Gp2x Vs Pandora

sukhi-2006

We all know a new console always have better specs than the previous consoles, the gp2x has decent specs if not better than pandora, what differences will we have between the 2 consoles, they won't be huge difference when it comes to emulators, the gp2x last emulator is psx,jaguar and there isn't any other emulator after that both emu's aren't full speed, now we have pandora what it will gives us after jaguar,psx if there any other differences apart from emulators please give opnions and views, anything else you know.

sukhigp said:
...the gp2x has decent specs if not better than pandora...
Umm... seriously? :rolleyes:

Have you even seen the proposed specs and features of the Pandora? :p

EDIT: Are you flamebaiting yourself? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
sukhigp said:
We all know a new console always have better specs than the previous consoles, the gp2x has decent specs if not better than pandora, what differences will we have between the 2 consoles, they won't be huge difference when it comes to emulators, the gp2x last emulator is psx,jaguar and there isn't any other emulator after that both emu's aren't full speed, now we have pandora what it will gives us after jaguar,psx if there any other differences apart from emulators please give opnions and views, anything else you know.
Are you trying to set a record for LOL threads by one user?

By the way its been shown in FinalBurn by Sqidge theres at least a 3x performance increase. Your comments sound like you dont have any idea what the specs are. I dont think anyone has run psx on the pandora and posted actual numbers, and dont think ive ever heard of a jaguar on either.

Seriously all one has to see is that GP2X = 200 Mhz < Pandora = 625 Mhz. Question answered!

Pickle and manjuu you are getting all wrong, i didn't say that gp2x specs are better than pandora, the pandora has better specs of course it has higher cpu which is 625mhz i know that already, i'm not really convinced so it's 25mhz more than iphone.

Pickle you are wrong saying that gp2x is 200mhz that's not correct the gp2x f-100 and f-200 both are 240mhz look on the gp2x official site it's written there sort yourself out pickle.

there is no competition between the gp2x and pandora, gp2x cpu 240mhz,64mb ram,no 3d accelerator, pandora 625mhz,128mb ram,powerful 3d accelerator.

Can the pandora can connect control pads,hard drives, the gp2x does it with gp2x cradle.

ummm the pandora actually has a USB host built in (no extra purchase required) which will support a number of controllers, hard-drives, and a USB hub. plus it also has TV out built in. my question is will they have some way of connecting JTAG without doing open case surgery on the poor thing in case it gets bricked. a suggestion would be to have a small block of ROM for a bootloader only so the firm ware can still be upgraded, but if that goes haywire, the bootloader will always still be in tact.

Linkous: can it use any usb control pad and hard drives what about stuff like keyboard,mouse are compatible, I was thinking one thing it already has built in keyboard is it worth buying a keyboard for it.

The pandora has keyboard built in, games like quake can use that keyboard rather buying an external one that will be another advantage over gp2x which doesn't have built in keyboard.

All due respect, but I fail to see the porpouse of this thread.

We all know the specs (or proposed specs), and, the obvious conclusion regarding what you can do with one (gp2x) and what you will probably be able to do with the other (pandora).

And you cant predict what kind of software you will have on pandora ( we dont have the console and i've not heard of anyone developing for it yet.)

sukhigp, please use proper puntuation.

sukhigp said:
Pickle you are wrong saying that gp2x is 200mhz that's not correct the gp2x f-100 and f-200 both are 240mhz look on the gp2x official site it's written there sort yourself out pickle.
Actually Pickle's correct, the default clockspeed of the GP2X is 200Mhz.

CPU info from the MagicEyes site:

Dual CPU Cores
ARM920T : Host processor
ARM940T : Programmable Coprocessor
CPU Performance: 400+ MIPS with dual ARM9 processor
Operation frequency :200MHz
16 channel DMA
Interrupt, 4 Timers, WDT, Power management

MagicEyes MMSP 2

while the pandora is much better spec wise it will take awhile for the emulators to get made and all sorted out so il be sticking with my gp2x for a while after its release

Mutilator said:
while the pandora is much better spec wise it will take awhile for the emulators to get made and all sorted out
Porting an emulator which already runs under Linux and which is written in pure C should really not be a big deal, and I guess it will be done very quickly when the Pandora will be released.

