Death

cactusbin

Still Fresh
When the GP3Y comes out, do you think devs will completely abandon the gp2x? Do you think most emulators will be perfected by then? Do you think the PSX emulator will be as finished as it will ever be before then?

Speaking seriously it will depend on how user-friendly the new machine is compared to the GP2X, among other things (controls, screen etc). If it offers everything to the same or a better standard than the GP2X does, plus the obvious jump in horsepower then yes, you may see an abandonment take place. Time will tell although I'd be buying the new machine if I were you.

my guess is that it's going to be a while before the 2x-reaper is out, and if the f200 is decent then there might be a bit of a resurgence in gp2x software. not that it's stopped. psx is still actively worked on, and there's a new dev there, and i'm guessing they'll have something to show before the new system is out. no one knows except the great zoltan. start saving now so that you can get both!

As I've said before, I'm not giving up development for the GP2X unless some one donates a GP3X to me :)

I can't justify spending a load more money on yet another console, the GP2X is good enough.

Edit: Changed in light of following reply - same comments still apply.

The F-200 and the GP3x are different consoles. We've been given info on the F-200 (touchscreen and different "d-pad" but mostly the same GP2x).
We've yet to hear about the GP3x, though rumour and speculation says it will include li-on batteries, faster processer etc. (ie. be next gen)

I very strongly doubt that the new machine will have any kind of compatibility with GP2X. But fortunately, most GP2X software is open source and pretty portable (especially to ARM platforms). We'll probably see a lot of the good software ported over.

Exophase said:
I very strongly doubt that the new machine will have any kind of compatibility with GP2X. But fortunately, most GP2X software is open source and pretty portable (especially to ARM platforms). We'll probably see a lot of the good software ported over.
Or, for that matter, maybe some backports TO the gp2x...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back