Dosbox Ready For Pandora

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I wanted to wait to do this but im running out of time before the 30th. I was hoping some videos could be made before the preorder, but im not sure if it can happen by then.

Basically i have 0.72 release source code + M-HT dynamic core compiled. The only stage my build fails at is the linking of SDL (I complied using the GP2X headers, but of course it doesnt like the binary lib). So im confident it would link provided I have the matching binary lib.
My plan was to get the binary to someone with some sort of pandora hw, which I found ED was willing to do the tests. All I needed was the SDL lib, which DJwillis has built but has but has not had the time to email it to me.

So, bascally once the SDL lib becomes available dosbox should be ready to run on pandora. Maybe if I get the lib soon there might be time to preview dosbox before the preorder, otherwise it should be available by the time the hw comes out.

Excellent news Pickle!

Since you don't have HW, do we have any indication of what DOS games it will be able to handle? I was specifically hoping to be able to tackle the first two elder scrolls games, but figured the second may be too heavy.

Again, great news :D

anexanhume said:
Excellent news Pickle!
Since you don't have HW, do we have any indication of what DOS games it will be able to handle?
1. Need SDL lib fro DJwillis
2. EvilDragon is willing and able to run on his dev board
3. Then we will know exactly whats runs and what doesnt

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
anexanhume said:
Excellent news Pickle!
Since you don't have HW, do we have any indication of what DOS games it will be able to handle?
1. Need SDL lib fro DJwillis
2. EvilDragon is willing and able to run on his dev board
3. Then we will know exactly whats runs and what doesnt

Sorry to make you repeat, I didn't know if you had any other info that would lead you to believe a certain performance level.

It's looking like we'll have a nice library of emus waiting for launch (dosbox, amiga, jaguar, picodrive, snes, psx and I assume some others like gba nes etc.)

anexanhume said:
Sorry to make you repeat, I didn't know if you had any other info that would lead you to believe a certain performance level.

The only thing we have to go by is the numbers Squidge did with final burn, which about 2-2.5x increase over the GP2X.

Absolutely great news!!

Could someone give some good dos games that did not run well on a GP2X but are most likely to do well on pandora? (were running at half/quarter speed for example) im not talking about a big list, just an indication of what to expect since i never owned a GP2X.

Cheers!

This is huge!

Thanks much for the effort! I was really encouraged by the semi-almost-nearly not quite playable framerates I received with FPS Football Pro on the psp, so, using a bizarre, almost incomparable frame of reference I imagine it will be playable on the pandora :)

Sorry for the incoherent ramblings.....but I can't wait to waste hours of my life trying old gems and waiting for each +1 frame iteration!

Awesome!
Thanks in advance Pickle.
I don´t mind the vids (probably) not coming till 30th.
Reading that you´re on track to release DosBox on the Pandora serves me well enough. :)

shodan said:
Awesome!
Thanks in advance Pickle.
I don´t mind the vids (probably) not coming till 30th.
Reading that you´re on track to release DosBox on the Pandora serves me well enough. :)

well i really like to know if its works or not, thats one reason I put off posting about it.
(Maybe now thats out, something will happen :rolleyes: )

Never really got into Dosbox on the GP2X, but it will be so sweet on Pandora :)
A gui would be a nice to have btw, although not necessary. I used to install Norton Commander on good old DOS :)

Thanks for the great work Pickle!
I use dosbox almost every day to play all those games from when I got my first pc.
I think Dangerous Dave is a safe bet for DosBox :)

Back