Release DosBox EX - Ultimate

Oh my, I respect your decision to make some money with your program, but upgrading from the latest pre-donation version to the latest donation version left a bitter taste in my mouth. The functionality decreased and you show a pop-up with each start of DosBox.

I understand that you want something for new features, but instead you crippled existing features to a point where I don't want to use the "free" version any more.

I also noticed that the DosBox window behaves strange in XFCE and I can only move the window downwards, but not upwards.

What do you expect for a donation? 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5 USD? 10 USD?

yeah, splash screen will disappear in donation version. 

"The functionality decreased." <- This is serious disinformation for other people -> Can you explain what functionality is missing between previous versions and actual with popup window? If you mean that "The functionality decreased" because pop-up windows comes only once to inform You about 2 versions of dosbox ex, it shouldnt be called "functionality decrease"..

"I understand that you want something for new features, but instead you crippled existing features to a point where I don't want to use the "free" version any more.". <- This is serious disinformation for other people ->  No functionality was removed since previous version apart of that pop-up window. There is no real problem with one popup window that popups only ONCE when you run PND. 

"I also noticed that the DosBox window behaves strange in XFCE and I can only move the window downwards, but not upwards." -> this is a problem with xfce, and not with DB EX.  

"What do you expect for a donation? 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5 USD? 10 USD?" -> Its your decision, not mine. I expect donation, not fixed amount of money [like for a shareware / commercial program]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice program CB, thank you! I tried to play with Dark Seed, and encountered issues though. The intro plays fine, but when the adventure begins, the screen is just filled with garbage, and nothing happens. This is game plays fine on my PC Dosbox though. What is the current Dosbox version you are using for the Pandora implementation, please?

Nice program CB, thank you! I tried to play with Dark Seed, and encountered issues though. The intro plays fine, but when the adventure begins, the screen is just filled with garbage, and nothing happens. This is game plays fine on my PC Dosbox though. What is the current Dosbox version you are using for the Pandora implementation, please?
You've got HOTUD version which is bad cracked :/. Try to find other one.. DarkSeed plays excellent with touchscreen. Im playing in it. 

Oh, thank you very much. It is the French version, taken from Adandonware.fr. I was not even aware it was cracked, since it looked like a legal download.

Are there any future plans to map the left nub to the mouse movement, and the right nub to the mouse buttons as per the xfce OS?  I would happily donate if this was implemented - thanks

"The functionality decreased." <- This is serious disinformation for other people -> Can you explain what functionality is missing between previous versions and actual with popup window? If you mean that "The functionality decreased" because pop-up windows comes only once to inform You about 2 versions of dosbox ex, it shouldnt be called "functionality decrease"..

"I understand that you want something for new features, but instead you crippled existing features to a point where I don't want to use the "free" version any more.". <- This is serious disinformation for other people ->  No functionality was removed since previous version apart of that pop-up window. There is no real problem with one popup window that popups only ONCE when you run PND. 

"I also noticed that the DosBox window behaves strange in XFCE and I can only move the window downwards, but not upwards." -> this is a problem with xfce, and not with DB EX.  

"What do you expect for a donation? 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5 USD? 10 USD?" -> Its your decision, not mine. I expect donation, not fixed amount of money [like for a shareware / commercial program]
Well ...

• a while ago we had mouse support via the nubs, now we don't.
  • is it still possible to mount an ISO file?
  • is it still possible to add a manual or FAQ?
  • where did the "advanced option" to edit the DosBox config file go? (that option actually made it possible for me to play Deathgate without the mouse cursor offset problem)
And regarding the pop-up: Show it once after the first start, and then silence it forever (or show it in the "about" window). Right now, it is popping up every single time I open DosBox EX Ultmte (yes, typo again  ;) ). <- This is serious nagging of people ->

DosBox Ex is also the only program that I know of that has problems with XFCE. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bug in XFCE, but you ignoring XFCE is kind of bewildering to me (especially since all versions before the donation-version did work perfectly well).

On my phone, I have a lot of apps running that also come in free and donation variants. Some of them do offer little additional functionality for a donation, some of them don't give you anything extra at all! ... except for that warm feeling of having done something good. I donated/bought the apps that I use regularly, not to get the extra functionality, but because I think they were worth it and because I _wanted_ to support the developer. When I see a crippled program that nags me with a pop-up, I don't feel like donating at all! For me, this is not a matter of money, it is a matter of principle! Freedom is important to me and I react allergic to force.

