Drmd - Genesis Emulator

Okay, did some first testing with the emulator...
It doesn't support zipped roms yet, so be sure to unzip them ;)

Some stuff that happened to me:

Menu:
1. If I select .. as directory, my GP32 restarts (haven't tried with other directories).
2. Not all files in a directory are listed... haven't counted, but there is a limit (about 50 files...?) and then the menu just stops displaying.

Games:
A lot of games still crash - but who cares, it's a first beta with sound :)

Sonic 2 is surprisingly fast - not fullspeed, but faster than I imagined a year ago, if I thought about the possible speed of Genesis emulation on my GP...

Sound is still VERY early... but in most games you can recognize the tune if you ever played them on the original machine :)
Very interesting is the sound in Castle of Illusion: The background music only continues if there are sound effects (i.e. Jumping, collecting apples, etc.).
If there are no sound effects at the moment, it hangs ;)

Some games have graphical glitches (the picture is shifted to the left and is partly doubled on the right... happens in Snake Rattle'n'Roll all the time and in Sonic 2 if you access the Bonus Round.)

Anyways, a VERY VERY impressive first release! If Rlyeh and Reesy work together (could be, if you look at Rlyehs post in this thread :)), Genesis emulation will be perfect on the GP32 very soon.

If anyone wants to see how fast this thing is, try Snake Rattle'n'Roll: Fullspeed with sound :) And the sound doesn't sound too bad either in this game :)

Just one more word: Thanks :)

Shadow of Chaos posted on Oct 15 2004 at 12:52 AM said:
Good news, i dont expect anywhere near full speed though.

Hehe, you should really try it out :)
Pretty near fullspeed for a first beta, if you ask me...

Last edited:
OH, the torture! I'm suffering at work right now with no way to try this out until I get home ... could someone try Kid Chameleon??

I will scream like a little girl if it works with sound!

Edit: You no longer look evil, Mr. Dragon. WTF happened?? :blink:

This is great! I don't even care if this version has bugs because I know it is just a start. I imagine great things to come, especially since two of the most 1337 coders are working on it :) Thanks guys for the good work, this will be great for the whole GP32 community.

I've discovered what happens with some games like eternal champions and mortal kombat 2.
Ressy, the 2nd player controls seems to be working in some way, pressing some button and going to the right all the time, you can see that in streets of rage 1, the bonus stage of sonic 2, in mortal kombat 2 and the menu of eternal champions and sensible soccer for example.
Fixing this more games will be playable (or at least we can test them)
Amazing job Ressy, i wish the best for you and rlyeh (hola puto XD) on megadrive/genesis emulation now that you are working togheter, or at least sharing code and ideas.

absolutely amazing. I haven't tried it because all my roms on my GP are zipped, but this is very, very exciting. ryleh and reesy working together could mean we'll have a fully working Genesis emulator very soon... :D :D :D

Geez, I've had my GP for maybe a month and I've seen amazing progress in just that short time. Great job, guys!

Thanks Reesy this is great!!
Sonic 2 running close to full speed with sound. (Which is sweet even if the sound is choppy) :D

With you and Ryleh helping each other i expect we will have fullspeed genesis with sound sometime in the near future. ( and if not its still pretty awesome already!)

YAY!!!

Great time to own a gp32_console !!

Protoss posted on Oct 14 2004 at 06:50 PM said:
Ahhh...The envy my Zodiac-owning friend will have when I start playing Sonic 2 and all other z80 games with sound :D

As always its sort of crappy to trash GP32's or Zodiacs.. but since you did, I'll have to refute you ;)

Both Genesis emus on Palm OS/Zodiac have had z80 emulation since day one. rlyeh also has had it since day one in his GP32 one, but not enabled due to speed reasons, since the z80 code comes with the emu core that he (and us) are using :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Well never mind my post...I was under the illusion that the Zodiac was much faster than it is. This brings down my envy of him having a Zodiac alot :p I thought it ran at 300mhz...but 200 :S Even the owner of the Z thought it ran at about 350 :lol:

Just a slight request.

