[Poll] Which Open Handheld Do You Use At Least Once A Week?

Which open handheld do you use at least once a week (>1h)?

• Total voters

Ziz

Advanced Member
Hi,

I wonder a long time, whether old handhelds like the gp2x or the gp32 are still in use and whether WIZ, Caanoo, Dingoo or Pandora have more people using them weekly.
I think, if you use a handheld once a week for at least one hour, it is part of your daily live.
I want to know, why you use this or this handheld (or don't use it), too.
If you use your iphone, android-gadget, psp or some other non-open device you should choice "Other" (too).
If you wait for your pandora and don't own any other handheld, please choice just "None".

I really look forward to hear your personal statements, what you use, and to see the poll result. :)

I begin. As some of you know, I just own a gp2x. There are two reasons.
  1. I do not have enough money for a new handheld
  2. My gp2x is enough for my requirements. And there are still emulators or games I didn't test yet. :)
Furthermore I can use it for audio (often) and video (seldom, e.g. at bus or train with large distances). I have new "ready to use"-accumulators, which give me 3h power, what is still enough, because I always have some replacement accus :) And I hope I will get a 16 GB SDHC Card soon. Then I will test some of the bigger games like Genesis CD or ScummVM. :-D

greetings, Ziz

s9ZQs.png

ZCRH0.jpg

Wow, I though all the pandora-only-guys are now in the openpandora-board.
I wonder, how this ends. :)

I asked the same question in the German board, too, and - until now - there a another scene. But I think, I have to wait. ^^

None.

My GP2x has needed its headphones socket soldering on for about 2 years and I haven't cared enough to fix it (as I haven't wanted to use it). The thing chews through batteries like Michelle McManus chews through cake, and I don't really have much inclination to use it anyway.

My GP32 has a cracked screen protector I need to get fixed at some point, but again I have no real inclination to use it.

I don't own any of the more modern, fangled homebrew consoles.

I use most of my handhelds pretty regularly. Although I do not necessarily use all of them every week, I have all in a usable state. I like to use the GP2X to play homebrew games (Ruckage's games are really great and that tower defense game sqdef for the GP2X is nice too, to name a few). I also use my Dingoo for homebrew gaming and of course as a music player with Gmu. Then I've got the Pandora which I do not use as much for gaming, but more for other things. You may know about my Arch Linux efforts on the Pandora, for example.
I also have other handhelds (Ben Nanonote and Zipit Z2), which I use for Linux hacking and development mostly.

I use my Caanoo whenever I have a few spare minutes, when I want to play some SNES and I don't feel like plugging my SNES in, or when I drop my Game Gear from a height of six feet and knock out a choke coil :(. I also use it for music, LSDJ, and LGPT. I use my backlit gbp more often these days. I'd use the Caanoo for web browsing or streaming radio, but since I don't have a WLAN dongle, I can't. Instead, I use my PSP 3000, which works quite well for web browsing, streaming radio, checking my email, and other internet-related activities. In fact, even typed this message out on my PSP.

I play my Caanoo every two or three days. i just love the form factor of the thing.

Hi ziz,

Strange. In the German board the WIZ (yet) is in the lead although the WIZ section is pretty quiet.
I voted WIZ for a simple reason: It's my only handheld.
I came across the GP2x-F200 in a linux magazine on my way to Seoul. I spent hours running around in electronic malls in search of a dealer.
I didn't know they are only available via webshops. When I found out, it was too late - fortunately. I ordered my WIZ in the first batch.
And I really like it. :rolleyes:
I thought of buying a Caanoo but my wife wouldn't surrender the WIZ.
Well, life's hard. :lol:

rds

kasi

I still use my GP32. I thought the Pandora would replace it, but the GP32 boots up quicker, is physically lighter to hold and the frontlit screen is easier on the eyes, so I use it for reading ebooks (with GPBook) and for emulating some low-end systems like Gameboy, Master System, NES and sometimes Genesis.

I also took it with me on my vacation to Tajikistan last summer.

It would get even more use if the diagonals still worked. I remember there was some sort of way to fix that by opening up the case, so maybe I'll risk it one of these days.

I'm using the Pandora more these days, although it hasn't quite settled into a pattern yet, because things are still evolving. The GP32 is more familiar because I'm no longer confused by it, but I'm still confused sometimes with the Pandora.

(Edit: just as a placeholder, I'm adding a link to the German poll, for future reference)

Ziz said:
Wow, I though all the pandora-only-guys are now in the openpandora-board.
I wonder, how this ends. :)
Well, I'm not planning to move; I like the atmosphere here better. Maybe it's due to the higher proportion of devs. The other boards seem a bit loud and poorly-moderated, like these ones used to be before Craig fired us. ;) Part of it is also that I don't really trust Craig to manage a community in the long run (though I'm sure he's trying), so I think these boards are in more capable hands.

P.S. Does anyone else think that when there's more than one choice allowed in a forum poll, the percentages of the poll should be shown as a fraction of the people who voted, not of the total number of votes?

So if 21 people voted and 8 voted for Pandora, that should be 38%, not 26.67% as the forum shows it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back