Drm Restricted Commercial Games

DRM will make me:

• More likely to buy (I will pirate if possible)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less likely to buy (I dislike the DRM restrictions)

• No more or less likely to buy (Piracy isn't an option, DRM doesn't bother me)

• No more or less likely to buy (I'd never pay for a gp2x game)

• Total voters

nubie posted on May 5 2006 at 06:32 PM said:
nubie posted on May 4 2006 at 10:46 PM said:
Edit:

I also would like to point out the fact that all of you are using Secure Digital cards in your GP2X's, (I am not sure of the status of MMC cards yet, they didn't work when I had my GP2X), in which case you already have the important parts of the DRM in place. Secure Digital cards are called that because of the copy protection and serial numbers designed into them, the MMSP2 chip made by MagicEyes has the hardware to use that DRM inside it already, I can't believe that games won't be at least just using what the console already has.

invinciblegod posted on May 5 2006 at 12:18 AM said:
Doesnt SD card have a built in DRM function? It was designed that way (hence SECURE digital). Just no one used it up to now. If I am somehow wrong on this, please correct me.

I don't know how you missed it, but I did point out exaclty what you said, last night.

P.S. pretend the SD cards are cartridges. SD has a serial number and the game can be tied to the serial number so that it only plays on that SD card, a batch of the SD cards is made with the same serial number and the game is compiled to that number.

How is that any different from a cartridge?

The game's ROM in a cartridge can be extracted and written to another cartridge, and it will, in most cases, play just fine. Most cartridges don't include any sort of DRM or copy protection, other than just the proprietary format of the cartridge. You have to first make a device that can read the cart to extract the ROM, then you need to modify the cart to allow writing. (You could do this on old gameboy carts, don't know about others)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anhaedra posted on May 5 2006 at 07:35 PM said:
The game's ROM in a cartridge can be extracted and written to another cartridge, and it will, in most cases, play just fine. Most cartridges don't include any sort of DRM or copy protection, other than just the proprietary format of the cartridge. You have to first make a device that can read the cart to extract the ROM, then you need to modify the cart to allow writing. (You could do this on old gameboy carts, don't know about others)

I meant, how is this any different than a cartridge in that both SD and game cartridges are not supposed to allow the wanton distribution of the software illegally.

I don't care if there is DRM, I will just put the SD in my GP and turn it on and play it.

If it does that: it is immaterial whether there is DRM or not.

To me :p

nubie posted on May 5 2006 at 08:32 PM said:
I don't know how you missed it, but I did point out exaclty what you said, last night.

P.S. pretend the SD cards are cartridges. SD has a serial number and the game can be tied to the serial number so that it only plays on that SD card, a batch of the SD cards is made with the same serial number and the game is compiled to that number.

How is that any different from a cartridge?
I don't know how you missed that, but I've already explained the difference. I even used a nice car analogy... oh well, lets try again.

It's the difference between not being able to eat soup with a fork and not being allowed to eat baxters soup with a fork that has been licensed to heinz.

When you add potentially troublesome software to a product, the whole purpose of which is to prevent paying customers from doing things that they could otherwise do, then you are shooting yourself in the foot. You're making your product less appealing than it otherwise would be and the only gain is that you make one hacker spend a couple of hours / days breaking the protection.

Edit:

Yes, I messed up. I meant to type:

It's the difference between not being able to eat soup with a fork and not being allowed to eat baxters soup with a spoon that has been licensed to heinz.

jmetal88 posted on May 6 2006 at 04:41 PM said:
If there was a fork licensed to Heinz, I would buy it just for my ketchup.

But if Heinz could have such power then what it'd be stopping it from demanding buying a new fork for every different bottle of Heinz's ketchup?

You gave a finger - they will take a whole hand later.

FluffyPanda posted on May 6 2006 at 10:22 AM said:
It's the difference between not being able to eat soup with a fork and not being allowed to eat baxters soup with a fork that has been licensed to heinz.
Don't you normally drink soup (unless it has chunky bits)? I tend to drink soup (or comsume it, rather) quietly and not "allowed", and with a spoon not a fork :lol:. Perhaps things are different in Italy? :lol: I don't like Baxter's soup, Heinz is better.

By not using the Fork or the Spoon, you are completely bypassing all licenses from Heinz or Campbells.

Bah, I realised virtually the moment I walked out of the door that I'd written fork twice... Bugger. The second fork was obviously meant to be spoon.

Now that I've completely buggered up this thread I'm going to go to bed.

Night all.

p.s. I still eat soup, since it's a food, though you can indeed drink it in, say, a cup-a-soup form. Mmmm... soup.

If a game has DRM on it, sadly I wont buy it :( I just want to copy everything onto my 2gig SD card, I dont want to carry multiple cards around with me...

I would buy games if I was able to install it on my own SD card, Also, I`m going to buy a GP2X for my daughter for her birthday, So If I buy any games I`d need to be able to install it on her SD card also ;)

Vobbo

Sorry for the bump, but slashdot has a discussion on DRMed film downloads being offered by Warner Brothers.

There are some very good comments in the thread that are equally applicable to our favourite handheld.

I thought it might be of interest.

Back