Release DosBox EX v9 - In repo

commander-beef

Very Active Member
DosBox EX v9

Screen:

01.png

Whats new in v9

+ 01.bat files are now auto-created while 01.bat is not found on first game load [try to re-run game to check 01.bat is created].

Please edit this 01.bat and type the executable required to run the game instead of renaming exec's/com's to 01.exe / 01.com.

+ Additional manual & screen feature:

If You put 01.png [640x480x256] [gamescreen] and 01.txt [with manual / faq / solution] into the gamefolder. To view manual type 'manual' in dosbox. To view gamescreen type 'screen' in dosbox [of course you'll need 01.png and 01.txt files there]

BTW. Manual & Screen feature can be tested using included in DXBX EX CC game called Electro.Body/Electro.Man

+ Added another virtual drive [E:] with some utilities

Download:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=dosbox-ex-app

BTW. I might add savestates in DXBX v10 if i find some time ..some day. 

BTW. v2. Just checked BLOOD in very small window on dosbox ex. What a joy to finally play this game on OP.. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
kickass thanks a lot for the update. savestates would be great, still very new to dos box. being dyslexic and can't spell to save my life dos was never my friend and would drive me crazy but now i have them up and running but darksun doesn't keep the saved game. but then again i'am sure i just missed or messed somting up. thanks again for the update

ps was wondering were's the BEEF?? glade to see your still around

Just a quick sheet  how to add games / manuals / boxarts to every game..

BTW. Since v9 DB EX accepts only 01.bat's , and not like previously 01.exe's and 01.com's. 

if DB EX will not find 01.bat in directory it will be autocreated. User needs only edit this 01.bat to match game executable.

Code:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adding new games to DosBox:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

create "roms" directory in [sdcard]/pandora/appdata/dosbox-ex-ura/
put games in there 

example:

/dosbox-ex-ura/roms
                |--Larry.1.vga   [Directory]
                |       |-- After first run 01.bat file will be created. Type in game executable and save.
                |
                |--Civilisation  [Directory]
                |       |-- After first run 01.bat file will be created. Type in game executable and save.
                |
                |--Lotus.3       [Directory]

to automount CD to drive to D: put iso file:

/dosbox-ex-ura/roms
                |--Larry.1.vga
                |       |-- 01.iso
                |
                |-- Gabriel.Knight.CD
                |       |-- 01.iso

to go onto d drive you'll need to create d.bat with content "d:" 
then just type in doxbox "d" to jump to drive d:

or press Fn Key + Shift [left trigger] + ; [on keyboard] to get ":"

/dosbox-ex-ura/roms
                |--Larry.1.vga
                |       |-- 01.iso
                |       |-- d.bat
                |
                |
                |-- Gabriel.Knight.CD
                |       |-- 01.iso                
                |       |-- d.bat
                |

Adding FAQs/Manuals/Other Stuff to every game:

example:

/dosbox-ex-ura/roms
                |--Gabriel.Knight.CD
                |       |-- 01 [Directory with various content (pictures in png/jpg/gif format)]
                |       |    |-- scan.jpg
                |       |    |-- manual.png
                |       |    |-- other.gif
                |       |
                |       |-- 01.iso
                |       |-- 01.bat
                |       |-- 01.txt [here you can add faq / manual / walkthough / other]
                |       |-- 01.png [here you can add for example boxart for game]

and then you can: 
- view boxart by typing "screen"
- view scans from 01 directory by typing "scans"
- view faq/manual/walkth b typing "manual"

BTW. Take a look how easily it is done with 3 sample games* included with DosBox EX

* - On Creative Commons License

Problems / Troubleshoting:

If You experiencing problems with dos joystick config, you can disable it by typing:
CONFIG -set "joysticktype=none"
in dosbox window or in 01.bat file

Enabling joystick is also easy, just type:
CONFIG -set "joysticktype=2axis"

Is it just me, or this new version crashes at start somehow? I get the first splash screen and then it comes back to desktop. I erased the appdata folder and still the same thing.

ekianjo try to check your sd card for errors. might be that youre out of space on sdcard (on first run dxbx extracting fem mb's of dos tools) or your card is in readonly mode..

btw in next update dxbx ex will support .cue files as well (for cd games that have cd in mixed mode like savage warriors cd / teenagent cd).

automounting cue files will be as easy as mounting iso file just drop cue into folder as '01.cue' and thats it :)

ekianjo try to check your sd card for errors. might be that youre out of space on sdcard (on first run dxbx extracting fem mb's of dos tools) or your card is in readonly mode..
Will try on another card, but the previous version was working fine and I could install other applications fine recently on the same card, so I am not sure if that is the actual root cause.

Will try on another card, but the previous version was working fine and I could install other applications fine recently on the same card, so I am not sure if that is the actual root cause.

is there any hint in /tmp *out file ?

yeah, a few. GtK warning : Locale not supported by C library.

Using the fallback C locale

removing conf

rm: cannot remove dosbox-SVN.conf: no such file or directory

rm: cannot remove pre.txt: no such file or directory

aborting...

Not sure what is happening.

It seems to start up and launch stuff, but in this version the imgmount command is no longer recognized, so my Crusader profile no longer works, as I can't mount the CD.

Loonie try to drop your crusader cd as 01.iso .. or 01.cue + 01.iso and it will be automounted as D:

btw.

i'll try to revert back imgmount command..

new version in repo. now imagemount should work 

and:

Now You can use *.cue files as well in mixed mode. Just put 01.cue + 01.iso [and edit 01.cue file to point to 01.iso file] and it will be used by DXBX EX instead of plain *.iso. Its good for dos games that vahe data + cd audio in one CD.

New in v9.0.0.8:
- Completely new autocreated-on-firstrun 01.bat file with real easy to navigate menu. If you want to use new menu, delete old 01.bat file from game directory. From menu you can edit 01.bat file easily now and add executable gamefile easily.
- Few adjustments to wrapper

- Added mouse rightclick under left + right shoulder button + fn

btw. please check new autocreating 01.bat file with MENU and tell me what ya think..
btw v2. to check how everything works from the start delete all dosbox-ex-ura directory and run fresh version of dxbx ex

A little sneak peek of new feature:

GameScreen preview directly from EX Launcher [this should be included in new version of DXBX EX, soon]

Video how it works:

Back