Dosbox Ready For Pandora

oblivioner said:
I would kill for Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall playable on Pandora. Also the Might and Magic series, it would be awesome, I hope Pandora can get them to decent speed, at least Arena and M&M III.
I play Daggerfall quite a lot on dosbox on my PC, but it needs at least 8k cycles (more is better). Arena is somewhat less demanding but is still pretty much unplayable at 3k cycles, perhaps if Pandora dosbox gets over 5k cycles one day then Arena might be playable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its done!
well I've got it running, it's working with all 3 cores. Only tried
duke1 and original wolf3d, duke seems to be fullspeed with all cores,wolf3d has stuttering sound during gameplay even with dynamic one @ 500MHz (other settings are left default). It is almost fullspeed @600MHz and 2000 cycles, with occasional hiccups.

Some things to take from Notaz's comments
1. Dynamic core works!
2. Wolf3d was not even playable on the GP2X, but is on the Pandora!
3. Thats with sound, it is SB/Adlib :) The stuttering could have been a buffer size. Also I suspect it was mixed at a freq of 22k and not 11k, which could help.
4. Not sure if 2000 cycles was the actual limit or if he could have gone higher. I expected it could go higher.
5. Running on unoptimized SDL

The binary is off to ED who I expect will do some more in depth testing and make some videos.

Will the extra RAM now added improve performance? Or is it just processor speed?

PoisonedV said:
Will the extra RAM now added improve performance? Or is it just processor speed?
Just processor speed. 128 mb was more than enough.

Confirmed it is indeed SB+Adlib sound running in wolf3d.

Very cool. DosBox is definitely on my list of things that the GP2X wasn't quite up for, but could be really great on the Pandora. :)

Great! Thanks for the update :D

I hope we do get some more testing and maybe even a video :) . 2000 cycles does seem a bit low when comparing it to other consoles (Although probably not an ideal thing to do), it would be good to know further about point 4.

Uprising said:
Great! Thanks for the update :D

I hope we do get some more testing and maybe even a video :) . 2000 cycles does seem a bit low when comparing it to other consoles (Although probably not an ideal thing to do), it would be good to know further about point 4.
Notaz has told me the performance was worse going any higher. Keep in mind this is will sb sound, if we turned that off it probably would allow more dosbox cycles.

Yeah, while i have lots of games that run much higher than 2000 (harvester, phantasmagoria, fallout, etc) i know many more that will run fine: rockstar, adventure, god of thunder,
now the question is... how will Halloween harry / alien carnage fare?

Got the binaries, just don't have time to do videos today.
Will look for some nice DOS Games during the weekend and then make some beginning of next week.

Very nice Pickle!

I'm really hoping to get some..

Civ (variations thereof .. Advanced Civ and so on)
Empire Deluxe
Wizardry, mostly wizardry 7 (Dark Savant)
etc..

I know theres a few 'lazy ports' out there, but thanks for sticking with it .. its not the same without your name in the credits ;)

jeff

gp2xs said:
If you would be so kind, please run this:

Rogue 1.49 by Epyx (DOS) - EpyxRogueDOS149.zip

http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/archiv...RogueDOS149.zip

Execute rogue.com not the exe.

Just walk around a bit.

Capital Q exits the game.

Thanks.

ha, whacky. Theres numerous roguelikes that would be playable..

But being linux, you get the real deals; Nethack, all the million rogue games, angband, etc. I wonder if Dwarf Fortress could be pulled over..

There'll be no end of roguelikes :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Very nice Pickle!
I know theres a few 'lazy ports' out there, but thanks for sticking with it .. its not the same without your name in the credits ;)
Thanks skeezix, im just like you guys I want to see what we could do with the hw before we get it. Cant wait to see some videos from ED :D

EvilDragon said:
Got the binaries, just don't have time to do videos today.
Will look for some nice DOS Games during the weekend and then make some beginning of next week.
Whoohooo!
Looking forward to this video.
Dosbox running on Pandora would be, would be......fuckin awesome :)

One game that think should be playable is blake stone, some of the settings like floor and roof might need to be turned off, but with wolf3d playable so should blake.

what was that game, revenge of the triads or something?! that game was awesome

edit - it was called rise of the triads, any chance of that?

silvercroc said:
edit - it was called rise of the triads, any chance of that?
Considering the game is now open source and has been ported to all sorts of systems, it's definitely a possibility for Pandora. Playing the original game under DOSBox, however, would probably be very slow.

Some other games that come mind are some of the original RTS games like warcraft1 and dune. These should be playable and will be fun with the touchscreen.

skeezix said:

There's a version of civ for the ST that runs very well on the GP2X in the emulator. Since the Pandora will be running X I expect someone will port freeciv across.

Klepto said:
skeezix said:

There's a version of civ for the ST that runs very well on the GP2X in the emulator. Since the Pandora will be running X I expect someone will port freeciv across.
Although i respect the work that has been done with freeciv, i really prefer the original. Dunno, it just plays different/better. (and i even have the original in german, and i am not)

The ST version.... damn that wasted weeks if not months of my life back in the days :rolleyes:

Back