Another thing that I personally don't like is having the shareware-version in the repo, while the full version is being distributed by you (at least to my understanding).

I would also like to state that I am offended by you insinuating that I misinform people! I still remember what the last really free version was capable of and what the latest version can't do any more.

Well ...

• where did the "advanced option" to edit the DosBox config file go? (that option actually made it possible for me to play Deathgate without the mouse cursor offset problem)
And regarding the pop-up: Show it once after the first start, and then silence it forever (or show it in the "about" window). Right now, it is popping up every single time I open DosBox EX Ultmte (yes, typo again  ;) ). <- This is serious nagging of people ->

DosBox Ex is also the only program that I know of that has problems with XFCE. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bug in XFCE, but you ignoring XFCE is kind of bewildering to me (especially since all versions before the donation-version did work perfectly well).

On my phone, I have a lot of apps running that also come in free and donation variants. Some of them do offer little additional functionality for a donation, some of them don't give you anything extra at all! ... except for that warm feeling of having done something good. I donated/bought the apps that I use regularly, not to get the extra functionality, but because I think they were worth it and because I _wanted_ to support the developer. When I see a crippled program that nags me with a pop-up, I don't feel like donating at all! For me, this is not a matter of money, it is a matter of principle! Freedom is important to me and I react allergic to force.

Another thing that I personally don't like is having the shareware-version in the repo, while the full version is being distributed by you (at least to my understanding).

I would also like to state that I am offended by you insinuating that I misinform people! I still remember what the last really free version was capable of and what the latest version can't do any more.
Danielm,

If you took the time to try the program, you would have realized that no function have been removed. Except for nub mouse movements, which donators do not have either. Check your facts... At any rate, CB is working on that right now. You should also spend a couple minutes reading through the topic before making statements. That would save everybody aggravation...

Functionalities have been added for donating users, but the base program remains the same & is quite useable as it is. As for the nagging screen, live with it. If you can't press a button every time you launch a program, why are you even using a Pandora. Get a 3ds or something.

So yeah, you are misinforming potential users & are looking obnoxious to people in the process.

As an alternative, learn how to program & code a wonderful version of Dosbox for all of us. Just be ready for obnoxious comments along the way.

Well ...

You dont listen , dont you? And* it seems that you didnt tried new versions of dosbox exm becuase

- Yes , you CAN STILL MOUNT ISO FILES [but only one, this was the same as previous versions] [freeware and donator version]

- Yes, you CAN ADD A MANUAL FAQ [put 01.txt] [freeware and donator version]

- Advanced options was for me , for debugging and testing [thats wy it stays R/O and Hidden], and was never intended to be released as a standard function for freeware version [You do forget that this option was very well hidden, right? http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/14409-dosbox-ex-ultimate/#entry276516 ]

- Nubs as a mouse in dosbox are broken thats why the're disabled for now. [both freeware and donator version]

I donated/bought the apps that I use regularly, not to get the extra functionality, but because I think they were worth it and because I _wanted_ to support the developer.
I dont recall you do any donation for dosbox v1 - v13 [and DosBox EX is here since 2011] previously, even if you used this program for a long time [and you're still using it (previous version) to play DeathGate, as you mentioned in previous post]

Two years have passed between old and new version of EX Lanucher. You dont seems to be in hurry to donate. I wonder if you donate anything to any dev that do coding/ports for free for OP community..  *

For me, this is not a matter of money, it is a matter of principle! Freedom is important to me and I react allergic to force.

So what is your problem here? Want a free program with functions / options YOU WANT/NEED? Yeah, write it on yourself.. [and spend on it hours] then release it for free and deal with similar-to-you people more often.. and then you willl be free like "freedom", and will not be "forced" by anyone anywhere..

And regarding the pop-up: Show it once after the first start, and then silence it forever (or show it in the "about" window). Right now, it is popping up every single time I open DosBox EX Ultmte
This is the price that you need to pay for not supporting a developer in anyway [sending bug reports, helping with deving app by donation or sending propositions for new functions] and generally if you dnot care i dont care either. I didnt received any bug reports from you, nor propositions for new add ons.. so why i should care what you need?

On my phone, I have a lot of apps running that also come in free and donation variants. Some of them do offer little additional functionality for a donation, some of them don't give you anything extra at all! .
If you dont know, im in hurry to inform you, that you're paying for "free" phone apps with your private data like email address / paypal address [and more..] and you're accepting it to use in commercial purposes for developer (sending mass emails). "Free" apps have banners as well when you're connecting to net, and that stuff generates money for developer. [check Google Play Store..]

