Dosbox Ready For Pandora

Yeah... I like those building tracks thing too. That's probably the reason I liked trackmania. For me it's just like Stunts, brings up some good memories.

And I'm really looking foward for DosBox. Mostly because since childhood I was pretty strictly a PC guy... Basicly my first home console was Xbox 360 :unsure:

Hotcooler said:
Yeah... I like those building tracks thing too. That's probably the reason I liked trackmania. For me it's just like Stunts, brings up some good memories.

And I'm really looking foward for DosBox. Mostly because since childhood I was pretty strictly a PC guy... Basicly my first home console was Xbox 360 :unsure:
I had a hand me down nintendo (3 games) and a gameboy (10 games), other than that its been pc's :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hotcooler said:
Look at it this way: That give's you a few 1000 console titles you have yet to play ;)

Im only responding to this post so it will be bumped back up to the top so ED or Craig or SOMEONE relevant may get to see it on page 1 instead of page 2. It's an important topic imo.

EDIT: stupid small eeepc keyboard. :lol:

Pickle will Dosbox have filters for games for extra smoothness?

Also will there be scale options?

Now this is asking a bit much could Dosbox have touch screen GUI?

Cheers

AireTamStorm said:
I forwarded the sixpair utility to ED so he could test it, but I haven't received the results from him yet... hes likely extremely busy. I wouldn't expect anything right away.
Eeerrrrm, I wrote back in an eMail that I don't have a PS3 controller for testing... and asking how I could help you then.
I checked my eMails, I can't find a reply to that...?

Last edited:
Master of Orion! ... I still play it from time to time today. It's just that good, in that if I don't touch it for a year and get bored and pick it back up I end up playing the damn thing for about a month straight, all re-addicted.

Anyway, a question ...

How possible would it be to play Tie Fighter via DOSBOX via PANDORA? ;)

I reckon it might be considerably difficult, unless you were able to somehow map a lot of commands to buttons. Darn near every button on the keyboard was used for something. I know the Pandora has a keyboard but when you're in a Tie Advanced with a squad of Tie Defenders trying to dust you off I'm not sure how that would work out.

I believe the game had mid-range 486 requirements. Ran beautifully on my old Pentium 60 with 8MB of RAM.

this is a strange question to ask but here I go. My xbox runs Dosbox with Blackthorne almost full speed. Would a 600MHZ Cortex processor be faster then the Xbox's 733MHZ CPU?

Just that blackthrone would run full speed if so, I'd be a very happy camper :)

Cheers

joshwaan2k said:

Cheers
The filters are standard with dosbox, even the gp2x has all of them. Of course we would never use them.

joshwaan2k said:
this is a strange question to ask but here I go. My xbox runs Dosbox with Blackthorne almost full speed. Would a 600MHZ Cortex processor be faster then the Xbox's 733MHZ CPU?

Cheers
The only thing that might give you an idea is to look at how many dosbox cycles it takes to run the game on the xbox. If its too high then theres probally no chance.

IMO you can use GPU for filering/resizing/resapling/smoothing e.t.c. Or atleast some shader written stuff to run on GPU.

That will make filters usable and there will be more resources for emulation.

Just a thought.

Hotcooler said:
IMO you can use GPU for filering/resizing/resapling/smoothing e.t.c. Or atleast some shader written stuff to run on GPU.

That will make filters usable and there will be more resources for emulation.

Just a thought.
Technically yes you could, it's possible we might be able to use opengl as the rendering method and let it do a bilinear blend on the picture. Im just not sure if the ES version will work the same as the normal opengl.
Although Im not too concerned since the screen on the pandora isnt that large, we could use a normal2x sw scalar if needed, I dont think it would be a big hit on the system.
Also I think DJwillis said he had hw scaling working within SDL.

Pickle said:
stunts was game that i thought might be a good benchmark for dosbox
Yupp, Stunts has also a nice 3D Intro and AFAIK a Demo-Mode, so it would be good for benchmarking. I haven't installed it onto my GP2X but I think it's far away from Full-speed there. ^^""

Another great 3D Dos Game that comes in my mind when I'm thinking onto "Stunts" is "Stunt Island", one of the most underestimated DOS Games of all Times. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunt_Island ) If this game would run onto the Pandora, then it would be a big reason to instantly install DosBox. :)

This is great news, one of the main reasons i'm after a pandora, gagging to play shadow of the comet on the move, not to mention indiana jones woot woot.

however, I currently use a programme called D-Fend Reloaded to run all my dos games, it's a front end app and is so easy to use, what are the odds of something like this being available on the pandora?

joshwaan2k said:

Cheers
Also, what version of DosBox is it? The speed increases greatly with each update (I can remember it being extremely noticeable when 0.72 came out).

Pickle said:
Basically i have 0.72 release source code + M-HT dynamic core compiled.
Slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd ask if you can make some quick here's-how-to-cross-compile instructions for users who know Linux but haven't yet delved into the complexities of CPU architectures yet, since you've seemed to have ploughed through. Nothing exists yet in the Wiki, so if you could at least get that section started it'd be much appreciated. :)

Pickle said:
joshwaan2k said:

Cheers
The filters are standard with dosbox, even the gp2x has all of them. Of course we would never use them.

joshwaan2k said:

Cheers
The only thing that might give you an idea is to look at how many dosbox cycles it takes to run the game on the xbox. If its too high then theres probally no chance.

Thanks for the reply Pickle

8000 Cycles in dosbox and it runs perfect I'd say. on the xbox 6500 is almost fullspeed for the game.

Very much looking forward to your port as well as playing the following full speed.

Doom
Canon Fodder
Sim City
Sim City 2000
Wolf 3D
Keen 1,2,3,4,5
Kings Quest 1,2,3,4
Black Thorne
Jazz Jackrabbit
Crystal Caves :)
Prince of Persia 1,2
Hocus Pocus
Test drive 2,3
Alone in the Dark 1,2,3
Larry series
hmm... my list will go on but I don't want to ramble :p

Can't wait :)

joshwaan2k said:
Thanks for the reply Pickle

8000 Cycles in dosbox and it runs perfect I'd say. on the xbox 6500 is almost fullspeed for the game.
Well if we can hit 8000 cycles i would be blown away. I was kind of expecting between 3000-4000.
Anyone have any idea how many cycles average a psp can handle using the dynamic core?

Back