Dosbox Ready For Pandora

sold said:
I was hoping for carmageddon on the go. I think that it might be a little bit much to ask though :p Still got my fingers crossed that the port might exceed everyones expectations. Any word on the libs you needed Pickles?
No chance of that unfortunately. Carmageddon runs like crap on my PC and it's substantially more powerful than the Pandora (Athlon 64 X2 4600+).

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to admit i am looking forward to seeing dosbox in action...

dont forget about playstation and possibly N64 emulation to play carmegeddon

I am most excited about this app compared to others!

Pickle, what are the chances of a simple front end? As stated previously i currently use D-Fend Reloaded as a front end for dosbox and it's wicked, I would gladly chuck a few notes into your paypal account to fund such a thing??

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

silvercroc said:
I am most excited about this app compared to others!

Pickle, what are the chances of a simple front end? As stated previously i currently use D-Fend Reloaded as a front end for dosbox and it's wicked, I would gladly chuck a few notes into your paypal account to fund such a thing??

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

D-Fend is windows only. There may be one that might run with x-server now. Like for example I use dbgl on my linux x86 machines (but its java based).

I hesitate to start making one since I dont know if I want to get involved in starting another project when I have other things I want to finish. Personally ive been able to get by changing the files by hand, but ill keep thinking about it.

Warpshade said:
Portable X-COM.... mmmm..... What, I can dream, can't I? :D

Why dream? X-com 1 and 2 were released on the PSX. Or, I'm hoping for a port of the open source UFO: Alien Invasion game (quite playable, but still having features added). Also, UFO2000 looks promising, and their web page say latest versions work on "Linux powered handhelds (ARM)."

Just having ufo and civ with me for the rest of my life would have been worth 200 quid.
Im also looking lovingly at an old copy of dungeon keeper.
soon my pretty....

Warpshade said:
Portable X-COM.... mmmm..... What, I can dream, can't I? :D

Try it with 3000 cycles with simple core and it will give an idea how it will run on the pandora.
I dont think pandora is there yet, xcom isnt even functional on the gp2x (it does load which is something i guess)
EDIT: Fixed quote. - Chip

Pickle said:
I dont think pandora is there yet, xcom isnt even functional on the gp2x (it does load which is something i guess)
Huh? what do you mean by "functional"? I had it running on the gp2x at one point, but it was unplayable due to speed and control issues (though the control issues might have had workarounds if the speed hadn't been such an issue)

azmodean said:
Pickle said:
Huh? what do you mean by "functional"? I had it running on the gp2x at one point, but it was unplayable due to speed and control issues (though the control issues might have had workarounds if the speed hadn't been such an issue)

Unplayable as you described. Maybe you missed the 'isnt' before the functional? :huh:

ok really excited for dosbox on pandora, but I really cant understand why people bother with it on the PC. Get Microsoft Virtual PC runs a damn sight better and you can have setups for dos and windows versions.

Oh well, hope I get to play System Shock on the Pandora one day

I think DosBox is used because if you play a 20 year old game on a new PC, even if you run it directly in DOS through a virtual PC setup, it's gonna be super fast. You need something that can slow down the cycles so it's not a blur.

liquidphantom said:
ok really excited for dosbox on pandora, but I really cant understand why people bother with it on the PC. Get Microsoft Virtual PC runs a damn sight better and you can have setups for dos and windows versions.

Some of the reasons why I use Dosbox on PC instead of other virtualization software:
1. I use GNU/Linux.
1. Dosbox installs about 1000x faster than Virtual PC/VMWare/Virtual Box.
2. I don't have to install DOS onto Virtual PC, or VMWare, etc.
3. I don't have to slow the virtual machine down to the proper speed.
4. Virtual PC can't get me running a dos-based bbs that registers a phone call coming from a serial port that's hooked up to telnet in less than 1 minute of configuration, like Dosbox can.
5. Because I support open source and easy-to-use stuff.
6. Meh.. I think that's enough for now.

Noisome

Noisome said:
liquidphantom said:

Some of the reasons why I use Dosbox on PC instead of other virtualization software:
1. I use GNU/Linux.
1. Dosbox installs about 1000x faster than Virtual PC/VMWare/Virtual Box.
2. I don't have to install DOS onto Virtual PC, or VMWare, etc.
3. I don't have to slow the virtual machine down to the proper speed.
4. Virtual PC can't get me running a dos-based bbs that registers a phone call coming from a serial port that's hooked up to telnet in less than 1 minute of configuration, like Dosbox can.
5. Because I support open source and easy-to-use stuff.
6. Meh.. I think that's enough for now.

Noisome

Sun also has an open source Virtual machine

ok I have some basic non-accelerated SDL for Pandora working, so I can either give the libs or take the source and compile it myself.

notaz said:
ok I have some basic non-accelerated SDL for Pandora working, so I can either give the libs or take the source and compile it myself.

I totally missed this, but ive sent a PM, hopefully something can be done soon.

Warpshade said:
Portable X-COM.... mmmm.....
....What, I can dream, can't I? :D
There's an Amiga version of UFO: Enemy Unknown that I have played on the GP2X (very slowly). While playing on dosbox may be out (3000 cycles just isn't enough, 8000 might do it) I expect that the Amiga version on Pandora will be playable.

I would kill for Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall playable on Pandora. Also the Might and Magic series, it would be awesome, I hope Pandora can get them to decent speed, at least Arena and M&M III.

Back