Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blah

Wanna Be Programmer
Website
Visit site
I'm working on some web development stuff and you guys are the smartest people I know of (seriously...), so I want to know what you think.

I know that for some JS is an abomination. Others don't care. What do you think?

Of course, I believe that all sites should have graceful degradation in mind, and mine would of course be no exception.

The site is going to be highly interactive and cutting edge. Like flash but without the flash (and of course even cooler).

I want to show people how the internet could be. Also I want to make myself look good...this will be my digital portfolio.

I have some wild ideas floating around in my head as to how I'm going to accomplish that, but I think I can do it. I know it might involve SVG (which could be converted to VML in IE with XSLT), and other technologies such as SMIL (which could be emulated in Javascript and XSLT in browsers that do not support it) all built on top of HTML or XHTML. So to make everything work on the big 3 (or 4) browsers DOM access in Javascript would be necessary.

But of course the browsers capabilities would be detected server side and worse case scenario it would fall back to a non-interactive page built in pure HTML and CSS with accessibility in mind.

I don't know what I should serve to search engines though. I could serve the full edition seeing as all that stuff is text based and completely search engine parseable, then again the fallback edition would probably also work just as good and save some bandwidth.

As this stuff is new to me, I don't know which company(s) would be best to go with for hosting and domain parking. I cannot host it myself...it isn't possible to get enough bandwidth out here.

JavaScript seems too dangerous to be activated. Especially the combination (JavaScript + Java plugin + Flash plugin + xxx Plugin) can enable any random website to do weird stuff with your computer.
A seemingly harmless link can force you to shut down or reset your computer while you are working on somthing important.

BTW, don't click on it, it's really dangerous. Very really dangerous.

I use NoScript, so only authorised websites have Java(script) enabled, the rest are disabled by default.

Squidge said:
I use NoScript, so only authorised websites have Java(script) enabled, the rest are disabled by default.
Same here, its a smart thing to do.
And it doesn't only help security, it also blocks most of those real annoying flashy stuff and some ads adblock didn't catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah said:
The site is going to be highly interactive and cutting edge. Like flash but without the flash (and of course even cooler).

I want to show people how the internet could be. Also I want to make myself look good...this will be my digital portfolio.

I have some wild ideas floating around in my head as to how I'm going to accomplish that, but I think I can do it. I know it might involve SVG (which could be converted to VML in IE with XSLT), and other technologies such as SMIL (which could be emulated in Javascript and XSLT in browsers that do not support it) all built on top of HTML or XHTML. So to make everything work on the big 3 (or 4) browsers DOM access in Javascript would be necessary.

But of course the browsers capabilities would be detected server side and worse case scenario it would fall back to a non-interactive page built in pure HTML and CSS with accessibility in mind.

I don't know what I should serve to search engines though. I could serve the full edition seeing as all that stuff is text based and completely search engine parseable, then again the fallback edition would probably also work just as good and save some bandwidth.

As this stuff is new to me, I don't know which company(s) would be best to go with for hosting and domain parking. I cannot host it myself...it isn't possible to get enough bandwidth out here.
Still my favorite for cutting edge xml/xslt sites:
http://cocoon.apache.org/

Simon Parzer said:
JavaScript seems too dangerous to be activated. Especially the combination (JavaScript + Java plugin + Flash plugin + xxx Plugin) can enable any random website to do weird stuff with your computer.
A seemingly harmless link can force you to shut down or reset your computer while you are working on somthing important.

I clicked - you can get out of with with a Ctrl-W. I don't disable Javascript - you miss quite a lot of cool AJAX stuff if you do - but I do disable Java because it's horrific :)

Blah said:
This paragraph is AWESOME.

As for your question, I have Javascript disabled.

i have got a java script blocker in firefox thats great it doesnt display any anoying adverts or popups

tim0391 said:
i have got a java script blocker in firefox thats great it doesnt display any anoying adverts or popups
You mean NoScript? Or AdBlock?

Mosch said:
Blah said:
This paragraph is AWESOME.

As for your question, I have Javascript disabled.

Thanks for that :) As for the VML from SVG through XSLT thing, I have proof of concept code (so far only rects are implemented). Others have done the same thing in Javascript, but I think my XSLT code will be better and faster.

Also when finished, all one would have to do to make an SVG work in IE would be:
CODE

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="svg2vml.xsl"?> <-- add this
<svg
xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" <-- remove this

And I think I can make Apache do that for me.

Also SMIL is cool because it should be a cinch to turn SVG <animate> tags into SMIL using XSLT. And IE supports SMIL (strangely, its the only browser I know of which does natively).

By the way, does anyone know of a good site for Apache beginners?

On most of my computers I have javascript disabled through firefox's NoScript addon and just enable it on sites that don't appear to be working correctly. I've not bothered with it on my mac though, so everything is nice and free to run.
I also have adblock running on all the computers, with several feeds.

For hosting I use PipeTen. They are relatively cheap and offer great support. I've emailed them late at night and they've replied within 10 or 15 minutes telling me exactly what I wanted to know.

BTW, is this site your working on going to literally be a proof of concept, or are you aiming to develop a framework for other people to use?

EDIT: PS, if you do decide to use pipe10 please let me know so I can give you a referrer link :p

Javacat said:
BTW, is this site your working on going to literally be a proof of concept, or are you aiming to develop a framework for other people to use?

Well at first the code will just be mine and private. Later I might develop a framework and release it...I don't know. I might get lazy and only implement what I need.

What really looks good though is that native SMIL support is on the roadmap for FF 3.0, and native SVG support is on the roadmap for IE 8.0.

Blah said:
I know that for some JS is an abomination.
Shouldn't mix executable content with data...

Others don't care.
They should...

What do you think?
They are window$ programmers...
I voted 'no' by the way (I suck so much). :(

Simon Parzer said:

Thanks I actually had to Kill Mozilla for that.

S'A Good one.

Besides Executable Content mixing with code is the Java / C# / JS-AJAX / Flash / Everything cool Way! :lol:

P.S. SVG + Canvas = Flash-lite (minus annoying sound, actually anyone here know how to do plugin-less sound??)

Pluginless sound...hmmm.

In IE you could probably use SMIL. In others Javascript *might* be able to do it.

Blah said:
Pluginless sound...hmmm.

In IE you could probably use SMIL. In others Javascript *might* be able to do it.
Nope... Javascript can't do that on its own. Looking strictly from a bandwidth and compatibility point of view, a Java applet seems to be the way to go. Then I could use whatever format I like within reason (Speex looks good).

Back