Do you think you could do a 200mhz version for us overclockers. :D

Oh and thanks for the good work.

Protoss posted on Oct 14 2004 at 08:45 PM said:
Sweet! I picked the right time to be a beta tester for rlyeh!
Is there savestate support?

We need to remember this is a VERY early version. So it will be glitchy and probably not have ** (insert your wanted feature here) support yet. It is a start I am not even going to try it yet as I know it is early. We all should save our feature requests until much later. Chances are that the feature you want will be implemented after the base emu gets refined. These guys know what they are doing, they know features like zip and saves etc are nice. Give them a chance, and a break. This is not a flame, so I hope there is no hard feelings. We (everyone) just need patience. This is great news, but writing an emu of this scope is very difficult and will take time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Reesy

Thx for your time and effort on teh emulator. The Mega Drive/Genesis is my favorite console and I am really happy someone is working on emulators :)

I don´t know much about emus but I have some notes for some quite popular games, which many people really would love to play:

- Sensible Soccer: Can´t start the Roms, because I get the error message "This cartridge is designed to only run on European Systems". With hacked roms I can start it, but once I come to the first menu, I got stuck and can´t do anything. Sensible Soccer on Mega Drive is the BEST soccer game and MANY people are desperate to play it on the gp32. I think it doesnt start at all on fgen32 and on gigadrive it crashes once you want to start a game :(

edit: Ressy, the 2nd player controls seems to be working in some way, pressing some button and going to the right all the time, you can see that in streets of rage 1, the bonus stage of sonic 2, in mortal kombat 2 and the menu of eternal champions and sensible soccer for example. --> that might be... some "magical hand" seems to pull/up down the selection on the first menu until it is stuck :( Game works good until then, if I use the hack [non-euro] version

- Warsong: That one actually works perfectly! On fgen32, the units were "losing" their position, i.e.. not standing on the hex field they are supposed to be, made it quite unplayable. But the game is useless without a save option... it´s by far the best strategy game for the Mega Drive and it would be cool if your emu has a save option soon :)

I have yet to check the very popular EA games, like NHL and Madden, many people would love to play those as well.

As I mentioned, I dont know much about emus, but if you can have get those games running, you would make many people very happy :) thx alot, I really appreciate your work! The emu looks fantastic so far! I hope the different guys work together for one incrediable emu :)

Nhl 96 was key, sooo easy to score. It was great when I was young, still great now, but accompanied with some alcohol its best.

THANKS REESY !! THIS GUY IS AWESOME. he did a great gamegear/sms emulator for gba. now a new genesis emu.

tried some games here the list:

Blaster master = GREAT SPEED, SOUND WORK (but badly) :)
Bomberman = GREAT SPEED, SOUND WORK (sound not too bad) :)
Castlevania = GREAT SPEED, SOUND WORK (sound seem too fast i think) :)
NHL92 = GOOD SPEED, SOUND WORK but with some trouble, miss some effect ;)
Street fighter 2 turbo= GOOD SPEED, SOUND WORK (sound not too bad) :)
Shining FORCE 1 = SOUND WORK, BUT BLACK SCREEN AND FREEZE ! :(
Shining FORCE 2 = SOUND WORK, BUT FREEZE WHEN STARTING A NEW GAME :(
Sonic1= GOOD SPEED SOUND WORK (sound not too bad) :)
Sonic 2= GOOD SPEED SOUND WORK (sound not too bad) :)
Sonic 3 = dont work :unsure:
Teenage mutant ninja turtles Gem= GREAT SPEED, SOUND WORK( but seem too fast) :)

:p

Out Run = like if it had a lot of frameskip, ultra fast music, but if you turn music off, the game runs almost perfect!

btw, the second controller is indeed active. You see the best on "Super Offroad", where at the start is the split screen and it shows some weird activity for the second controller

Reeeesy! Great work man! If only all GBA coders (*cough* The HiVe *cough*) were as generous to the GP32 as you are.

You really are a star :)

As usual, if you want a icon and splash screen for this - lemme know!

Back