Dec Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
mali said:
Well, I don't think you need to be a uber-hacker to be able to add a battery and update the OS later on ;)
In the meantime it might be enough to place it on a pedestal and admire it for an extended period of time :lol:

I don't know, adding the battery later on may require the use of a screwdriver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
mali said:
Well, I don't think you need to be a uber-hacker to be able to add a battery and update the OS later on ;)
In the meantime it might be enough to place it on a pedestal and admire it for an extended period of time :lol:

I don't know, adding the battery later on may require the use of a screwdriver.

:lol:
A hammer might work for some :blink:

Well personally I hope that the hacker versions will not be given lightly, just like the devboards. I'm assuming that's going to be the case, because I don't think someone should get an early Pandora just so they can play Quake 2 on the go whenever they're near a handy powersocket. :rolleyes:

I mean, I'm developing a game for the Pandora and I don't think I'd qualify for this one, there's just no real good I can do with an early Pandora besides jumping ahead in the queue a bit.

Eniko said:
Well personally I hope that the hacker versions will not be given lightly, just like the devboards. I'm assuming that's going to be the case, because I don't think someone should get an early Pandora just so they can play Quake 2 on the go whenever they're near a handy powersocket. :rolleyes:

I mean, I'm developing a game for the Pandora and I don't think I'd qualify for this one, there's just no real good I can do with an early Pandora besides jumping ahead in the queue a bit.
It should be devs and devs only (regardless if it's games/apps/emulators) The Pandora is going to need software, and devboards have been sent out for the mission critical stuff, so it makes sense (to me at least) that we can get some other apps/games etc ready for the rest of the users... Anyway it would be nice to get some clarification on this. I know that some of the PandoraPanic! minigame submitters expressed an interest in possibly getting the game built-in for release units, I'm only trying my best at every step to make that possible...

It's also my opinion that if normal end users use this just to get a Pandora early... what on earth would they have to play? :blink:

Eniko said:
craigix said:
In slightly better news it's possible we might be able to ship some units reasonably soon to those of you who are more the hacker type, these units may come without a battery and with a beta OS installed, the battery could be sent on at a later date at the postage cost.

Am I the only one who's concerned this bit will have people clamoring for them as some sort of "omg I get my Pandora earlier" open beta version, which I don't think it's supposed to be?

Why can't it be open beta? Without any more information given that could easily be the case. Maybe everything is expected to be in stock except batteries and there's nothing left to do but finish the software. I guess it depends on what "reasonably soon" is.

Eniko said:
Am I the only one who's concerned this bit will have people clamoring for them as some sort of "omg I get my Pandora earlier" open beta version, which I don't think it's supposed to be?

Mayble Craig could set up something where people who feel they should have a hacker version write a small paragraph (nothing too long, no essay-length stuff here) explaining exactly WHY they feel they should get a 'hacker' version (beta OS/without battery) before everyone else gets the 'final' model (full OS/with battery).

Like this guy did:
YokoZar said:
If it can arrive by next week, I'd like to request one of these for myself.

I am an Ubuntu developer (Scott Ritchie), and next week is the Ubuntu Developer Summit. With Ubuntu now having an official ARM port, it would be very nice to have one of these devices to showcase to the other developers at the summit, especially the mobile team. I have no doubt I can get more developers interested in making it (and all packages for it) working well.

Obviously it's not going to be available for next week (although maybe he should get a dev board), but that is the type of thing people could do for a hacker version, to weed out those who are just going 'OMG I WANT MY PANDORA NOW' so that only those who truly deserve one, get one.

Personally, I can wait for my P, I don't need a 'hacker' version.

tazg said:
Maybe everything is expected to be in stock except batteries

Just sayin'..... ;)

emcp said:
mmm it looks better in black
however i was getting use to the pandora, the box shape style, this design it all right but a bit fugly, another idea is see the top, its like a small rectangle ontop of a large rectangle,

what might look better, as the edges are to sharp for were they are positioned, is to change the rectangles into a more rounded rectangle at the corners, so, so the edges are a bit more gradual, it will also give it a unique look, that old sharp beveled kind of edge i hate, make the corncers of the rectangle more rounder and it will look great

but the looks now are ok, just not good

thanks,
id also prefer that the plastic around the screen was worked on, it looks cheap with the circles, more the screws i presume, make it flatter,
thanks
lidside.png

It actually is more blended and gradual. It is not really "a small rectangle ontop of a large rectangle" those edges you are seeing are blended radii (see pic). It just may look like a "facet" or "bevel" because of the way the bright area got washed out. CAD programs are not the best for rendering. There are no bevels, only smooth elliptical radii on the top.

Those holes around the screen for screws will be covered up. Don't worry we aren't going to leave screw heads showing, that would be really unfinished looking.

If there is e Pandora-Bag in Stock why dont we get any info about them

Is it just me, or is the tenor of this update really looking to soften the blow for further, and possibly quite extended, delays? :)

Must be the cynic in me I guess :p

I'll still be getting a Pandora, but the delay is certainly frustrating (even though it can be explained away by a number of external factors) - try as all of us may to gloss over the cracks, the longer the delay, the more Pandora's future prospects will suffer, which would be a real shame really.

Cheers
Simon

I wouldn't mind getting one with close to no software, what I planned to start with anyway is to get maemo applications up and running. And I've no problems with building kernels either. But no battery could possibly be a hassle.

Tor said:
I wouldn't mind getting one with close to no software, what I planned to start with anyway is to get maemo applications up and running. And I've no problems with building kernels either. But no battery could possibly be a hassle.
Someone give this guy a Pandora, now!

Tor said:

Surely if your going to be using them for dev purposes, they are going to be strapped to a PC anyway, so you don't want to waste the battery even if you did have one?

Surely if your going to be using them for dev purposes, they are going to be strapped to a PC anyway, so you don't want to waste the battery even if you did have one?

I explained that in another thread as well - until I read that thread I didn't think the Pandora could run on a power supply alone. The Nokia internet tablet can't run on AC alone, the battery must be in. This is common for other mobile devices like mobile phones too, although (fortunately) not for laptops. Thus my concern, which seems to not be an issue after all! :D

EDIT: Added missing quote etc.

I don't like the new design. The round just looks kind of weird (might just be the color) and now it looks even more like a DS (and vice versa. My mother called my DS Lite "pandora" the other day)

The rounded corners will be _way_ nicer to my jacket inside pocket (anyone with a jacket will know what kind of thin cloth those pockets are made of), so I'm happy with the case design change.

Kyosys said:
I don't like the new design. The round just looks kind of weird (might just be the color) and now it looks even more like a DS (and vice versa. My mother called my DS Lite "pandora" the other day)
I guess you talk a lot about it to your family? :rolleyes:
I do too :p

I kinda liked the old design, I don't see much of a use by curving the top and not the bottom though, your hands are going to be holding the bottom.

Kloplop321 said:
I kinda liked the old design, I don't see much of a use by curving the top and not the bottom though, your hands are going to be holding the bottom.
If you curve the bottom, you will have to raise the overall dimensions, else the innards wouldn't fit in the case any more ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back