similar in a lot of ways.
Thats a good idea...it would be pretty good since there are good games for both systems, and as you said, they are very similar. Anyone up for the challenge?

Adding a SMS emu might be especially good as an idea since it uses a Z80 chip for pretty much everything iirc. But the actual logistics might be tougher to implement - I'm not what you'd call a coder lol.

I still haven't tried this emu, but the moment it gets saves, it will, I think, probably replace fGen for the time being. Especially if it does SRAM saves as well - I suspect they'd be less prone to corruption than savestates (going by fGen as the only emu that saves currently).

cozmic posted on Oct 17 2004 at 06:56 PM said:
Dune2 doesnt work for me...

Anyone?

Doesn't work in any of the Genesis emulators yet.

Last edited:
Back