And finally. This is a donation software, not shareware. If you think its worth donate, you will donate any anount YOU WANT and you will receive extra functions that was prepared for other people who make a donate, as well. If it's not fair for You, then maybe ED should give OpenPandora for free from very beginning, dont you think ? If you cant understand that any devs for OP spends crazy amount of free time to make apps/games/port and one hour of work is fairy 300-500% bigger that single common donation you should undestand that donating heve should be commonly spread and acceptable, if you use somebody's else work for free.

Maybe its me , but i think you should release some stuff for any system , and taste how's like to be on other side ..

*- too harsh

You dont listen , dont you? And it seems that you didnt tried new versions of dosbox exm becuase

- Yes , you CAN STILL MOUNT ISO FILES [but only one, this was the same as previous versions] [freeware and donator version]

- Yes, you CAN ADD A MANUAL FAQ [put 01.txt] [freeware and donator version]

- Advanced options was for me , for debugging and testing [thats wy it stays R/O and Hidden], and was never intended to be released as a standard function for freeware version [You do forget that this option was very well hidden, right? http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/14409-dosbox-ex-ultimate/#entry276516 ]

- Nubs as a mouse in dosbox are broken thats why the're disabled for now. [both freeware and donator version]

No, listening is not what I usually do  ;)

Sorry for writing all that crap ...

If you dont know, im in hurry to inform you, that you're paying for "free" phone apps with your private data like email address / paypal address [and more..] and you're accepting it to use in commercial purposes for developer (sending mass emails). "Free" apps have banners as well when you're connecting to net, and that stuff generates money for developer. [check Google Play Store..]
No, I don't "pay" for "free" phone apps. Private data is safe with XPrivacy, there are free apps that don't collect data and show ads and then there is something that is even crazier than all this, it's called "Opensource" ... you should look it up!  ;)

@ldaneels: Please don't full-quote long postings, that reduces the readability of the forum.

Also, thanks everyone for all your suggestions and good arguments, I appreciate it!  :wub:

OK, now. PM solves everything.

return to topic:

I'm currently at implementing the dosbox function keys [shutdown / mouse click and more..] to virtual mapper in GUI

New version in repo:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=dosbox-ex-app

- various bugfixes [for both donators ed + freeware]
  * - games list window focusing
  * - oneliner purge - fix [donators edition] - OneLiner is a textfield where you can type anything you want. Every game has own oneliner. If you want to  add some essential info [for example, where you finish last game, or where solution for the game could be found, or type-in high scores, if you like.]
  * - many other

- new apps added to tools [E: drive]
 * - XTC Module Player** [start by typing 'xtc']
 * - Views 
 * - Original Dos Navigator [start by typing 'dn']
 * - CDP - CD Player [when mounted cue with CD-Audio tracks] [start by typing 'cdp']

- useless apps removed from tools [E: drive]
 * - sea, pict, edit, dn osp [to slow], FM, FC

- Keys remapped:

Keys in DosBox EX GUI:

- ENTER/Start [CTRL] - Play Game
  - Select [ALT]/Right Shoulder - View ScreenShot
  - F1 - View info / help
  - F5 - Rename game directory - [Donators edition]

Keys in DosBox EX [default DosBox EX Mapper]:

- [Left Shoulder] + ENTER => correct fullscreen aspect [please use it!]
  - [Left + Right Shoulder Button] + Q => Quit DosBox 
  - [Left + Right Shoulder Button] + P => Pause
  - [Left + Right Shoulder Button] + I => Swap Image
  - [Left + Right Shoulder Button] + M => Mapper
  - [Left + Right Shoulder Button] + R => restart DosBox EX
  - [Left Shoulder Button] + ; + Fn => :
  - [Left + Right Shoulder Button] + 1..0 => numeric keyboard 
  - [Left Shoulder Button] + W => Right Mouse Click  
  - D-Pad + A/X/B/Y => Arrows + CTRL/ALT/SHIFT/SPACE
  - DOS Joystick is mapped to D-Pad + A/B

BTW. To use new tools remove old TOOLS directory from dosbox ex config directory

** - Basicly now you can not only play games but listen to all various modules from PC/Amiga scene [ http://modarchive.org/ ] . Just drom a new directory in dosbox ex games directory with some fresh unpacked MODs and then run DOSBOX EX. To run player just type 'xtc'

Back