Devs Seem To Love Gp2x Already. :)

It's not all that bad, at least they added functionality to easily swap data between the two processors without having to use main ram (so each processor knows when new data has arrived and is valid).

Perfect for a processor core :)

The Caches are 4k and 16k for this CPU. Isn't that kind of small? I mean what can you do with 4K nowdays?

16kb is quite big for an embedded processor actually, as most don't have any at all :)

I think you are comparing a low-power embedded processor with a desktop processor. Sure, Pentium's and AMD chips can have 512KB, 1MB & 2MB caches, but look at the power consumption: An ARM chip likes the one's in the GP32 & GP2X produce less than a watt of waste power, whilst the AMD and Intel processors produces 35 watts for the smallest, mobile, low power version.

Squidge posted on Sep 7 2005 at 05:50 PM said:
16kb is quite big for an embedded processor actually, as most don't have any at all :)

I think you are comparing a low-power embedded processor with a desktop processor. Sure, Pentium's and AMD chips can have 512KB, 1MB & 2MB caches, but look at the power consumption: An ARM chip likes the one's in the GP32 & GP2X produce less than a watt of waste power, whilst the AMD and Intel processors produces 35 watts for the smallest, mobile, low power version.

Hmmm. Ok but what can 4K actually be used for? I know you said that it is power efficient and doesn't waste as much energy but what can 4K or 16 K actually be used for?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as i know the programmers dont sit and program code for the cache (so no worries about making code fit into the memory space). It just chooses the most read memory to have in its cache memory. This would be memory addresses that are constantly having their values changed and reused again and again. Now in the cache the cpu doesn't have to go to the memory bus which means the cpu isn't left waiting for the memory bus to catch up. Its not about fitting code into the cache its just about fitting all the memory values that need to be changed quickly into this extremely fast memory. So really the cache can get around alot of bus congestion which would be quite present with 2 cpu's on the same memory bus.

Have to say that I love and use the GP32, PSP and Zodiac.

Each one has something that I like - GP32 has plenty of very good emulators, PSP the same plus commercial games and the Zodiac has the touch screen which does make a great difference in certain games (just a shame about the analogue control stick which is useable but crap compared to the GP32).

After much debate I tend to agree with DaveC regarding the issue of screen stretching - a resolution of 640 X 480 would however allow for better stretching but at the moment is too expensive.

Can't wait for the GP2X!!!!

Back