Dosbox Ready For Pandora

Death rally will be incredible on the go, i love this game. I think is one of the best games ever made. Thanks for dosbox port, now we just need to wait for real launch of pandora.

MarkoeZ said:
Could someone give some good dos games that did not run well on a GP2X but are most likely to do well on pandora? (were running at half/quarter speed for example) im not talking about a big list, just an indication of what to expect since i never owned a GP2X.
I think X-Com: UFO Defense (Enemy Unknown in the US) is much anticipated.

I'm personally hoping for:

Buzz Aldrins Race into Space
One Must Fall 2097
Civilization I
Colonization
Master of Orion I
Dune I (would also work on Amiga/SegaCD)

A lot of the games that were flakey on DosBOX GP2x were not just speed issues. but also mouse issues. Hopefully we'll have both touchscreen and d-pad options for mousing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Pickle! DOSBox is one of the things I'm most looking forward to, because I grew up with DOS rather than video game consoles.
scrag_10 said:
We should start making a list of DOS games that are freeware now (not shareware).

edit: here is a great list http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html
some are still shareware though. like word rescue :(

That is a great list. Anything made by Apogee (now 3D Realms) in those days is worth playing.

Here's a wiki list of commercial games released as freeware (most of them seem to be DOS games):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comme...sed_as_freeware

I wonder if Star Control III would work? I'd love to play that game again (even though most of the SC2 fans hate it because they screwed with the plot, I still think it's a great game)

System requirements are:
MINIMUM HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS:
IBM or 100% compatible 486/66 MHZ, 2x CD-ROM Drive, 8MB RAM, 5MB Hard Drive Space
Windows 95, or DOS 5.0 or Higher
Music: Sound Blaster & Compatibles, General MIDI Compatibles
Voice and S/FX: Sound Blaster and Compatibles
VESA Compatible SVGA Video Card
Microsoft Compatible Mouse

RECOMMENDED:
Pentium/60 MHZ or Better
4x CD-Rom Drive or Better
65MB Hard Drive Space

OPTIONAL:
2 player Remote Hyper Melee: 9600 BPS or Faster Modem, Null Modem Connection, or IPX Compliant Network

i actually remember a friend playing x-com at the time, never really got to playing it myself though. Thx for the tip!

Think i'll look for it tomorrow. a good comparison and good fun after that :)

NICE! I love dosbox.

I have a handful of stuff I'd definitely want to fire up on this thing. Epic Pinball, maybe some old trackers like Digitrakker or whatever.

:-D

Great news, I can't wait to, eventually, play Master of Orion I on there; the touchscreen should probably work out great as a mouse input for that game (the buttons are rather large) B)

I forwarded the sixpair utility to ED so he could test it, but I haven't received the results from him yet... hes likely extremely busy. I wouldn't expect anything right away.

AireTamStorm said:
I forwarded the sixpair utility to ED so he could test it, but I haven't received the results from him yet... hes likely extremely busy. I wouldn't expect anything right away.

Did you really read what I wrote? I said i need the SDL lib for the final link, once I get that then ED can start.

Pickle said:
I was hoping some videos could be made before the preorder, but im not sure if it can happen by then.
So, basically once the SDL lib becomes available dosbox should be ready to run on pandora. Maybe if I get the lib soon there might be time to preview dosbox before the preorder...
Someone help that man!
Although I don´t mind not seeing pandora-dosbox-vids before preorder-start there certainly are others out there who might need those convincing "arguments in motion" ;)

im curious. Pickle, how will this work ? For the GP2X we need those configs and stuff, all a little bit complicated. Is it simpler this time ?

Lord_Doku said:
im curious. Pickle, how will this work ? For the GP2X we need those configs and stuff, all a little bit complicated. Is it simpler this time ?
DosBox needs config-files but I hope onto the Pandora there will be a nice frontend for Dosbox. And because we have a Touchscreen, a real Keyboard and 2 nice Analog Pads there should be a much better handling for this Emulator compared to the GP2X where you need a PC to set up the Config Files for each Game. :)

I plan to play "STUNTS" onto the Pandora, Full Speed should be possible at least I hope so. I wonder, if "Strike Commander" would run Full Speed onto the Pandora... :lol:

Lord_Doku said:

In general all of the same files are needed, unless some frontend is contructed.

Its setup the same way although to start with this version is going to be very much like the standard version, i.e no hacks.
Reason being we have a real keyboard, so all you need to do is map the real pandora keys to dobsox internal keys just like you would with a pc version. The joystick would only control the joystick operations, at the moment there is no mapping of joystick buttons to anything, this is contrary to the GP2X.
Once I get a pandora I put more time into improving controls and what not.

fusion_power said:
DosBox needs config-files but I hope onto the Pandora there will be a nice frontend for Dosbox. And because we have a Touchscreen, a real Keyboard and 2 nice Analog Pads there should be a much better handling for this Emulator compared to the GP2X where you need a PC to set up the Config Files for each Game. :)

I plan to play "STUNTS" onto the Pandora, Full Speed should be possible at least I hope so. I wonder, if "Strike Commander" would run Full Speed onto the Pandora... :lol:
stunts was game that i thought might be a good benchmark for dosbox

fusion_power said:
STUNTS rules!

Yeah... Stunts... Good times flying over the map after I hit something hard xD

And I'd really like to finaly complete Zeliard xD Never was able to do it (probably because I was like 7-8y.o.) xD

Hotcooler said:
Yeah... Stunts... Good times flying over the map after I hit something hard xD
Yeah. So true. Reading your text I remembered my crashes and the flying that followed :lol:

I really loved to build my own tracks with traps and hilarious jumps, so my friends were dying while trying them :D

Back