Of course, it won't be very well optimized, but it does not really matter for 16 bits systems, considering the available power on the Pandora.

sukhigp said:
Pickle and manjuu you are getting all wrong, i didn't say that gp2x specs are better than pandora, the pandora has better specs of course it has higher cpu which is 625mhz i know that already, i'm not really convinced so it's 25mhz more than iphone.
You said: the gp2x has decent specs if not better than pandora.

sukhigp said:
right...everyone knows it's 200 Mhz, you can overclock for example I can clock to 250 Mhz. But it doesnt matter! The Pandora has a clock speed of 625 Mhz and on top of that its a more advanced core.
Your comments are like saying a P1 at 100 Mhz is better than a P2 at 600 mhz.

sukhigp said:
there is no competition between the gp2x and pandora, gp2x cpu 240mhz,64mb ram,no 3d accelerator, pandora 625mhz,128mb ram,powerful 3d accelerator.
Besides the clock for th GP2X your right. And if you know all of these stats why did you create this thread in the first place?

sukhigp said:
Can the pandora can connect control pads,hard drives, the gp2x does it with gp2x cradle.
Its going to have usb on it, so as long it can provide enough current it can do it direct from the unit. In the case it cant, you could just hook up a hub with its own power supply and run anything you want.

sukhigp said:
the gp2x has decent specs if not better than pandora
Read your own post, and tell us again if we were wrong. :p

How can we get it wrong when you clearly stated it. If you wrote it down by mistake, you still can't say we're wrong, as it was your fault. Whatever the case, you are either just contradicting your own post or the one who was wrong.

(It would help avoid confusion, if you proofread your own post & add punctuation marks on it before posting.)

Manjuu said:
sukhigp said:
the gp2x has decent specs if not better than pandora
Read your own post, and tell us again if we were wrong. :p

It could be intepreted the other way if your 1st language isn't English.

The "if not better" probably means "although not as good as"

BaDToaD said:
It could be intepreted the other way if your 1st language isn't English.

The "if not better" probably means "although not as good as"
Hmm... I find that too far-fetched, but oh well... :D

(I'm not really interested who was wrong anyway. I just wanted to point it out.)

Pickle said:
sukhigp said:
Are you trying to set a record for LOL threads by one user?

By the way its been shown in FinalBurn by Sqidge theres at least a 3x performance increase. Your comments sound like you dont have any idea what the specs are. I dont think anyone has run psx on the pandora and posted actual numbers, and dont think ive ever heard of a jaguar on either.

Seriously all one has to see is that GP2X = 200 Mhz < Pandora = 625 Mhz. Question answered!

MHZ mean absolutely nothing! I'm not saying the Pandora isn't a faster machine, but don't compare mhz ratings across different processors, it is meaningless.

In terms of console emulation, it probably won't buy much. PSX, N64, Jaguar, 32x, higher gba comp. and thats about it. And I'm not so sure about the Jaguar or N64. The N64 is a pretty powerful system and the Saturn and Jag by their architecture are difficult to emulate. Now, the small library of the Jag makes it easier.

In terms of Mame, you are probably looking at a big increase in playable games. Many of the GP2X mame games are way too slow to be considered playable. There will be some pc games that can be ported over. A PC emulator might make it over, but I don't know if dosbox will be the answer, most likely it will have to be written from scratch. My G4 Mac with an Nvdiea video card and 1gb ram can't run Keen on dosbox and the Pandora is Not a G4 Mac, of coarse, it doesn't have OSX stealing any of the processor either, so maybe it will.

Does anyone know if the battery is on the outside of the machine and easily swapable while you are out (like laptops), or is it permanently inside and tools are needed to change it (like ipods)

Does anyone know if the screen is good for reading? The gp32 had a good reading screen, but the gp2x sux for reading. I cant read for 10 minutes without a headache. I think it's the viewing angle and the way the back light works. (I've seen back lit pda's that are perfectly readable).

Chris

christo930 said:
MHZ mean absolutely nothing! I'm not saying the Pandora isn't a faster machine, but don't compare mhz ratings across different processors, it is meaningless.
I know where your coming from, but I think in this case we can take into account the different clock speeds. Both are ARM based procesors. It's not like we are comaring ARM to x86.
The numbers that i mentioned appear to support the increase clockspeed. (Id like to see more data, but 200x3 =600 is a little ironic) It would be nice to get more numbers for more apps, which I think we will start to see as more and more dev's get setups.

Pickle said:
christo930 said:
I know where your coming from, but I think in this case we can take into account the different clock speeds. Both are ARM based procesors. It's not like we are comaring ARM to x86.
The numbers that i mentioned appear to support the increase clockspeed. (Id like to see more data, but 200x3 =600 is a little ironic) It would be nice to get more numbers for more apps, which I think we will start to see as more and more dev's get setups.

I would like to see what fully optimized code on each platform compared to each other looks like (in terms of speed, not what the code looks like:)). It would certainly give more indication that clock speeds.

Chris

Back