Drmd - Genesis Emulator

Wow!
When I first saw Genemu (or what it's called) I couldn't imagine something like this... Just can't stop playing!

I've managed to add Rob's superb sound core to DrMD. It was abit of a pain because I'm using an earlier version of GCC and the code Rob used does not work properly with it. But thanks to the Hitmen http://hitmen.c02.at/hitgp32/, I have found the problem in the code and got it all working.

Using the new sound core has hit the speed of the emulator hard. Its fine at 166 with a frame skip of 1. But its too slow really at 133 with a frame skip of 1. I've still got to implement a auto frame skip option hopefully this will make DrMD playable at 133 but we shall see.

I've been playing with the Z80 interupts which has broken a few games. I'm going to do some more work them before I make another release. When I've got the music on Sonic 2 working correctly I make another release ;)

See ya

Reesy

EDIT - Oh shit look I'm a "Guru" now :)

EDIT( again ) I have forgotten to mention that Rob's sound core does not currently support the DAC chip. The DAC chip produces the voices like "SaaaayyGaaaaa" in the Sonic Games. He removed the core for speed reasons but will add it back in when he gets time. Won't be for awhile though as he's of to America jammy git :)

Reesy posted on Oct 20 2004 at 06:30 PM said:
I've managed to add Rob's superb sound core to DrMD. It was abit of a pain because I'm using an earlier version of GCC and the code Rob used does not work properly with it. But thanks to the Hitmen http://hitmen.c02.at/hitgp32/, I have found the problem in the code and got it all working.

Using the new sound core has hit the speed of the emulator hard. Its fine at 166 with a frame skip of 1. But its too slow really at 133 with a frame skip of 1. I've still got to implement a auto frame skip option hopefully this will make DrMD playable at 133 but we shall see.

I've been playing with the Z80 interupts which has broken a few games. I'm going to do some more work them before I make another release. When I've got the music on Sonic 2 working correctly I make another release ;)

See ya

Reesy

EDIT - Oh shit look I'm a "Guru" now :)

EDIT( again ) I have forgotten to mention that Rob's sound core does not currently support the DAC chip. The DAC chip produces the voices like "SaaaayyGaaaaa" in the Sonic Games. He removed the core for speed reasons but will add it back in when he gets time. Won't be for awhile though as he's of to America jammy git :)

Sounds great Reesy! Take your time, I know you will make it awesome.

Thanks again for your great work on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
kotd posted on Oct 21 2004 at 06:26 AM said:
Need to get a 166mhz gp32 than :p too bad it does such a performance hit :(

Maybe there will be an option to turn off the DAC. This will save some performance. It would be a worthwhile trade off to have it run smoother and just not hear the "sega" intro.

Some games I have tested

Aero Blasters - Sound & Speed OK - Shifted Video
Aladdin - Music a little slow. Speed and Video OK.
Art of Fighting - Locks up
Castelvania - Music Quick. Shifted Video. Speed fine.
Cotton Panorama - Locks up
Darius 2 - Quick music. Video & speed fine.
Double Dragon - quick music. Locks up after garage door opens.
Earthworm Jim - Weird music. Video and Speed great though. This game looks amazing on the GP32...
Frogger - Locks Up
Ghouls and Ghosts - Quick Music. Video and speed OK.
Gunstar Heroes - Garbled backgrounds. Speed, music and rest of video ok.
Insector X - Resets GP32
Space Invaders 91 - Resets GP32
Raiden Trad - Speed and Sound ok. Shifted Video.
Micro Machines 2 - Quick Music. Joystick/buttons don't work.
Ms. Pacman - Locks up
M.U.S.H.A. - Runs, plays and sounds fine. Excellent!
PItfall - The Mayan Adventure - Plays well, video looks really dark and sounds weird.
Puyo Puyo 2 - Locks Up
Rainbow Islands Extra - Fast Music, chracter moves always to the right, but commands sort of work.
Shadow of the Beast - Background is garbled, sounds weird
Shinobi 3 - ROunds and sounds great.
Sonic 2 - Sounds and plays a little slow.
Super Street Fighter II - Locks Up
MegaSwiv - Shows "PAL" message
Thuderforce 2,3,4 - All Lock up
Toki - Sounds ok, plays and looks great.
Truxton - Locks Up
Twin Cobra / Kyuukyou Tiger - Speed and Sound ok. Shifted Video.
Vampire Killer - Shows Konami intro screen then locks up.
Viewpoint - Shifted video. Sounds and plays great.
Lost Vikings - Looks fine. Sounds a little weird. Collision and control are off.

WOW, first emulator I can play Outrun, OR2019 and Super HangOn.
Too bad I still can't play Outrunners. Can't have everything I guess.

You are my new god. What a great time to own a gp32_console

B)

Don't stop work on this emulator. With a little work it could be the best ever on the GP32. Well done!

Reesy posted on Oct 25 2004 at 04:54 PM said:
Outrunners works on my latest version ;)

:blink:

OMG

Well that rocs. Roll on the next public version... B)

Something for later on.... how about an option to change where the buttons are mapped to? I played Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin' the other day and both work great, but the game uses button A to accelerate. This is mapped to the SELECT button, and with no way to change the key selection, having the backlight turn on and off every 3 seconds pretty much renders the game unplayable.

Plus it's probably not doing my GP32 any good either.

This is something Rlyeh should think about putting into his emulator too.
Anyway, just a suggestion.

Bummer, is that how the GP32 blu's light is switched on and off i.e. holding down the select button. I'll probably just add a menu option to allow a few set combinations, rather than having totally customized controls.

Have you checked the menu options actually in the games. A lot of genesis games allow you to choose different control settings.

Anyway I currently working on the menu, its going to be vary basic ( cause I hate doing menu's ). But it will allow you to switch sound on and off, switch between 8bit rendering mode and 16bit rendering mode ( yep 16bit mode has been added now ). Hopefully later it will also allow you to save/load savestates.

Later

Reesy

Yeah, I checked. While a lot of Megadrive games allow you to select different key combinations, Hard Drivin' & Race Drivin' do not allow this. Which is why I would need a different key map for this game (and any opthers if there are any).

Thanks for your response. Can't wait for the next release.

Reesy posted on Oct 25 2004 at 11:12 AM said:
Bummer, is that how the GP32 blu's light is switched on and off i.e. holding down the select button. I'll probably just add a menu option to allow a few set combinations, rather than having totally customized controls.

Have you checked the menu options actually in the games. A lot of genesis games allow you to choose different control settings.

Anyway I currently working on the menu, its going to be vary basic ( cause I hate doing menu's ). But it will allow you to switch sound on and off, switch between 8bit rendering mode and 16bit rendering mode ( yep 16bit mode has been added now ). Hopefully later it will also allow you to save/load savestates.

Later

Reesy

That is great.

I was wondering if a future version will support .ZIP files too. I think this is very important due to the large size of Genesis games and the small size of SMC cards. This feature would greatly increase the amount of games you can fit on a card.

Thanks again :)

Though Genesis games are quite a lot smaller than SNES games, I must say I agree... the moment either SRAM saves or Savestates are added, I'll give this a whirl (don't feel like serious betatesting atm, I'm afraid) - in the mean time, keep up the extremely good work Reesy - looking forward to seeing the next ver :)

(And if Paranoia Cotton works on it, which is to me the main thing atm... possibly along with, say, Shining Force etc.)

Back